Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

N. Korean Army Defector Infested with Parasites

Yazata Offline
A few days ago a North Korean soldier at the DMZ made a desperate run for the south side. His fellow soldiers shot many rounds at him and he was hit four times. But he'd made it most of the way and American army medics kept him alive as a US Blackhawk helicopter evacuated him to a hospital.

He was still alive, but barely. He's now in one of South Korea's best trauma hospitals. He'd suffered massive internal bleeding and when surgeons opened him up to repair the damage, they found his stomach and intestines filled with round-worms. The largest was 10 inches long. The surgeon said that he'd read about such things in places like Africa, but had never seen it with his own eyes. Roundworm infestations arise where gardens are fertilized with human feces.

The soldier was only 5 ft 5", weighed 132 pounds and appeared to be malnourished.

Given his prior state of ill-health, his serious chest and abdominal wounds, his blood loss before he could be recovered and the parasites, he isn't expected to survive.

The more significant thing is that if his physical state is indicative of that of the average North Korean soldier, then that army's fighting ability might be relatively limited.

http://www.newsweek.com/north-korean-def...eon-713147
Zinjanthropos Offline
I guess not all North Koreans are happy with life. I would have thought that a NK soldier's life would be good, considering armed forces could tip the very balance of power for those running the country should they mutiny or launch a military coup.
Yazata Offline
(Nov 17, 2017 05:27 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I guess not all North Koreans are happy with life. I would have thought that a NK soldier's life would be good, considering armed forces could tip the very balance of power for those running the country should they mutiny or launch a military coup.

I believe that the North Korean military is divided into regular units composed of draftees, which are little more than slave labor, and elite units composed of individuals who have displayed fanatic devotion to the regime. The elite units get the best of everything, including housing and food for themselves and their families. They get the best equipment and fuel to operate it (fuel is in very short supply in NK.) No doubt the elite units control the nukes.

Given this guy's small malnourished stature and parasite infestations, he probably wasn't receiving much food. So we can be pretty sure he was a military slave laborer.

I'm a little surprised that he was assigned to the border. One would think that the more trusted elite troops would go there.

The question seems to me to be -- what percentage of the NK army is elite fanatics willing to kill and die for their pudgy little god-king with the bad haircut, and what percentage is starving physically-unfit slave laborers just waiting for a chance to escape?
Zinjanthropos Offline
Quote:I'm a little surprised that he was assigned to the border.

Target practice? Execution? We don't know his mental state or if he's committed sedition or treason. I think rumor mill has it that NK specializes in imaginative forms of death penalty implementation. Maybe this is one.

If it's any consolation, appears NK roundworm parasites are doing well.
C C Offline
(Nov 17, 2017 04:23 AM)Yazata Wrote: Given his prior state of ill-health, his serious chest and abdominal wounds, his blood loss before he could be recovered and the parasites, he isn't expected to survive.

Doctors cautiously expect him to live now. One report mentioned that asked to watch South Korean television.

- - -
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Nov 23, 2017 01:19 AM)C C Wrote:
(Nov 17, 2017 04:23 AM)Yazata Wrote: Given his prior state of ill-health, his serious chest and abdominal wounds, his blood loss before he could be recovered and the parasites, he isn't expected to survive.

Doctors cautiously expect him to live now. One report mentioned that asked to watch South Korean television.

- - -

A serendipitous moment. Freedom, intestines cleared of parasites, some NK intel, and all because he got shot up pretty good. Like a fairy tale....Once upon a time he lived happily ever after.