Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Why Jane Goodall believes in Bigfoot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good honest view from the most famous primate researcher of the past century. You tell'em Jane!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_NieflUN90

[Image: 06-16-bigfoot-2_full_600.jpg]
Quote:This isn’t the first time 80-year-old Goodall has publicly admitted to her belief in large, ape-like creatures such as the Yeti, Sasquatch or Bigfoot. “I'm sure that they exist,” she told an NPR reporter in an interview several years ago.

She actually told Ira Flatow that before the 2006 broadcast, after a caller brought it up in 2002: http://www.bfro.net/news/GoodallTranscript.asp
I'd like to hear her reasons.

I'm skeptical that large primates could stay out of sight so effectively. There's less and less wilderness left. Perhaps the subarctic forests of northern Canada might provide them a habitat. Siberia certainly has lots of sparsely inhabited wilderness.

But down here in the American 'lower 48?' Not so much.

My guess is that Jane Goodall loves her primates. She's passionate about them. And the idea of a large unknown hominid existing out there must speak to that, it's an idea that excites her.
(Apr 5, 2015 04:54 PM)Yazata Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to hear her reasons.

I'm skeptical that large primates could stay out of sight so effectively. There's less and less wilderness left. Perhaps the subarctic forests of northern Canada might provide them a habitat. Siberia certainly has lots of sparsely inhabited wilderness.

But down here in the American 'lower 48?' Not so much.

My guess is that Jane Goodall loves her primates. She's passionate about them. And the idea of a large unknown hominid existing out there must speak to that, it's an idea that excites her.
While many researchers confirm Sasquatch presence in the remote forests of northern Canada, they have also been spotted in such unlikely places as east Texas, the mountains of Oklahoma, and the Appalachian mountains. I think we overeestimate the exposure of these pristine wooded areas to humans. There's just some areas too remote and rugged to accomodate campers and hunters. Places roads can't get to.