Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

This geologist found the oldest water on earth -- in a Canadian mine

C C Offline
https://www.macleans.ca/society/science/...dian-mine/

EXCERPTS: . . . The tests pegged the mean age of the samples, extracted from a mine north of Timmins, Ont., in 2009, at 1.6 billion years old -- the oldest ever found on Earth. Sherwood Lollar, the Canada Research Chair in Isotope Geochemistry of the Earth and the Environment at the University of Toronto, says the ancient water might help answer a question that curious earthlings have asked as long as we’ve peered skyward: could there be life on other planets?

The billion-year-old liquid’s dead giveaway is its musty smell. “It literally is following your nose right up to the rock, to find the crack or the fractures where the water is discharging,” says Sherwood Lollar. But locating the highly saline fluid -- up to 10 times saltier than sea water -- requires more than a gifted schnozz. Sherwood Lollar first visited the Glencore-owned Kidd Creek mine north of Timmins in 1992. Seventeen years later, on an expedition that took her 2.4 km underground, her team finally extracted the record-setting brine. Four years and countless tests later, the team settled on the billion-year-plus figure.

[...] The Precambrian Canadian Shield that stores vast mineral deposits is 2.7 billion years old, and once formed an ocean floor. What was once horizontal is now vertical, and the rock walls on the ride down the ramp offer a tour of an ancient seabed, preserved for thousands of millennia. The Earth’s surface is in constant flux, and its oldest existing ocean floor dates back only a few hundred million years. The undisturbed Shield is now Earth’s closest analogue to the subsurface of Mars, which never succumbed to the churning forces of plate tectonics. If water can breed life far beneath Timmins, there’s a chance the same is true on the Red Planet. No one will know for sure until they take a closer look... (MORE - details)
confused2 Offline
Quote:No one will know for sure until they take a closer look..
That's a kind's clickbait thing. What we (italics->) really want to find is something without a spine based on TTFN and a left (right?) hand helix.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Earth's water may not be primarily from meteorites + Venus may be volcanically active C C 1 96 Mar 21, 2023 06:39 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Earth’s oldest minerals date onset of plate tectonics to 3.6 billion years ago C C 0 103 May 18, 2021 02:20 AM
Last Post: C C
  Ancient Earth was a water world C C 0 123 Mar 10, 2021 08:31 PM
  We’ve made more than the Earth has grown + Water arsenic levels high in parts of US C C 0 219 Dec 10, 2020 03:48 AM
  Why it’s getting harder to mine gold C C 0 180 Oct 28, 2020 10:47 PM
  Study: 200M+ in U.S. could have toxic PFAS in drinking water (Earth H2O) C C 0 135 Oct 16, 2020 09:22 PM
  Dead water comes alive + Now scientists know where Earth's water came from C C 0 151 Oct 3, 2020 11:49 PM
  What is the origin of water on Earth? (maybe not what some thought) C C 3 495 May 21, 2020 12:16 AM
Last Post: Catastrophe
  Eruption turned man's brain to glass + Oldest asteroid strike caused global thaw? C C 0 297 Jan 22, 2020 08:44 PM
  Oldest Earth Rock Found... on the Moon! Yazata 2 866 Jan 29, 2019 04:38 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn