Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What’s Happened to the Headline Writer?

Zinjanthropos Offline
Headline CBC Sports’ website: Jokic, Nuggets whether Lillard’s hot shooting barrage to down Blazzers.

Now this is a AP article so I’m not sure who is responsible for the bad spelling. Obviously whether should be weather & Blazzers should be Blazers. But does it matter if the words are incorrectly spelled? 

I find it hard to believe that AP, CBC or the author can make a mess out of that. Can’t be too hard to land a headline writer job at either of these two agencies. Makes me wonder how the legal profession is handling grammar & spelling these days. Surely legal documents have to be precise, so I imagine that part of society still proofreads or at the least has a person skilled in written language to properly put something together.
C C Offline
I see that a lot.

They've handed proofreading over to AI algorithms.

Or the earliest Zoomers, who are circa 25 years old now, don't know spelling and grammar due to software being available to do that for them all their lives.

Or it is some Woke thing where all the sub-cultural deviations of the English language have to be represented percentage-wise in paper and online publications.

The common explanation underlying all three is that the human race is getting stupider. Here come the Eloi. Maybe smart machines will be the Morlocks.

- - - - - -

EDIT: One I forgot is that English is a recently acquired language for some staff members, or which they have not much improved upon over the years.

That would be me on both counts if I was an expat working in an Arabic country.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(May 25, 2021 08:19 PM)C C Wrote: I see that a lot.

They've handed proofreading over to AI algorithms.

Well I just checked the CBC website again and the headline has been corrected. So now the question is: Who or what is doing corrections? Machine correcting machine, machine correcting human, human correcting machine, or human correcting human? 

Hukt on foniks werkt fer me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article What happened to Flight MH370? Don’t believe what Netflix’s documentary tells you C C 0 51 Mar 20, 2023 11:06 PM
Last Post: C C
  The Mind of John McPhee: A deeply private writer reveals his obsessive process C C 0 282 Oct 3, 2017 04:25 AM
  Stormin' Norman: The writer as celebrity, and vice versa C C 0 543 Dec 8, 2014 04:22 AM