Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Opening the black box of peer review

C C Offline
https://physics.aps.org/articles/v14/169

EXCERPTS: After working for about a decade as a journal editor, I’m concerned that peer review is not the safeguard against bad science that we think it is. I’m convinced that peer review could be a lot better and that increased transparency in the process is key to improving it.

Peer review is an obvious improvement over earlier forms of research evaluation [...] But how well does our modern peer review system work? Does it keep bias, misconduct, and errors at bay? Alas, we don’t have enough data to answer these questions. As scientists, we frequently advocate for evidence-based practice, but we don’t always practice what we preach when it comes to keeping our own houses in order.

Despite a vibrant and growing field of research on peer review, focused mainly on medical journals, peer review is still mostly a black box. [...] Both scientists and the public have great confidence in peer review, considering it one of the primary mechanisms by which science vets itself. But seeing peer review from the inside has shaken my confidence.

In my view, there aren’t sufficient guarantees that each paper is thoroughly vetted—often, there is no vetting at all for the most basic qualities you’d expect a quality control system to check, such as computational reproducibility for data-based papers. There is evidence that many errors, even quite obvious ones, make it through peer review.

Moreover, several studies have demonstrated that status bias exerts a significant influence on reviewer evaluations. The impact of other types of bias—based on the gender, geographic location, or ethnic origin of a paper’s authors—still needs to be properly assessed.

Finally, there have been several proven cases of editorial misconduct, whereby editors were found to have manipulated the content of reviews or changed reviewers’ recommendations. I believe that the mechanisms for holding editors accountable in these cases are generally unsatisfactory.

There are thus sufficient reasons to question the validity and limitations of peer review, and it’s clear that we need to gather more evidence. But the opaqueness of peer review—which makes it ripe for error and bias— also makes it hard to study... (MORE - missing details)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article What’s wrong with peer review? + No, TCM has not been vindicated by science C C 1 83 Nov 13, 2023 03:09 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Article Corruption of the academic peer-review process (climate science) C C 4 160 Aug 5, 2023 05:29 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article Is peer review doomed? + AI makes sci fraud easier + Non-humans authoring sci papers C C 0 72 Mar 18, 2023 11:35 PM
  How scientific is ‘peer-reviewed’ science? C C 0 58 Feb 1, 2023 08:42 PM
  AI was author of research paper (controversy) + That viral screed against peer review C C 1 106 Jan 25, 2023 09:07 AM
Last Post: confused2
  The rise and fall of peer review C C 0 185 Dec 18, 2022 11:10 PM
  I published a fake paper in a ‘peer-reviewed’ journal C C 1 199 Nov 30, 2020 04:23 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Peer review: How is that working out for ya? C C 0 328 Jun 25, 2020 09:35 PM
  Peer review is wheel of misfortune + How sci gave its soul to the publishing industry C C 0 247 Feb 11, 2020 06:05 AM
  Peer reviewers getting sophomoric, unreliable & subjective + Is social priming bogus? C C 1 247 Dec 14, 2019 07:04 PM
Last Post: Syne