Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

US economy & politics

Leigha Offline
After reading a few comments on Twitter earlier, about the state of the US economy, this tweet struck me as extreme:

“One party is trying to single handedly destroy the economy while the other is trying to single handedly improve it.”

Do you agree with that? The tweet didn’t specify which party was responsible for either, but I guess that depends on how you perceive the US economy and your political leanings? lol

Do you see that tweet as extreme or accurate? I don’t think that any one administration should take credit for all that has gone well or take full blame for what has gone wrong, during its term.

If anything, it seems like a rolling effect of past administrations - good and bad; different political parties “undoing” the policies of previous administrations.
Syne Offline
That's pretty accurate, if it's referring to the Democrat propensity to perpetually increase spending and taxes, which is obviously unsustainable.
Many things can be credited/blamed on the current administration. It's just that Democrats have lied about it so often, to cover their own failures, that those ignorant of history believe them. Every new administration has problems left over from the last, but when's the last time you heard a Republican blame the past administration for their own failures?

Obama's weak economic recovery, after the recession under Bush, doesn't explain the economy boom under Trump. Nor does the Trump boom explain the inflation under Biden. Don't make excuses for bad leaders, and don't believe every excuse they feed you.
C C Offline
(Sep 30, 2021 04:47 PM)Leigha Wrote: After reading a few comments on Twitter earlier, about the state of the US economy, this tweet struck me as extreme:

“One party is trying to single handedly destroy the economy while the other is trying to single handedly improve it.”

Do you agree with that? The tweet didn’t specify which party was responsible for either, but I guess that depends on how you perceive the US economy and your political leanings? lol

Perspective, yeah.

In terms of bygone broadcast coverage (before these catered specializations of the internet), the Fairness Doctrine gave the impression for almost four decades that coverage and commentary was politically temperate (arguably banishing extremism from the airwaves). Collaterally engendering the potential illusion that both the management behind such and the American public at large were "sensible" and competent in that respect.

But otherwise, the country has always been overzealous in terms of polemical verbiage. The World Wide Web was born into that returned, traditional "chaos" from the start, since it was years after the FD ended. It never participated in that any more than the scattered, independent print literature of previous eras.

Because it dominated radio and television for so long, the aura of the Fairness Doctrine still lingers -- people think that "island" in the 20th-century reflected a norm, they yearn for a lost idyll. When it was actually just an instituted aberration.

The parties were more ideologically mixed back in those long ago days, each less monolithically polarized. But engagement among competing thought orientations was robustly paranoid and confrontational. Before blacklisting, people wholly wore it on their sleeves that they were _X_. And the 19th-century was blazing with its own angry factions reciprocally accusing and condemning each other.

On the streets, it was that way during '60s, too, but the old media conveyed the appearance that there was something "above the crude market exploitation", a non-passionate sanity regulating the coverage and ensuring facts or balance. There were counterpoised public service programs and the Uncle Walters there on TV and radio supplying the reassurance.
Leigha Offline
(Sep 30, 2021 05:55 PM)Syne Wrote: That's pretty accurate, if it's referring to the Democrat propensity to perpetually increase spending and taxes, which is obviously unsustainable.
Many things can be credited/blamed on the current administration. It's just that Democrats have lied about it so often, to cover their own failures, that those ignorant of history believe them. Every new administration has problems left over from the last, but when's the last time you heard a Republican blame the past administration for their own failures?

Obama's weak economic recovery, after the recession under Bush, doesn't explain the economy boom under Trump. Nor does the Trump boom explain the inflation under Biden. Don't make excuses for bad leaders, and don't believe every excuse they feed you.
It’s weird you say this because I agree - Biden’s blunders have been glaringly obvious. No amount of Jen Psaki’s spin will change that. Even some a Democrats have lost faith in him.
Syne Offline
(Oct 1, 2021 01:20 AM)Leigha Wrote: It’s weird you say this because I agree - Biden’s blunders have been glaringly obvious. No amount of Jen Psaki’s spin will change that. Even some a Democrats have lost faith in him.

Psaki couldn't spin a record on a turntable. She routinely just stammers out some nonsense, trying to avoid any answer at all. Again, compare Trump's press secretaries, who, even if you believe they were lying, would answer questions head on. The old school, more moderate Democrats are finding why Reagan said he didn't leave the Democrat party, the party left him.
Leigha Offline
Stay tuned...Biden’s speech coming up to share his spending agenda. From the sounds of it, it’s going to force businesses to move jobs overseas. It just sounds too oppressive for American companies to shoulder without it adversely affecting the economy.

Too much government power, if you ask me. Sad

Didn’t Biden run his campaign as a moderate? Hmm.
Syne Offline
Republicans knew Biden's campaign was a bait and switch.
From before the election:

The Biden Bait-and-Switch
He runs on normalcy and nostalgia while quietly promising to enact radical policies.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-biden-b...1596734803

Most outlandish was the bait-and-switch Biden tried to pull on his leadership of the Democratic Party. He tried to refute Trump’s claim that he would be in hock to the party’s left wing by saying “I am the Democratic Party,” a claim of undemocratic omnipotence that would be roundly condemned if Trump were to say that about the Republicans. A few minutes later, however, Biden refused to answer moderator Chris Wallace’s question on whether he had called the Democratic mayor of Portland or Oregon’s Democratic governor to try to persuade them to call in the National Guard to end what he said was more than 100 straight days of often violent protests.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/...oting-him/

"The compromise they came up with, if implemented, will make Biden the most progressive president since FDR," [Bernie} Sanders told MSNBC. "It did not have, needless to say, everything that I wanted, everything that Biden wanted."
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-m...dr-sanders

Too bad Democrat voters couldn't be bothered to find out who they were really voting for, instead opting to vote for "anyone but Trump."
Leigha Offline
I wonder what programs will be cut?