Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Non-existence exists

Ostronomos Offline
If non-existence did not exist then nothing could possibly exist.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Feb 5, 2017 06:12 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: If non-existence did not exist then nothing could possibly exist.

How do you know that you're not already living in nothingness and perhaps this, the reality we're confronted with daily, is what nothing looks like?

You must have something you really want to say to us Ostro. Your preoccupation with nothingness leads me to think this. So let it out. Simple one line claims with language/grammar, punctuation that leaves the reader scratching their head isn't revealing that huge profound statement you've been waiting to share.
Ostronomos Offline
(Feb 6, 2017 04:23 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(Feb 5, 2017 06:12 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: If non-existence did not exist then nothing could possibly exist.

How do you know that you're not already living in nothingness and perhaps this, the reality we're confronted with daily, is what nothing looks like?

You must have something you really want to say to us Ostro. Your preoccupation with nothingness leads me to think this. So let it out. Simple one line claims with language/grammar, punctuation that leaves the reader scratching their head isn't revealing that huge profound statement you've been waiting to share.

Nothing exists and does not exist. Because to exist as nothing it would have to not exist as anything.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Feb 7, 2017 06:57 PM)Ostronomos Wrote:
(Feb 6, 2017 04:23 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:

Nothing exists and does not exist. Because to exist as nothing it would have to not exist as anything.

Does a dream exist, an idea? Nothing tangible about those . What's nothing, other than an idea or thought? You can't tell me a single thing about nothing because you can't ever experience it. The universe is telling us something akin to a law where something must always be, a state of nothingness is unachievable. OK i just made that up but you get my drift.
Ben the Donkey Offline
From "The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" - By the late and much lamented Douglas Adams

The Babel fish is small, yellow, leechlike, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centers of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the NON-existence of God.
The argument goes like this:
`I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.
`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best-selling book, "Well, That about Wraps It Up for God."
Meanwhile, the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Tried to stay away from God, Ostro seems like a nice person and didn't want to upset any belief in deities that he might be harboring. But I was definitely thinking it. 

I don't want much proof of God, in fact I only need one nanosecond of it. Not asking for much am I? What's a billionth of a second compared to 18 billion years, something I have some proof for. It's just as hard to prove God than it is to prove a state of nothingness exists or existed. Maybe it's the same thing. If nothingness just by itself can produce something then what have I got? Did i just say God is a quantum vacuum fluctuation? Angel
Magical Realist Online

Nothing is nothing. Which is to say nothing doesn't exist. Which is to say there is nothing but existence, which is exuberant, immediately accessible, and infinite. We sit perched on a swelling crystalline upsurge of ever new Being. There is no nonexistence, no... not even in death.
Ben the Donkey Offline
(Feb 7, 2017 08:07 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Tried to stay away from God, Ostro seems like a nice person and didn't want to upset any belief in deities that he might be harboring. But I was definitely thinking it. 

I don't want much proof of God, in fact I only need one nanosecond of it. Not asking for much am I? What's a billionth of a second compared to 18 billion years, something I have some proof for. It's just as hard to prove God than it is to prove a state of nothingness exists or existed. Maybe it's the same thing. If nothingness just by itself can produce something then what have I got? Did i just say God is a quantum vacuum fluctuation? Angel

If it helps... confusing black with white on a zebra crossing won't get you killed.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Feb 7, 2017 08:59 PM)Ben the Donkey Wrote: If it helps... confusing black with white on a zebra crossing won't get you killed.

Ya,  but a load of dingo's kidneys might!!!
Yazata Offline
(Feb 5, 2017 06:12 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: Non-existence exists

Limited and relative kinds of non-existence certainly exist. Otherwise holes and absences of particular things would be impossible. There are no hundred dollar bills in my wallet. Donuts have holes in them.

The phrase 'non-existence doesn't exist' is more plausible when we are talking about total non-existence, the absence of anything and everything. It does seem self-contradictory to think of total non-existence as a void, as a peculiarly dark and empty kind of existence.

Quote:If non-existence did not exist then nothing could possibly exist.

Why?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No 'I' in Existence Ostronomos 1 368 Jun 9, 2018 04:59 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos