Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Blobs of Water in Zero G

Ostronomos Offline
Now that is interesting! You can see the blob dance as it bursts bubbles!
Zinjanthropos Offline
I like how the blob jettisons a mini-blob at the 46 second mark. I wonder just how big a blob of water can get in zero G? Could a water blob have hit Earth in the past?
Yazata Offline
Water molecules attract each other. Typically molecules are surrounded by other molecules and feel attractive forces from all directions. So they tend to clump together. The effect is especially pronounced for molecules at the surface, since there aren't any molecules attracting from beyond the surface. That creates a net inward force, that contracts the blob and acts like kind of a skin. It's 'surface tension' and it's why tiny insects can walk on the surface of pools of water here on Earth.

Here's a video in which they make bigger blobs of water and then put a camera inside a blob (no idea why). Later they show how the water is kind of sticky this is the essence of wetness and capillary action, and how it wants to adhere to surfaces and to the astronauts hands. So they can wet their hands on opposite sides of a blob and then pull their hands apart, stretching the blob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_HEsZJrluE
Zinjanthropos Offline
It's kind of how I imagine the BB when observing the blob and alka seltzer combination and resultant volatility. It's how I picture the singularity that supposedly unravelled to become the universe, especially after seeing that small blob ejected from the larger one.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A brief history of zero Magical Realist 1 108 Jul 17, 2022 02:48 AM
Last Post: shadow
  Zero-index metamaterials offers new insights into foundations of quantum mechanics C C 0 64 Apr 28, 2022 05:32 PM
Last Post: C C
  Concept of emptiness in set theory: How zero went from “nothing” to “something” C C 0 486 Oct 4, 2018 11:29 PM
  Against string theory + Parasites in science have contributed zero to string theory C C 0 525 Jun 7, 2016 07:50 PM
  Hard water vs soft water Magical Realist 1 685 Feb 1, 2016 03:18 AM