Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

So.

Ben the Donkey Offline
Why isn't anyone here talking about the Trump "Muslim Ban"?

Skirting around it, dodging it, whatever and what have you, wotnot and all that.
I'm waiting. Ya bunch of wusses.

(disclaimer - I am completely, utterly, and demonstrably pissed to the eyeballs - which Is why I haven't posted my own thoughts o the subject at this point. - 'sif y'all didn't already know them)

Is it 'cause we're all friends here? That's a topic in itself, y'know....
I mean shit, I'd have a beer with MR.

Wouldn't you?
Magical Realist Offline
I think this ban will be struck down in the courts. They claim it isn't a Muslim ban, but the order says they make exception for minority religions. IOW, in a Muslim country where Islam is the majority religion, Christians get a waver.. Ironically Muslims are the overwhelming majority of victims of Jihadist violence. That's what refugees are. The first American settlers were refugees of similar persecution.
C C Offline
(Feb 1, 2017 04:22 PM)Ben the Donkey Wrote: Why isn't anyone here talking about the Trump "Muslim Ban"?

That the rest of world reboots and reacts anew as if it's something unexpected that he's done or that that the horse hasn't really been beaten to death (after all the months beforehand) is its peculiarity. For some the situation might be like a spectator sport; where one is more captivated by the circus of the Trump-Media-Public interactions as they unfold than commenting about the "security measures" or waxing either pessimistically or optimistically about assorted consequences that could eventually fall out of the turmoil.

If not for the fascination others have about such topics indirectly influencing me, I could probably say that I don't even much come here for politics and social issues (it's primarily a science board after all). Thus, even though I might irregularly supply news / review items of those interests in the lower section whenever there's an abeyance in other members doing such, or choose pop-news or blog writers in the upper section with opinionated resonances of that ilk, I probably can't be relied upon to feed certain categories with what's currently making the headlines. Plus or "That is", I might have more an impulse to pick something offbeat, lingering on the wayside, lurking on the horizon or belatedly what a national or international crowd got tired of thrashing and has long-since moved on from fixation-wise.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Feb 1, 2017 04:22 PM)Ben the Donkey Wrote: Why isn't anyone here talking about the Trump  "Muslim Ban"?

Skirting around it, dodging it, whatever and what have you, wotnot and all that.

(disclaimer - I am completely, utterly, and demonstrably pissed to the eyeballs - which Is why I haven't posted my own thoughts o the subject at this point. - 'sif y'all didn't already know them)

Is it 'cause we're all friends here? That's a topic in itself, y'know....
I mean shit, I'd have a beer with MR.

Wouldn't you?

Have a beer with MR? Why not? Hell I don't even drink (anymore). 

Very, very hard to say anything because of fear, real or imagined. Fear that you'll be labelled a racist, fear of who might be listening, fear of people who don't understand this is a discussion forum and will take things the wrong way, fear of insane/mentally ill criminals, fear of having your conscience questioned and the fear of Muslims in general. 

OK, I guess it's my turn to sound racist. Somebody has to say it and where better than on an anonymous forum. Maybe I can sound like Trump here.....Canada and other countries are doing their best to ensure the Muslim community that they're welcome in their chosen country. I'm fine with that, wonderful. However, wasn't it just a few weeks ago when some nutjob went crazy in a Tampa airport and shot up some Americans? I don't remember an outpouring of international grief for that.  

Something's wrong when expressing grief is taken as a sign of fear. It's very easy to read this into what's being said and done. Everybody knows that's a possibility but are afraid to say it. No one wants to say that's the way it is. One thing I've noticed about The Donald is that he isn't afraid to speak up. Is it refreshing? Is it callous? Is it what people want to say but are too afraid to say it? He's the POTUS, the position alone should remove a great deal of trepidation.

Now tell me again that religion doesn't kill or get you killed. Call it the work of madmen but I don't think there's any reason to say the Quebec shooting victims weren't killed because of religion. I can't think of a worse reason to die.
Secular Sanity Offline
Executive Order 13769

It’s alien nationals from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. Why didn't he include Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, or Lebanon?
Syne Offline
The only reason people can even call it a "Muslim Ban" is because the Muslim theocracies (in effect if not actual) in those countries ensure their populations are overwhelmingly Muslim, with severe penalties for apostasy. If you banned immigration from Israel, you wouldn't be able to call it a "Jewish Ban", since so many non-Jews are allowed to live and even hold political office there. So it's only because these Muslim countries lack diversity that this straw man of an ethnic/religion ban can even be entertained.
C C Offline
(Feb 1, 2017 07:29 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Something's wrong when expressing grief is taken as a sign of fear. It's very easy to read this into what's being said and done. Everybody knows that's a possibility but are afraid to say it. No one wants to say that's the way it is. One thing I've noticed about The Donald is that he isn't afraid to speak up. Is it refreshing? Is it callous? Is it what people want to say but are too afraid to say it? He's the POTUS, the position alone should remove a great deal of trepidation.

I can't recall a public figure as impervious to political piety as he is; or such a threat of shunning and ostracism being unable to stop him as it has others in the past. Doubtless not being funding indebted to the timidity of assorted businesses and politicians has a little to do with it.

Quote:Now tell me again that religion doesn't kill or get you killed. Call it the work of madmen but I don't think there's any reason to say the Quebec shooting victims weren't killed because of religion. I can't think of a worse reason to die.

What Trump has done is such an anachronism thrown into the machinery of the present day that I literally have no idea what is going to result from this. I'm truly in a mode of just letting this play out empirically to see what happens rather than speculating. Even from the opposing side's POV, it might be "good" in the sense of finding out what does result from such POTUS actions in this day and age. If the US or the rest of the world in addition goes over a cliff as a consequence, then at least the historical event is there to deter a major power in the future from doing it again.
Yazata Offline
(Feb 1, 2017 04:22 PM)Ben the Donkey Wrote: Why isn't anyone here talking about the Trump  "Muslim Ban"?

Well, for one thing is isn't a "Muslim ban".

It's a temporary 30-day hold on admission of aliens (quiet down MR, not that kind of alien) into the US from seven countries, Libya, Sudan, Somalia, Yemen, Syria, Iraq and Iran. Of these, Libya, Somalia, Yemen and Syria are failed states that either lack a government or have a government that exists largely on paper whose authority doesn't extend over most of the country's territory. What's more, they all play host to active Islamist and Jihadist groups that hold territory including major cities. Iraq has Islamic State active in about 1/3 of its territory and radical Shi'ite militias active in much of the rest. Sudan is on the State Sponsors of Terrorism list and Iran is run by mullahs who have been chanting "Death to America" for years. I believe that the State Department has travel warnings for all of these countries, advising Americans not to visit them and Americans in them to leave asap.

The purpose of the 30-day moratorium is to try to invent some method of vetting people from these areas who want to enter the United States, to determine who among them have radical Islamist associations and who among them have military training. (An almost impossible task in my opinion.)

Quote:Skirting around it, dodging it, whatever and what have you, wotnot and all that.

One reason why I was attracted to this board is that it gave me an opportunity to discuss things like the philosophy of science that interest me, without all the political divisiveness and hostility that's so prevalent on Sciforums. I don't enjoy getting into angry political arguments. It just poisons the board.
Zinjanthropos Offline
I live right across the mighty Niagara River from the USA. Have not seen any heavy armor crossing over the Peace Bridge nor any of the other three spans that join our coastlines. No amphibious marine landings along our shores or artillery fire evident. Huge Hercules aircraft fly the length of the river every day. American Coast Guard vessels patrol the strait, pulling alongside any Canadian vessel that strays too close to the New York shoreline. The border crossings are unusually tense, American security are checking ID's very closely. Yankee deserters are trying all kinds of tricks to get into Canada. 

Saw many Canadian troops deployed along our side, mostly disguised as tourists and birdwatchers, some as fisherman in their fishing boats. Heavy equipment made to look like snow plowing vehicles motor up and down the length of the Niagara Parkway. Thousands of drones that look exactly like migratory birds guard the river's edges, ready to drop their ghastly load on the unsuspecting. Ash trees infected with The Emerald Ash Borer removed so as to improve the view across the river and of any American landing craft. Hidden caches of deadly snowballs stockpiled around homes that line the coastal road. Oh and we have Mexicans, Trump haters impersonating migrant farm workers bivouacked in some of the many vineyards situated along the riverfront.

We're ready for Trump and his minions. Bring it on boys. We kicked American butt in the War of 1812-14 and we're itching to repeat that ass whooping.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Feb 1, 2017 10:06 PM)Yazata Wrote: It's a temporary 30-day hold on admission of aliens (quiet down MR, not that kind of alien) into the US from seven countries, Libya, Sudan, Somalia, Yemen, Syria, Iraq and Iran. Of these, Libya, Somalia, Yemen and Syria are failed states that either lack a government or have a government that exists largely on paper whose authority doesn't extend over most of the country's territory. What's more, they all play host to active Islamist and Jihadist groups that hold territory including major cities. Iraq has Islamic State active in about 1/3 of its territory and radical Shi'ite militias active in much of the rest. Sudan is on the State Sponsors of Terrorism list and Iran is run by mullahs who have been chanting "Death to America" for years. I believe that the State Department has travel warnings for all of these countries, advising Americans not to visit them and Americans in them to leave asap.

The purpose of the 30-day moratorium is to try to invent some method of vetting people from these areas who want to enter the United States, to determine who among them have radical Islamist associations and who among them have military training. (An almost impossible task in my opinion.)  

The countries I listed have been a source of jihadist terrorism.  You’ve been following this close.  Do you agree with this?

So what is the real reason why Egypt and Saudi Arabia were not included in the immigration ban?

"It is no secret the current administration is looking to build a coalition to take on both radical Islam and the growing threat from Iran. To do this Donald Trump is looking to build a non-traditional alliance between Russia, the moderate Sunni states, and Israel.  Sources have already pointed to a possibility that Russia will push Iran out of Syria in order to make it easier for the Trump administration to work with them against ISIS. Furthermore, the countries Trump picked are all worn torn areas split between the competing interests of Sunni and Shiite armies. Although Egypt is known to have a large Muslim Brotherhood network, Sisi, the President of Egypt is sincere in his campaign to destroy them.  Sisi also has a close working relationship with Israel. While Saudi Arabia produced most of the hijackers for the the September 11th attacks, the new King and his administration are known reformers and have pushed to loosen of the network Wahhabi institutions. Is it perfect?  No, not at all, but both countries’ willingness to reform and crack down should not be minimized at this point.

Essentially, the new order arising in the Middle East weighed heavily on which countries President Trump included in the ban.  If the elite media decided to look at events with open eyes they would see that the President and his advisers are building a robust coalition to once and for all destroy radical Islam and stabilize the region that has been most volatile in modern times."
[Source]