Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Redditor who accidentally spent a year talking to himself

Leigha Offline
Ran across this story while searching for something else. Happy it ended on a high note; poor guy posting for a year, and couldn't understand why no one was responding to his posts. Thought it was interesting that despite the silence, he kept contributing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-47888242
C C Offline
I've seen complaints of universal invisibility before that didn't seem the result of using "Ignore", and remarks about being tempted to do something outrageous just to see if it would finally garner a reaction, ban, etc.[1] At least there's a reason now for Reddit, if not other discussion venues (same might or might not be applicable).

- - - footnote - - -

[1] I wasn't registered at those places, and was too indolent to do so just to chime in and say, "Hey, I see you." They were surely old posts, anyway (_X_ long since departed).
Leigha Offline
Lol ^

No matter what he could’ve tried, since he was “shadow banned,” there was zero chance of his posts being seen. He seems so empathetic though, concerned that his post wasn’t seen in the diabetes discussion and he fears he may have (not) helped someone. That’s a kindness not seen much on the Internet.

I will wander upon Reddit threads on occasion but don’t see the appeal, really. The way Reddit “cascades” its threads was never aesthetically pleasing to me.
elte Offline
I recall making use of a subreddit that tests if one has been shadow banned or not. What could have been happening up to that point, is most people don't relate to me so passed over my threads or posts.
C C Offline
(Aug 12, 2021 03:28 AM)elte Wrote: I recall making use of a subreddit that tests if one has been shadow banned or not.  What could have been happening up to that point, is most people don't relate to me so passed over my threads or posts.

Wouldn't worry. If the place features a count of views indicating that they're being read, and one's posts don't concern asking a question, then not receiving replies could be a good thing. That is, they'd certainly let us know if we crossed the line, offended, etc. Squeaky wheels get the attention: whether it's a load of grease into the zerk (negative reaction) or being replaced (banned).
Leigha Offline
https://www.online-tech-tips.com/compute...on-reddit/

Sounds like it's not easy to get shadow banned - it takes being an obvious troll, spamming, posting advertising links, death threats etc...

Didn't realize Reddit has over 400 million active users monthly? It looks a little like the Wild West on there, but I guess that's why moderation is so strong.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Goats drawn to happy human faces + Dolphin talking with porpoises? (animal community) C C 0 243 Aug 30, 2018 04:17 PM
Last Post: C C