Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New study links intrinsic religious motivation to higher-level patterns of thought

C C Offline
https://www.psypost.org/2021/05/new-stud...ught-60857

INTRO: New research provides evidence that specific forms of religious motivation are associated with higher-level patterns of thought. The findings, which appear in the Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, shed light on the cognitive underpinnings of the relationship between religion and meaning in life.

“I became interested in the psychology of religion after having taught it at a small liberal arts college I previously worked at,” said study author Jay L. Michaels, an assistant professor at the University of South Florida at Sarasota-Manatee.

“In preparing the course, I learned how hundreds of psychology and medical studies identified that people who are religious tend to have lower rates of heart disease, better outcomes following surgical procedures, and live longer. To me, this was interesting, as at the time it was unclear what exactly contributed to these health benefits.”

“So, I theorized that perhaps religion alters how people think,” Michaels said. “I specifically began testing Dr. Crystal Park’s (University of Connecticut) theory that religion enhances meaning in life, where sense of meaning is known to help people cope with stress. I theorized that if this is accurate, then religion should alter the underlying mental processes that contribute to perceived meaning. This particular article is based on this logic.”

In the study... (MORE)
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:“The main takeaway from this study is that people who are motivated to pursue religion or spirituality and integrate it fully into their life while finding it contributing to what they experience tend to think in more meaningful ways,” Michaels told PsyPost. “That is, religious as well as spiritual people tend to experience thought patterns that are more organized and provide deeper sense of meaning. This meaning can help be a sort of mental anchor during times of distress.”

Makes sense. There is an underlying unswerving belief in universal order in the spiritually-minded, such that they find encouragement even in times of chaos and upheaval..
Leigha Offline
For many spiritual people, I think we find a ''meaning to life'' in our beliefs, that alone can be quite motivating to continue on with our faith/spirituality/religion. But, everyone's ''journey'' can be inspired by a number of independent factors, that to skeptics...might seem irrational.

Does ''higher-level patterns of thought'' equate to rational thinking? Many skeptics believe that spiritual/religious people come to their beliefs strictly through emotion, indoctrination, fear, etc and not a well-reasoned thought process. Not saying that other factors don't come into play for some religious people who may be following ''their parents' religion,'' etc.. but it's definitely not the case for many believers, who have come to their beliefs through logic, emotion, experience and a sense of fulfillment. All of that serves as their ''evidence,'' but probably wouldn't suffice for someone who doesn't follow their faith.
C C Offline
(Aug 31, 2021 07:14 PM)Leigha Wrote: [...] Does ''higher-level patterns of thought'' equate to rational thinking? Many skeptics believe that spiritual/religious people come to their beliefs strictly through emotion, indoctrination, fear, etc and not a well-reasoned thought process. Not saying that other factors don't come into play for some religious people who may be following ''their parents' religion,'' etc.. but it's definitely not the case for many believers, who have come to their beliefs through logic, emotion, experience and a sense of fulfillment. All of that serves as their ''evidence,'' but probably wouldn't suffice for someone who doesn't follow their faith.

The first below isn't exactly the one I was looking for, but I guess it grazes the neighborhood. Connectivity or relationship spotting underlies discerning patterns. “This is not a study about whether God exists, this is a study about why and how brains come to believe in gods. Our hypothesis is that people whose brains are good at subconsciously discerning patterns in their environment may ascribe those patterns to the hand of a higher power.”

Unconscious learning underlies belief in God, study suggests
https://gumc.georgetown.edu/news-release...ef-in-god/#

Individuals who can unconsciously predict complex patterns, an ability called implicit pattern learning, are likely to hold stronger beliefs that there is a god who creates patterns of events in the universe, according to neuroscientists. (backup)
- - - - - -

People with a sense of oneness experience greater life satisfaction
https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/...tisfaction

People who believe in oneness -- the idea that everything in the world is connected and interdependent -- appear to have greater life satisfaction than those who don't, regardless of whether they belong to a religion or don't, according to new research. (backup)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research ‘Nones’ now largest religious category In US, new report says C C 3 165 Jan 27, 2024 09:14 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Research Study examines how religious faith bolsters family hope and unity C C 2 134 Oct 25, 2023 05:45 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Article The New Apocalypticism (secular adoption of the religious doomsaying tradition) C C 3 134 Aug 28, 2023 05:56 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  NASA hires religious experts, for ETs + India's crackdown on religious minorities C C 4 138 Jan 1, 2022 01:19 AM
Last Post: stryder
  Study links evangelical Christianity to phallic insecurity in the US C C 1 105 Apr 17, 2021 07:39 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Spiritual cult trembles from new reach of para-religious regime (Marxist justice) C C 0 158 Jul 27, 2020 04:13 AM
Last Post: C C
  NY wants to ban religious vaccine exemptions + UK non-religious figures jump 46% C C 3 852 Apr 14, 2019 06:36 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Creationist sues park service + Study: Atheists more intelligent than religious folks C C 3 525 May 24, 2017 07:42 PM
  Why do atheists eat babies? + Spiritual struggles & health + Religious actions study C C 23 4,830 Feb 7, 2017 03:41 PM
  China: religious leaders to carry religious ID cards C C 0 743 Mar 5, 2016 03:01 AM
Last Post: C C