Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is there an ideal intelligence to write a bestseller?

Ostronomos Offline
As I was attempting a book on my life and the incredible powers of insight I received while high I assessed my approach with regard to my normality and ordinary giftedness and failed to gain foresight into what the future of the book would be like. I have an IQ in the high 130s but I feel that I need to boost my intelligence to write a bestseller but I am not capable of doing so at the moment. My question is thus: Is an IQ in the high 130s sufficient to write a bestseller? I appreciate your answers.
Syne Offline
It's not even sufficient for you to write compelling posts on a forum.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Only eight I’s and 5 My’s in four sentences. Can only imagine what an entire book would contain. Perhaps once analyzed, that paragraph indicates you’re one of the loneliest persons on Earth. Before it’s too late you might want to consider a change, moving away from parents’ basement and venturing out into the big world.
Syne Offline
Actual life experience is key to good writing.
C C Offline
(Nov 14, 2021 09:42 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: As I was attempting a book on my life and the incredible powers of insight I received while high I assessed my approach with regard to my normality and ordinary giftedness and failed to gain foresight into what the future of the book would be like. I have an IQ in the high 130s but I feel that I need to boost my intelligence to write a bestseller but I am not capable of doing so at the moment. My question is thus: Is an IQ in the high 130s sufficient to write a bestseller? I appreciate your answers.

"Bestsellers" will not in principle coincide with being well-crafted or critically applauded works, anyway. For instance, a celebrity famous via another profession, with an IQ score of 80, might have one due to their huge fan base.[footnote]

William Faulkner: "A writer needs three things, experience, observation, and imagination—any two of which, at times any one of which—can supply the lack of the others." --interview in The Paris Review, Issue 12, Spring 1956

20 Pieces of Writing Advice from William Faulkner
https://lithub.com/20-pieces-of-writing-...-faulkner/
- - - - - 

For the serious, physical book distribution tradition -- don't bother sending an unsolicited copy of a manuscript or file directly to a company, unless you're eager to lose it. You need a literary agent to mediate for you, after convincing him/her of any potential. (Though some will be glad to take a client's money even if the writer is at crayon level.)

Alternatively, you might pay the expenses of a self-publishing house, to print _X_ copies.

There are "free" and fee-based digital publishing platforms that may uncritically accept anything for display, but don't expect work in the first context to be marketed or promoted. Might as well be blogs.
- - - - - -

Before AI, I expect many a famous author's errors in their manuscripts kept the human copywriters employed by a publisher up late at night, or amply provided with job security.

- - - footnote - - -

Britney Spears reportedly has an IQ of 104, and wrote a book with her mother.

Kourtney Kardashian reportedly has an IQ score between 80 to 90 and wrote a book with her sisters.

In mildly higher contrast, George W. Bush, with an IQ of 125, and has written circa five books.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Wrote a couple of books. First one contained one word followed by 100 blank pages. Begins with I, thus the title. Second book entitled a, written exactly like my first.

Both Critically acclaimed:

“The book leaves everything to the imagination”
“Don’t know how he did it, but the author wrote my biography”
“I know nothing and this book confirmed it”
“This book leaves nothing to the imagination”
“I was left staring blankly into space”

There will be a sequel to each but will be published posthumously. Same format and wording except both books will finish with The End.
C C Offline
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Submitting an unnecessary(?), space-consuming "like" post here.