Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Why Facebook and Telepathy Don't Mix

C C Offline
http://www.informationweek.com/it-life/w...SS_IWK_EDT

EXCERPT: Mark Zuckerberg said in a Facebook chat this week that he believed the future of communication was telepathy. Presumably, he also meant that was the future of Facebook. No more status updates. No more walls. No more messenger. Not even pokes. Just broadcast your thoughts. Sounds cool, but in practice, what would that be like? It sounds like a potential nightmare to me. [...] A constant barrage of thoughts. It would be like self-imposed ADHD. Heck, sometimes that is what it already feels like when you read Facebook....
Magical Realist Offline
The problem with telepathy is deciding at what point a thought in your mind becomes your own thought and not someone else's. Unless there is some intrusive quality to someone else's thoughts, like a rude pop-up on your computer screen. Then you can imagine the hell of just reading a computer screen all day long cluttered with continuous pop-ups of other people's thoughts! Thank goodness for privacy of thought, where only our "own" thoughts rise up to us from the infinitely deep well of creative inspiration.
stryder Offline
The sort of Telepathy that Zuckerberg is likely referring to is an artificially constructed one. Where by a person who wants to use "telepathy" would require probably having a contract with a service that converts thought to radiowaves and back again. This could either be done with something like a headset or using a technology. It could just go the whole hog and envelope the world where waveforms through a persons skull (bone reverberation technology) or a more sophisticated technique that can read directly from thought.

In any sense, it's not that a person would have the choice or freedom to decide who they wanted to communicate without having some form of medium of communication (A corporation viewing our every thought, listening for when we want to communicate and/or stealing when we aren't looking.)

I've known about the reality for years due to my own personal experience. I try to explain it on occasion however it's very messy to explain, mostly because the people responsible for doing it don't want me identifying who they are or how long they have been operating their equipment. (Let's just say this started before 9/11 and I still have reservations as to whether 9/11 would have ever occurred if they hadn't started developing the technology)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Nobel disease + No evidence of YouTube antivaxx + Facebook's design: misinformation C C 0 73 Sep 16, 2023 06:45 PM
Last Post: C C
  Facebook bans Myanmar army chief, top brass over human rights abuses C C 0 346 Aug 27, 2018 06:02 PM
  Facebook blocks links to UK women's rights group after 'transphobia' complaints C C 0 322 Jul 24, 2018 04:06 PM
  Facebook is banning women for saying mean things about men C C 2 378 Dec 6, 2017 12:02 PM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  Will Facebook Decide Which News Is Fake? C C 1 294 Sep 1, 2017 09:11 PM
Last Post: confused2
  What Facebook knows about your photos C C 1 435 Jan 5, 2017 07:34 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  What I have learned from 3 weeks on Facebook Magical Realist 8 1,380 Oct 14, 2016 08:24 PM
Last Post: Yazata
  Facebook key to identifying thousands with inflammatory back pain C C 0 507 Jun 12, 2016 04:08 AM
  Take advantage of your Facebook Fans Posts C C 0 521 Oct 30, 2015 07:32 PM
  Prayer In The Facebook Age C C 1 933 Nov 29, 2014 12:12 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist