Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Spiritual but not religious

Magical Realist Offline
https://www.barna.com/research/meet-spir...religious/

"I’m spiritual but not religious.” You’ve heard it—maybe even said it—before. But what does it actually mean? Can you be one without the other? Once synonymous, “religious” and “spiritual” have now come to describe seemingly distinct (but sometimes overlapping) domains of human activity. The twin cultural trends of deinstitutionalization and individualism have, for many, moved spiritual practice away from the public rituals of institutional Christianity to the private experience of God within. In this conclusion of a two-part series on faith outside the church (read the first part, on those who “love Jesus but not the church”), Barna takes a close look at the segment of the American population who are “spiritual but not religious.” Who are they? What do they believe? How do they live out their spirituality daily?"
Syne Offline
"Religious" is something done religiously (repeated regularity) like attending church, etc..
"Spiritual" is can mean everything from "in name only" to being an adherent but not a participant.
Magical Realist Offline
(Jul 3, 2021 09:17 PM)Syne Wrote: "Religious" is something done religiously (repeated regularity) like attending church, etc..
"Spiritual" is can mean everything from "in name only" to being an adherent but not a participant.

Religious means devoted to a creed and a set of beliefs and practices that are part of being an adherent to a certain institutionalized religion. Spiritual is more experientially based and takes as its inspiration the events of everyday life as it occurs. Religion is belief or faith based while spirituality is aesthetically or feelings based.
Yazata Offline
I'm not clear what "Spiritual but not Religious" even means. Both words ('spiritual' and 'religious') lack any clear and distinct definition.

I guess that lots of people say it when they aren't members of any particular organized religious group and and don't identify with or otherwise believe in the doctrines of any particular religious tradition... but nevertheless still feel that there's a deeper transcendental dimension to reality and/or that there's some kind of vaguely conceived "higher power".

I've met lots of people like that and I feel that way myself in some of my moods.
Leigha Offline
You can be spiritual and believe in God...and follow a particular religion. But, you can be spiritual, and not religious at all. Many people aren't comfortable with religion because some of them tend to focus on rules and rituals, but others desire that type of structure ''around'' their spirituality. I don't think that spirituality and religion need to be at odds with one another. But, if I were to describe spirituality in general, it's probably trying to find the ''divine'' in the mundane?

Interestingly, a growing number of Americans right now, consider themselves to be spiritual but not religious, so it makes me wonder if there's something inherent in humans that drives us towards spirituality.
Syne Offline
(Jul 4, 2021 07:32 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: Religion is belief or faith based while spirituality is aesthetically or feelings based.

If that were true, spirituality would just be another name for hedonism.
C C Offline
(Sep 8, 2021 05:49 AM)Leigha Wrote: [...] Many people aren't comfortable with religion because some of them tend to focus on rules and rituals, but others desire that type of structure ''around'' their spirituality. [...]

One encounters the occasional Wiccan who claims they don't literally believe in its occultism, but just like adhering to its principles and ritual practices. Along with, arguably, a preference for any aesthetics and fashion it has, similar to Goth sub-culture. (And I suppose, that "family tradition" aspect, too, after the decades and generations accumulate.)

Ultimately, there are certain ripples of people who need to carry on ceremonial "make-believe" or game-like roleplaying deep into adulthood. Perhaps more benignly related to the "intoxicated mindset" where partying, drugs, and wild sex fill the slot for teens/college-youth, belated grown-ups, managers/execs with a closet life and rich celebs who can't give up whatever childhood, recreational need that playground activities once fulfilled.   

https://www.learnreligions.com/pagan-and...ls-1729589

Ritual is a common practice among the spiritually connected. Pagan rituals have survived via religious beliefs, ethnic cultures, and family traditions of our roots. New generation rituals can also be invented through purposeful intention. If an action empowers you, ritualize it. Share your rituals.
Leigha Offline
(Sep 8, 2021 03:51 PM)C C Wrote:
(Sep 8, 2021 05:49 AM)Leigha Wrote: [...] Many people aren't comfortable with religion because some of them tend to focus on rules and rituals, but others desire that type of structure ''around'' their spirituality. [...]

One encounters the occasional Wiccan who claims they don't literally believe in its occultism, but just like adhering to its principles and ritual practices. Along with, arguably, a preference for any aesthetics and fashion it has, similar to Goth sub-culture. (And I suppose, that "family tradition" aspect, too, after the decades and generations accumulate.)

Ultimately, there are certain ripples of people who need to carry on ceremonial "make-believe" or game-like roleplaying deep into adulthood. Perhaps more benignly related to the "intoxicated mindset" where partying, drugs, and wild sex fill the slot for teens/college-youth, belated grown-ups, managers/execs with a closet life and rich celebs who can't give up whatever childhood, recreational need that playground activities once fulfilled.   

https://www.learnreligions.com/pagan-and...ls-1729589

Ritual is a common practice among the spiritually connected. Pagan rituals have survived via religious beliefs, ethnic cultures, and family traditions of our roots. New generation rituals can also be invented through purposeful intention. If an action empowers you, ritualize it. Share your rituals.

Adding to this, many people yearn for structure and routine - religion can provide that, but there comes a point when the traditions and such are the only things that hold some followers to certain faith beliefs (not the core doctrines themselves).

Leaving Catholicism was difficult for me in this regard, because I missed the cohesiveness that can be found in the rituals and traditions, and that’s often the case for so many (coupled with guilt over abandoning the “religion of our parents”).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Were spiritual rites in the Devil’s Church in Koli based on acoustic resonance? C C 0 109 Nov 27, 2023 06:47 PM
Last Post: C C
  Sports as a spiritual experience Magical Realist 2 112 Sep 10, 2023 08:15 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Riding the wild wave of a spiritual emergency Magical Realist 2 112 May 21, 2023 07:44 PM
  Most people don’t really want to be happy (spiritual bliss) C C 1 127 Sep 28, 2022 08:58 PM
Last Post: Leigha
  Can mathematics be spiritual? C C 1 91 May 7, 2022 06:42 PM
  Artificial intelligence holds promise, but also potential risks for religious freedom C C 1 65 Apr 30, 2022 01:25 PM
Last Post: stryder
  Scientists carry greater credibility than spiritual gurus C C 3 111 Feb 11, 2022 08:51 PM
  Redwood forest returned to Native American tribes (spiritual reclamation) C C 0 53 Jan 26, 2022 07:09 AM
Last Post: C C
  NASA hires religious experts, for ETs + India's crackdown on religious minorities C C 4 138 Jan 1, 2022 01:19 AM
Last Post: stryder
  The spiritual consciousness of Christof Koch (interview) C C 1 106 Oct 15, 2021 11:45 PM