Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

US senator may have solved manterruptions problem

C C Offline
https://work.qz.com/1187289/the-ultimate...rruptions/

EXCERPT: During the three-day government shutdown that ended late yesterday (January 22), the Republican senator from Maine graciously hosted negotiations in her office, where a group of Republicans and Democrats hashed out solutions to a number of tough budget issues. Part of the reason they were finally successful, it might be argued, is because Collins tamped down on interruptions by asking everyone in the meetings to only speak when they were holding her decorative talking stick. This ensured there would be only one voice in the room at a time, though it apparently didn’t protect one glass elephant that was chipped in a minor tussle between lawmakers....

MORE: https://work.qz.com/1187289/the-ultimate...rruptions/

- - -

This App Collects Data on How Frequently Women Are "Manterrupted"
http://bigthink.com/design-for-good/mant...app-for-it

- - -
Syne Offline
So since women aren't as naturally assertive as men, men must, ala Victorian-era infantilization, take responsibility for the women-folk. Rolleyes
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:So since women aren't as naturally assertive as men, men must, ala Victorian-era infantilization, take responsibility for the women-folk. Rolleyes

So what does that have to do with Senator Collins taking control of the rude interrupting blowhards and insuring they speak only when it was their turn? Seems pretty assertive to me.
Syne Offline
(Jan 24, 2018 10:52 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:
Quote:So since women aren't as naturally assertive as men, men must, ala Victorian-era infantilization, take responsibility for the women-folk. Rolleyes

So what does that have to do with Senator Collins taking control of the rude interrupting blowhards and insuring they speak only when it was their turn? Seems pretty assertive to me.

I guess you didn't read about the "tussle" linked in that article.

"The senator told CNN that another lawmaker, who went unnamed in the report, was speaking with the stick when a colleague interrupted. The lawmaker then “forcefully delivered” the stick across the room in response. The stick chipped the glass elephant, which was sitting on a shelf.

Politico reported that the senator in question was Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), who was tossing the stick to Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.)." - http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/37016...ant-during

IOW, when a man (Democrat at that) decided to interrupt anyway, it didn't work. It would only work with the cooperation of those it seeks to curtail. Since it only works if men want it to, she is only trading on their good graces...instead of acting as an equal.
Magical Realist Offline
(Jan 25, 2018 12:21 AM)Syne Wrote:
(Jan 24, 2018 10:52 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:

I guess you didn't read about the "tussle" linked in that article.

"The senator told CNN that another lawmaker, who went unnamed in the report, was speaking with the stick when  a colleague interrupted. The lawmaker then “forcefully delivered” the stick across the room in response. The stick chipped the glass elephant, which was sitting on a shelf.

Politico reported that the senator in question was Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), who was tossing the stick to Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.)." - http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/37016...ant-during

IOW, when a man (Democrat at that) decided to interrupt anyway, it didn't work. It would only work with the cooperation of those it seeks to curtail. Since it only works if men want it to, she is only trading on their good graces...instead of acting as an equal.

Wow..so that's the weird misogynist's take on it? Tks for that! How you managed to twist this into an example of women being weak is beyond me.
Syne Offline
Rolleyes Inherent gender differences do not imply weakness. That you infer they do makes you the misogynist.

Women often operate on social cooperation (like abiding by a talking stick), while men often operate on competition. There are may cases where cooperation is better, but it's irrationally naive to assume you can make men behave like women.
Magical Realist Offline
I've known tough assertive women and passive gentle men. Personality is more of a determining factor in that spectrum than gender is.
Syne Offline
Anecdotal, and still doesn't justify your misogynist assumption that non-assertive women are somehow weak.
Magical Realist Offline
(Jan 25, 2018 05:13 AM)Syne Wrote: Anecdotal, and still doesn't justify your misogynist assumption that non-assertive women are somehow weak.

This is your sick gender fantasy not mine. There is absolutely no basis here for thinking Senator Collins was weaker or less assertive or more passive or less equal or whatever word you wanna use than the men she was controlling with her stick. But as a woman hater this is how you twist it. Is everything a justification for bigotry for you?
Syne Offline
(Jan 25, 2018 05:42 AM)Magical Realist Wrote:
(Jan 25, 2018 05:13 AM)Syne Wrote: Anecdotal, and still doesn't justify your misogynist assumption that non-assertive women are somehow weak.

This is your sick gender fantasy not mine. There is absolutely no basis here for thinking Senator Collins was weaker or less assertive or more passive or whatever than the men she was controlling with her stick. But as a woman hater this is how you twist it. Is everything a justification for bigotry for you?

So far, you're the misogynist who has tried to equate "less assertive" with "weak". And you still fail to acknowledge that she didn't control the man who didn't volunteer to acquiesce to her request. Try not to conflate the fantasies of your domineering mother, who could control young MR with physical dominance.

Even among men, being less assertive doesn't imply weakness...unless you view everything through some misogynistic, male chauvinism lens. Many men don't have the temperament to be salesmen or stock traders.