Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Site text changes

stryder Offline
You might or might not notice some changes to the sites font size. It might or might not look alright to you. I'm trying to get it so the font works better with different screen sizes however it's difficult to tell if my small changes have had unforseen effects, so I'd greatly appreciate feedback. (especially if it's too big or too small. I'm looking for the goldilocks formula for site fonts)

edit:
Hopefully it looks better than it did.

Currently working on the other problem thats been dogging me for a while, "Why bing can't spider the site?".

I mean it's not like we're filled with rogue materials and invested in illicit activities... it actually seems to be something benign like an issue with Canonical redirects (The humans URLs compared to the ones made up of just numbers and query strings) and likely down to an issue where a page was seen twice (in the canonical and ugly form) I've made some adjustments, only time will tell if Bing can actually start the discovery process again.
Syne Offline
I have my browser set to 110% for this forum, because the text in posts is too small.
But now the topic list text is really big.
C C Offline
I haven't noticed any glitches yet on Firefox.

EDIT: Well, now it's changed from large to ultra-small. Maybe that's just the result of some temporary experimentation, though.
stryder Offline
(Mar 4, 2023 02:36 AM)C C Wrote: I haven't noticed any glitches yet on Firefox.

Things are going to go a little weird for a bit. The main problem is there is over 50 occurrances of font sizes, I'm trying to streamline them to 3-4 sizes but it's going to be awkward working out which ones need scaling.

I've decided to go with the rem (relative to Root) font sizing method. This means I'm starting with a base font size of 12px currently which I can then scale via the rem value to be larger or smaller (1.1rem = 12+1.2px etc) Hopefully I can get this sorted so it looks better overall however I should probably raise certain sizes while reducing others.

edit: changing base to 12pt (standard font size) it's now getting other fonts to go up or down to that size)
stryder Offline
Okay... Now I'm at the point where I'll likely need input... Any thoughts on which way to go with which text? (Larger anchors?, Smaller post text etc?)
C C Offline
(Mar 4, 2023 03:12 AM)stryder Wrote: Okay...  Now I'm at the point where I'll likely need input... Any thoughts on which way to go with which text?  (Larger anchors?, Smaller post text etc?)

Text in the posts looks close to what I'd get in the old days from using a {size=large} tag -- possibly slightly under. Checked some posts where I did use that "large" font size, and they seem to look the same (i.e., didn't alter them, which is good). I have no complaints, but that's subjective.

EDIT: Oh, one thing to check is italics.

I guess italics no longer renders larger than the regular text. Which is alright, it's easy to read now without that.
stryder Offline
The main problem I have is I use Firefox for development so I know I can just hold the Left Control Key and roll the mouse scroll wheel to move up or down in font size for the whole site and I'm staring at a 41inch screen which means everythings either too small or too big. (definitely not helpful when it comes to phone screens)
stryder Offline
(Mar 4, 2023 03:28 AM)C C Wrote: ..
Oh, one thing to check is italics.

I guess italics no longer renders larger than the regular text.

I downscaled the Italics, although it can always be scaled up if need be.
C C Offline
(Mar 4, 2023 03:31 AM)stryder Wrote: The main problem I have is I use Firefox for development so I know I can just hold the Left Control Key and roll the mouse scroll wheel to move up or down in font size for the whole site and I'm staring at a 41inch screen which means everythings either too small or too big.  (definitely not helpful when it comes to phone screens)

I think Zin uses a tablet, so getting some input from him might help. I'm using a 21-inch screen right now. MR is probably on Chrome (browser). Yazata may have a Chromebook.

EDIT: Using an android tablet, not sure I noticed any change in text size at all.
Syne Offline
The current settings are much more pleasing, using zero browser scaling. Readable posts, and small enough topic list font to fit more on the screen.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Site future: Brainstorming phase stryder 34 2,013 Aug 19, 2023 10:24 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Pasting Text Zinjanthropos 9 523 Jun 29, 2022 12:51 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  Posting on site using phone Leigha 4 409 Apr 12, 2021 12:23 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Small site changes. stryder 0 490 Mar 7, 2019 01:48 PM
Last Post: stryder
  Scivillage.com: Planned Changes (Sept/2016) stryder 7 1,220 Sep 13, 2016 03:39 AM
  Site Downtime stryder 5 1,107 Sep 7, 2016 05:16 AM
  site design redux stryder 4 1,116 Aug 28, 2016 05:08 PM
  Site Design stryder 1 575 Jun 30, 2016 09:45 AM
  Scivillage changes. stryder 19 4,861 Nov 14, 2015 07:56 PM
Last Post: krash661
  Site Layout suggestions Mr Doodlebug 3 1,619 Oct 6, 2014 05:33 AM