Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SUVs and .. Vogons?

confused2 Offline
It has gradually become apparent that (in the UK) the majority of vehicles that sit with their engines running while parked are SUVs. In my latest encounter with such a vehicle I was minded to approach the driver and point out that the the engine of his vehicle was running and consuming fuel and adding CO2 to the atmosphere for no purpose whatsoever. On closer inspection, in the driver's seat, playing with a mobile phone, was a slug-like entity with such a close resemblance to the fictional(?) Vogon ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogon ) that I decided any attempt to reason with it would be a waste of time. Also I didn't want to get dribbled on, or anything else the creature might do when roused.
Syne Offline
Uh huh, the poetry.

But then, you shouldn't be such a Karen either.
Leigha Offline
Did that really happen, confused? Big Grin
confused2 Offline
(Oct 1, 2021 01:13 AM)Leigha Wrote: Did that really happen, confused? Big Grin
Yes that did really happen.

After reading the "Uh huh, the poetry" response I was like "I won't bother to reply" and didn't look again. With the shine having worn off the later thread I looked again.

If the poetry involved fat slobs then I feel I should make clear I'm not fat. Hopefully we can agree to leave slob on file.

As I see it the pointless waste referred to in the OP is a metaphor for pointless waste. Obviously not a metaphophor but it does define some sort of dividing line between (for example) refugees creating an ever increasing area of barren land around themselves simply to survive and those enjoying three days in orbit at unguessable environmental cost.

I'm not intending to take a swipe at Spacex, I suspect even the children in the forest would think it worth giving up a tree or two for a chance to go to Mars.

But.

I do suspect that most wealth (including mine) is the result of oppression and (at worst) slavery. The nice yachts in the pretty harbours can (maybe) be traced back to the forests that are cut down to raise cattle or grow palm oil. 

China is exactly what we (the 'west') made it to be. We thought it was a free lunch. We fed the dragon and when you feed a dragon it grows stronger.

Enough for one post.
Syne Offline
(Oct 5, 2021 10:16 PM)confused2 Wrote: After reading the "Uh huh, the poetry" response I was like "I won't bother to reply" and didn't look again. With the shine having worn off the later thread I looked again.

If the poetry involved fat slobs then I feel I should make clear I'm not fat. Hopefully we can agree to leave slob on file.

So after referring to Vogons, you don't understand the reference to Vogon poetry?
stryder Offline
(Oct 5, 2021 10:16 PM)confused2 Wrote:
(Oct 1, 2021 01:13 AM)Leigha Wrote: Did that really happen, confused? Big Grin
Yes that did really happen.

After reading the "Uh huh, the poetry" response I was like "I won't bother to reply" and didn't look again. With the shine having worn off the later thread I looked again.

As I see it the pointless waste referred to in the OP is a metaphor for pointless waste. Obviously not a metaphophor but it does define some sort of dividing line between (for example) refugees creating an ever increasing area of barren land around themselves simply to survive and those enjoying three days in orbit at unguessable environmental cost.

I'm not intending to take a swipe at Spacex, I suspect even the children in the forest would think it worth giving up a tree or two for a chance to go to Mars.

But.

I do suspect that most wealth (including mine) is the result of oppression and (at worst) slavery. The nice yachts in the pretty harbours can (maybe) be traced back to the forests that are cut down to raise cattle or grow palm oil. 

China is exactly what we (the 'west') made it to be. We thought it was a free lunch. We fed the dragon and when you feed a dragon it grows stronger.

Enough for one post.

TBH, yachts can come from sustainable resources if done properly (made with wood from managed woodland), the problem of course is current production trends to involving a myriad of chemicals and plastics. One such problem is the ever increasing tide of fibreglass hulls as peoples boats reach there end of usefulness. (There is small headway in recycling, most are crushed and sent to landfills.)

Some of those smaller "yachts" (not to be mixed up with those monstrosities that cost more than a small countries economy to purchase) are likely inhabited by "Sea pikey's" (Posidons varient rather than the lead roof lifting/ crazy pathing kind). The vessels can be lived in by people that are a bit like starving artists and don't really get the chance to travel further than where they are berthed or anchored due to the costs (or the absence of man power, although recently a 14 yr old girl solo'd the Atlantic, so there should be no excuses).

Speaking on slavery I recently have been looking through my family tree and found that one branch off of a family that went over to the states were slave owners. That generate a mixture of responses, revolution, hatred towards how a family could go that way, denial in the sense they are a different branch that I don't have direct line to. The only good thing that came from finding it out, the only solice was the fact that one of those slaves was one of the founding members of the Free African Union Society. Unfortunately though I couldn't say it exonerates how people were, especially since I don't know what happened to "Pompey" (In short the Pompey I mention was a slave boy left in a will to a person "Forever"... sometimes those family trees can encrouch disturbing places. Personally I prefer another part of the family which was more into piracy of Spanish traders... but thats somethings else entirely.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros and cons of Ford's new aluminum trucks/SUVs Magical Realist 4 2,768 May 18, 2015 10:22 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist