Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Programming the genetic code

Ostronomos Offline
Can there be a being so powerful that its very intent dictates how reality unfolds and thus how our genetic code is programmed?
C C Offline
I don't personally view non-psychologically mediated existence as a process, and a managed process at that. I.e., the tendency of most people to treat ephemerality or "time flow" or "experiential change" as more fundamental than be-ing itself. The latter taken in perhaps a Paremenides context to require or imply durability rather than evanescence. Just not much into that personally, although I'm open to impartially entertaining it, exploring it, and allowing the possibility on most days that the universe is an unfolding process with never any more ontological extent to it than a conscious moment of "now". This just isn't one of those days.

EDIT: Well, maybe I'll venture there a bit after all.

A problem I have with "laws" or "gods" (optional) regulating a process (say, the cosmos as a process) is that they then become subservient or subject to change themselves (ephemerality becomes more fundamental than them). I don't have a problem with a static and complete in itself noumenon being a hierarchical "cause" of a world process, where it just has a higher rank and relationally serves as a "reason" for the world. But not laws/gods as a linearly participating "cause" and "manager" that is actively governing the procedures of a world process as if it is subservient to an unfolding process of its own. I dislike endless, nested Russian dolls scenarios.
Yazata Offline
(Apr 16, 2021 04:16 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: Can there be a being so powerful that its very intent dictates how reality unfolds and thus how our genetic code is programmed?

That's basically the old creationism vs evolution question.

I'm not sure what work the phrase "can there be" is doing there.

Is it asking whether it's possible that biological organisms were created and their genetic code written by some divine coder?

Maybe it's possible. (I don't really know where the dividing line between possibility and impossibility lies.)

But I don't know of any convincing reason to believe that any sort of cosmic programmer exists or that it had any role in the design of biological organisms.

Actually I think that there's evidence that the genetic code of existing organisms a bit of a kludge produced by stochastic processes combined with natural selection. Evidence for that might include gene duplication, transposons and repeats.
Ostronomos Offline
(Apr 16, 2021 08:46 PM)Yazata Wrote:
(Apr 16, 2021 04:16 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: Can there be a being so powerful that its very intent dictates how reality unfolds and thus how our genetic code is programmed?

That's basically the old creationism vs evolution question.

I'm not sure what work the phrase "can there be" is doing there.

Is it asking whether it's possible that biological organisms were created and their genetic code written by some divine coder?

Maybe it's possible. (I don't really know where the dividing line between possibility and impossibility lies.)

But I don't know of any convincing reason to believe that any sort of cosmic programmer exists or that it had any role in the design of biological organisms.

Actually I think that there's evidence that the genetic code of existing organisms a bit of a kludge produced by stochastic processes combined with natural selection. Evidence for that might include gene duplication, transposons and repeats.

We can only view things from a localized, microcosmic perspective so we are in no position to reach an absolute conclusion on the question of a cosmic designer's existence although it can be approached. In which case it then becomes a matter of faith. However, we can certainly do more than merely entertain the notion and eventually find evidence within the universe of his existence. Depending on who he has chosen to reveal himself to for the purpose of benefitting all humanity. Within our DNA exists a code that allows us to interact with the supernatural. This is an empirical fact.

(Apr 16, 2021 07:05 PM)C C Wrote: I don't personally view non-psychologically mediated existence as a process, and a managed process at that. I.e., the tendency of most people to treat ephemerality or "time flow" or "experiential change" as more fundamental than be-ing itself. 

That is because it is not. Being and reality are equivalent. But given the self-simulative nature of reality even being comes into question.