Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plague reshaped New England B4 Mayflower arrived + Were there female Viking warriors?

C C Offline
Was there such a thing as a female Viking warrior?
https://sciencenorway.no/history-researc...or/1940564

EXCERPT: . . . In truth, there are as many answers to that question as there are scholars to answer it, and anyone interested will find persuasive arguments both for and against. In the interest of full disclosure, I will offer my own assessment: I consider it likely. The extant evidence argues strongly in favour of the involvement of some women in war, and that some of these women were directly involved with violent acts.

There is no shortage of sources which can be argued to support the existence of female warriors, though nothing indicates this was a particularly common phenomenon. In recent years, the now famous weapons grave from Birka (Bj.581) has drawn much attention after it was revealed to contain a female body buried with high status weaponry (see original article here).

This is far from the only burial of a woman which contains weapons, though it is to date the only one whose sex is determined with a DNA analysis. It also stands apart in the impressive array of weapons it contains, as other cases tend to be more typically female graves with one or two weapons (axes and shields for instance) intermixed with other objects. Aside from burials, women with weapons are also found depicted on amulets, picture stones and tapestries from the period, and there are contemporary written sources describing women involved in battles and war. Altogether, I believe this supports the interpretation that some women could, and did, engage in war.

No academic consensus. However, as stated, there is nothing to suggest this was very common. Nor is any of the evidence I have mentioned here uncontested... (MORE - missing details)

How plague reshaped colonial New England before the Mayflower even arrived
https://theconversation.com/how-plague-r...ved-137570

INTRO: The Europeans who began colonising North America in the early 17th century steadfastly believed that God communicated his wrath through plague. They brought this conviction with them – as well as deadly disease itself.

Plague brought by early European settlers decimated Indigenous populations during an epidemic in 1616-19 in what is now southern New England. Upwards of 90% of the Indigenous population died in the years leading up to the arrival of the Mayflower in November 1620.

It’s still unclear what the disease behind the epidemic actually was. But this was the first of many plagues that swept through Algonquian territory – Algonquian being the linguistic term used to describe an array of Indigenous peoples stretching, among other places, along the northeastern seaboard of what is now the US.

The 1620 Charter of New England, given by King James I, mentioned this epidemic as a reason why God “in his great goodness and bountie towards us and our people gave the land to Englishmen”. Plague supported property rights – it informed the back story of Plymouth Colony that was founded after the arrival of the Mayflower.

The English believed God communicated through plague. But my research argues that declaring “God willed the plague” simply opened, rather than closed, the debate. Rulers, explorers and colonists in the 17th century had an interest in pinpointing the cause of disease. This was partly because plague was used to procure land deemed as empty, and even clear it of inhabitants... (MORE)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humans created ‘moving pictures’ 20,000 years ago + Viking skin nailed to church? C C 0 61 Apr 22, 2022 07:43 PM
Last Post: C C
  The English village of Eyam...and the plague Leigha 1 109 Jan 10, 2022 01:47 AM
  Viking longship was engineering marvel + Plague victims did receive individual burial C C 0 102 Jun 17, 2021 11:39 PM
  Did a Viking woman named Gudrid really travel to North America in 1000 A.D.? C C 5 219 Mar 5, 2021 09:50 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Was there a Viking Age 2000 years before the known one? (astonishing finds) C C 0 121 Jun 20, 2020 08:48 PM
  Aboriginal scars from frontier wars + Worship of goddess spread from Egypt to England C C 0 112 Mar 22, 2020 08:36 PM
  Jane Austen’s fiction: an accurate portrayal of life in Georgian England? C C 1 231 Sep 3, 2019 11:11 PM
Last Post: confused2
  America’s first serial killer family + Mayan megalopolis found + Lost Viking army C C 0 403 Feb 4, 2018 07:08 PM
  How Euclid once ruled the world + How new geometries reshaped it C C 0 441 May 14, 2016 05:29 AM
  Orwell's early dislike of England + Victorian cult of death C C 0 483 Feb 5, 2016 05:46 PM