Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trump is a chump

Magical Realist Offline
Is he even seriously running? Some speculate he's just marketing his brand by being in the spotlight. I knew this moron wasn't worth anyone's time when he rode the koo koo train to birtherville when Obama was elected. Now he's just confirmed everything I already knew. John McCain NOT a war hero? He's like the troll of the media world. "Hey, let's see what crap Trump spouted today?" Worse still, there's apparently a class of republicans that worship this guy. "Hey, he's rich! Must be a great person!" Goodbye Donald Trump. We hardly knew ye! Why don't you buy yourself a tropical island and move there.

[Image: 237x3001.jpg]
[Image: 237x3001.jpg]

C C Offline
Even though Trump is 69, he's still just being what he's always been. There's no excuse of inhibitory decline as there might be for Minsky and Clark (below), which Trump wouldn't desire anyway: Older People Can't Help It Even When They Want To Be More Tolerant.

Elitism, though, is actually the broader category to reference. Specialized prejudices are just particular strains of it. Marvin Minsky was circa 80 years old when he [putatively] went elitist during an interview back in 2007: No they [scientists] shouldn't have an ethical responsibility for their inventions. They should be able to do what they want. You shouldn't have to ask them to have the same values as other people. [...] ordinary citizens [...] The masses don't have any clear-cut goals or purpose.

Wesley Clark is still some years younger, but he's over 70 and could still qualify for one or another developing condition [wink] if his supporters need to exonerate him from this: Wesley Clark Calls for Internment Camps for "Radicalized" Americans.

EXCERPT: Retired general and former Democratic presidential candidate Wesley Clark on Friday called for World War II-style internment camps to be revived for “disloyal Americans.” [...] in the wake of the mass shooting in Chatanooga, Tennessee, Clark said that during World War II, “if someone supported Nazi Germany at the expense of the United States, we didn’t say that was freedom of speech, we put him in a camp, they were prisoners of war.”

He called for a revival of internment camps to help combat Muslim extremism, saying, “If these people are radicalized and they don’t support the United States and they are disloyal to the United States as a matter of principle, fine. It’s their right and it’s our right and obligation to segregate them from the normal community for the duration of the conflict.”

The comments were shockingly out of character for Clark, who after serving as supreme allied commander of NATO made a name for himself in progressive political circles. In 2004, his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination was highly critical of the Bush administration’s excessive response to the 9/11 terror attacks. Since then, he has been a critic of policies that violate the Geneva Convention, saying in 2006 that policies such as torture violate “the very values that [we] espouse.”

In a memoir written the following year, he also famously alleged that the White House under Bush had developed a massively imperialistic plan for the Middle East, which would see the administration attempt to “take out seven countries in five years,” beginning with the invasions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Earlier this year I spoke with Clark at the annual Lewis and Clark University Symposium on International Affairs in Portland, Oregon. The subject of our discussion was how to deal with the potential threat of foreign fighters returning from armed conflicts abroad. At the time, Clark spoke out strongly against “the politics of fear” and eroding democratic institutions and norms, while reiterating his criticism of the excesses committed by Bush-era neoconservatives under the banner of fighting terrorism.

But on Friday, he was advocating the revival of a policy widely considered to be among the most shameful chapters in American history: World War II domestic internment camps....
Magical Realist Offline
That's really sad about these aging figures. I hope I don't turn into a demented bigot at 70. I'd rather be a demented liberal. At least I wouldn't be all wound about the ethnicity of my caregivers in the nursing home, which is something that likely could lead to an early grave.