Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Particle in Two Places at Once

Secular Sanity Offline
Here you go, Zinman.

Congratulations to Drs. S. Haroche and D. Wineland for winning the Nobel Prize in Physics.

"They proved the correctness of the bizarre properties of quantum mechanics, i.e. that electrons can be two places at the same time."

Layman's Summery
Zinjanthropos Offline
Actually I was laying the groundwork for another thread but I do appreciate your response. My idea for a new thread required that particular answer and I think most physicists or science folks already accept it as true fact. However the thread will not be about the quantum particle itself. I'm having second thoughts about it because TSF is not casual and one must tread carefully.....lol
Secular Sanity Offline
Yeah, I'm sure I'll be banned in no time.  Meanwhile, I'll just attempt to rob Peter to pay Paul.  Big Grin

(Aug 1, 2017 06:48 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: However the thread will not be about the quantum particle itself.

I am curious, though. Come on, give me a hint. What's it about?
Zinjanthropos Offline
I decided to bury the potential thread. Wrong subforum for one thing, might have been better suited for philosophy, a place where unfortunately for me, I have trouble. I wanted to have some fun with it but similar topics have been beaten to death over the years.

What I was trying to do was to find someway of objectifying probability. My thinking was that a subjective probability has no problem existing in an objective universe but not as an actual object. Yet the reverse might be true if the universe was in reality a whole lot of nothing. I can imagine a probability representative of something objective in a subjective universe. I was thinking an objective probability can only exist in such a scenario as long as the universe we're in is actually nothing. Not sure if I'm being clear on that, hope you get my drift. What if probabilities are real and observation not? Don't take these comments seriously, I'm only in think mode at the moment....lol
Secular Sanity Offline
Yeah, I'd keep that one to myself.  Sorry.  

Want to take bets on how long I'll last there?  Big Grin
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Aug 2, 2017 01:06 AM)Secular Sanity Wrote:  Go into a rage Yeah, I'd keep that one to myself.  Sorry.  

Want to take bets on how long I'll last there?  Big Grin

Been there since '05. A survivor. In all that time I think only one thread, of I don't know how many, sent to the Trash, no bans or suspensions, neither loved or despised. I've learned plenty. Went thru many Mods. The Duck is by far the best and we all trust his judgement. He's been called on it a few times and doesn't go into a rage when it happens. I would speculate that your estimated time for banishment to be within the next 30 days at current rate Big Grin  Big Grin
Secular Sanity Offline
(Aug 2, 2017 01:50 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I would speculate that your estimated time for banishment to be within the next 30 days at current rate Big Grin  Big Grin

I think you underestimated me. That last one to exchemist might do the trick. If not, the pitchforks are coming. Big Grin

Time will tell.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Most of those guys can take a punch. Sanctity of the forum means more than a slap in the face, IMHO. Why take the Duck personally, he's doing a job. I think you and him may have the same birth mother. Outrageous unsupported claims is what usually spells the death knell.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Aug 2, 2017 02:43 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Most of those guys can take a punch. Sanctity of the forum means more than a slap in the face, IMHO. Why take the Duck personally, he's doing a job. I think you and him may have the same birth mother.

I’m not poking fun at Dywyddyr, just ordinary human folly.

Zinjanthropos Wrote:Outrageous unsupported claims is what usually spells the death knell.

Hmm...I'm fresh out of those.  Undecided

I'm having a day out with the girls.

See you later.
Zinjanthropos Offline
SS.... Not sure if you noticed but the poster who follows right after your answer to my question tries to objectify probability to explain dark matter. The power of suggestion, the subtle dropping of a hint? I love it, that feeling when you're fairly certain someone has picked up on your word.

Nearly forgot: how was your day with the gals? If you're like my wife, the next one won't be too soon...lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Repeated particle measurements disagree with wheory—what now? C C 0 58 Jan 14, 2024 08:40 AM
Last Post: C C
  Article What is a quantum particle really like? + What is neutral naturalness? C C 3 156 Sep 21, 2023 11:29 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Article How to tame the endless infinities hiding in the heart of particle physics C C 1 74 Apr 8, 2023 12:17 PM
Last Post: Kornee
  Rewriting a vexing quantum rule + Particle physicists envision future of the field C C 1 212 Sep 28, 2022 04:40 AM
  Crisis in particle physics forces a rethink of what is ‘natural’ C C 1 132 Mar 3, 2022 05:01 AM
  Clues about holographic universe + Crunching multiverse to solve 2 puzzles at once C C 1 104 Jan 13, 2022 08:57 PM
Last Post: Syne
  This exotic particle had an out-of-body experience; scientists took a picture of it C C 0 91 Aug 25, 2021 06:36 PM
  How does a multiverse get its mass/energy? + Information without particle exchange C C 0 190 Dec 12, 2020 09:48 AM
  What is a particle? C C 1 323 Nov 14, 2020 05:27 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Stanford researchers build a particle accelerator that fits on a chip C C 1 302 Jan 5, 2020 05:54 AM
Last Post: Yazata