Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Your final moments

Magical Realist Online
Assuming that you will have the knowledge that you are about to die, like in a hospice situation, what will be your final moments and thoughts? Will you have regrets for how you lived? Will you be scared of dying? If you could do it all over again would you? How would you like to be remembered?
C C Offline
(Dec 27, 2021 08:18 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: Assuming that you will have the knowledge that you are about to die, like in a hospice situation, what will be your final moments and thoughts?

Just glad that it's about over, and all the nagging reasons and instincts of a complex loop that ever made me care about life to begin with will be gone afterwards, too. 

Quote:Will you have regrets for how you lived?

Not if the family members are being left in good shape.

Quote:Will you be scared of dying?

Might be alarmed if continuing to live in that bedridden situation indefinitely, should death be elusive.

Quote:If you could do it all over again would you?

I lean toward eternalism, so that's "sort of" what the situation would be anyway. Each persisting interval of cognition believes only itself and the chunk sequence of brain states it corresponds to is real, rather than all co-existing. The very last bit of consciousness before complete neural death (even if nothing more than the manifestations of a dream or hallucination) will have no memory relation and illusory transition to a "next moment" or state, though (thank goodness). End of the road from its POV.

Quote:How would you like to be remembered?

As long as I got my quota of butterflies squashed for impacting the future, I don't really care specifically. Once deceased, you can't do anything about Griswold type memoirs, anyway.
Magical Realist Online
(Dec 28, 2021 08:02 PM)C C Wrote:
(Dec 27, 2021 08:18 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: Assuming that you will have the knowledge that you are about to die, like in a hospice situation, what will be your final moments and thoughts?

Just glad that it's about over, and all the nagging reasons and instincts of a complex loop that ever made me care about life to begin with will be gone afterwards, too. 

Not if the family members are being left in good shape.

Might be alarmed if continuing to live in that bedridden situation indefinitely, should death be elusive.

I lean toward eternalism, so that's "sort of" what the situation would be anyway. Each persisting interval of cognition believes only itself and the chunk sequence of brain states it corresponds to is real, rather than all co-existing. The very last bit of consciousness before complete neural death (even if nothing more than the manifestations of a dream or hallucination) will have no memory relation and illusory transition to a "next moment" or state, though (thank goodness). End of the road from its POV.

As long as I got my quota of butterflies squashed for impacting the future, I don't really care specifically. Once deceased, you can't do anything about Griswold type memoirs, anyway.

I periodically allow myself the indulgence of believing in an afterlife. It seems to make this life more interesting, that it has this mystery to it and transcends the crappy givens of this world. But what and how that is constantly eludes me. Not that that becomes an excuse to dismiss an afterlife--that is because I can't conceive of it. I would never have been able to conceive of THIS life had I not been around to experience it. A conscious reality is a vastly complex and incredible thing. At most we can only weakly apprehend how it exists and comes to be.

"Mortality is the great rescuer, it finally takes you out of everything, and that makes life good, you know? Read Carl Jung. It makes life richer because this is it; none of us know where we go and this is the fun of it."---Anthony Hopkins
Zinjanthropos Offline
Probably feel a bit frustrated not knowing why I along with everything else is here in the first place.
Secular Sanity Offline

Did I love?

What value does 'Was I loved?', have to a dead man. Does he take it with him?

If I have regrets, I would’ve only loved life for what it could have been and not for what it was.

Yes.

Dying?...yes. Death?...no.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Report on Benghazi Secular Sanity 0 381 Jun 28, 2016 10:03 PM
Last Post: Secular Sanity