Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Welcome New Members
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thanks for taking the time to sign-up to Scivillage.com.  We hope that you enjoy your time here and get on with the people that frequent here.

As a newly Registered Member, you might find some limitations compared to other forums and this is in some respects purposeful as it's sometimes difficult to tell if a new member is going to be an actively involved in the community here or just glimmer of potential as they move on to pastures greener looking for their niche fit.

Newly Registered members will not be able to create new threads straight away, this has been done to reduce the capacity for spammers to create one thread posts. They will require posting to other threads first. Please treat your firsts posts with the same dignity as what you expect when responding to someone normally, as these posts are still connected to your account and are apart of your posting history. (In other words don't spam posts just to trigger thread posting as it's as rude as jumping a place in a queue/line.)

To further reward those that do stay and actually take part in the community here (tenure), "You can join the next level just for the one time fee... ", (just kidding), there is no fee's all you have to do is follow this link and request to join the Respect Members group.

Joining is a manual process, I personally vet each and everyone that joins (this could change in the future to be done by others.) The process could take a maximum of a day or two to be in effect (as I have to notice someone is requesting to join). Once a person joins they'll gain some perks like access to the hidden subforum (which could be expanded on in the future) along with an increase in the maximum number of PM's, post edit time, file upload size etc.   (More information on that is available in a sticky thread in the hidden subforum)

It's not compulsory to join, but you will not know what your missing if you do not, so it's up to you.
Seems kind of attractive but I'm not sure how I'd take rejection from the the Respect(ed) Members group. For the present I won't take the chance - I'll stay with the contemptible members if that's OK.
(May 27, 2018 10:59 PM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]Seems kind of attractive but I'm not sure how I'd take rejection from the the Respect(ed) Members group. For the present I won't take the chance - I'll stay with the contemptible members if that's OK.

Shucks. All those spicy gossip columns of Lois Long going to waste behind closed doors. And how long can Hiram keep running his midnight stag films without a male audience? Best kept secret in town: The Respected Members Club.

- - - - - -

Lois Long (video)
http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/...1823-long/

Ode to Lois Long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be3y7bduU6I

~
(May 28, 2018 03:08 AM)C C Wrote: [ -> ][quote="confused2" pid='20627' dateline='1527458342']Seems kind of attractive but I'm not sure how I'd take rejection from the the Respect(ed) Members group. For the present I won't take the chance - I'll stay with the contemptible members if that's OK.

Shucks. All those spicy gossip columns of Lois Long going to waste behind closed doors. And how long can Hiram keep running his midnight stag films without a male audience? Best kept secret in town: The Respected Members Club.

- - - - - -
Thanks for the PM. As long as the girls have to too I'm willing.
Hi, just putting my toes in this ocean for the first time.
I just need to know one thing:
Are we allowed to politely disagree with popular science theories,
and provide polite reasons for the disagreement?

Or do we get banned/deleted for doing this, like in half the 'science' forums on the net?
If so, I'll politely be on my way and will not bother you any more.
(Oct 8, 2018 02:47 PM)Jon Bain Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, just putting my toes in this ocean for the first time.

Or do we get banned/deleted for doing this, like in half the 'science' forums on the net?

I've never seen anyone banned for reasons other forums employ. As the title suggests, it's casual for the most part. Relaxed, unconcerned, desultory, etc but you can get called out by members. I think I was member 54 and that was 2 years ago so the membership roll grows slowly. There's a few original cast members about and you can judge for yourself, some may be loonier than a bed bug or as wise as owl. Our administrator is Stryder, very calm fellow who chimes in now and then. As in every forum there are those who dislike one another but you get used to it..... well, sometimes. If you feel the urge to spout your theories then be my guest,. I don't think anyone here will mind although each of us has a preference, where I prefer brevity someone else may like a filibuster, either way it won't be destroyed. Unpopular maybe, but not sent off to oblivion.

Edit: Welcome to the forum
(Oct 8, 2018 02:47 PM)Jon Bain Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, just putting my toes in this ocean for the first time.

This is a "Casual Discussion" Science forum, in otherwords you can say what you want for the most part. Science itself is Knowledge and that can only be achieved if people can openly discuss the subjects, even if they have to occasionally act like a Devils advocate to "rock the boat" or truly believe an "alternative" (This can lead to some very obscure posts but it's part and parcel of such liberties).

You can pretty much say what you want, however if it becomes something truly volatile and it resulted in someone taking legal action (or breaking a major crime) then that would likely have repercussions, but no-one to this date has pushed it/me that far(I'm pretty thick-skinned and arbitrary).

You have the freedom therefore of speech(well text discussion), but you should be forewarned that what you write is spidered by the internet and becomes PD (public domain) to some extent. So if it's something that one country or culture see as illegal, it might have a hidden backlash beyond this forums control.

If you can be down with that, then welcome to the forum.
Update to site settings:
Unfortunately Jon's most recent post ended up in a moderation queue which meant it sat there waiting for me to spot it. Usually there is a message when logging in when something's in the queue, unfortunately there was no message.
I've made a slight change the moderation queue so it shouldn't happen again. I've informed Jon about it via email, hopefully they are understanding about the configuration glitch.
Just curious, Stryder. Why is it showing that he has made five posts? I can only find two.
(Oct 12, 2018 02:38 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious, Stryder. Why is it showing that he has made five posts? I can only find two.

I had two options, I either have to change the methodology of post entries (where five posts are required) or I could cheat users passed the entry requirement by upping the post count should they prove to be human/non-spammers.

So I went with the easiest method of the two and faked Jon's number of posts.
Pages: 1 2 3