Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

An ultra-aggressive species of spammer?

C C Offline
Saturday or the weekend in general showing signs of becoming a banner time for spammers. The latest one, sonusood, doesn't seem to even care about initial stealth or strategic hesitation. Just opens the bomb-bay doors wide and generously from the outset.

EDIT: Actually it is superficially a "sort of" long con, since s/he/it joined May 19, 2022. But there didn't appear to be any previous posts listed before today.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Oct 8, 2022 04:13 PM)C C Wrote: Saturday or the weekend in general showing signs of becoming a banner time for spammers. The latest one, sonusood, doesn't seem to even care about initial stealth or strategic hesitation. Just opens the bomb-bay doors wide and generously from the outset.

Whenever I see that username it reminds of sonotube, those cylindrical hard cardboard tubes used to cast concrete. Other than that, I just skip over the guy. Like s/he isn’t here.
C C Offline
(Oct 8, 2022 05:20 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(Oct 8, 2022 04:13 PM)C C Wrote: Saturday or the weekend in general showing signs of becoming a banner time for spammers. The latest one, sonusood, doesn't seem to even care about initial stealth or strategic hesitation. Just opens the bomb-bay doors wide and generously from the outset.

Whenever I see that username it reminds of sonotube, those cylindrical hard cardboard tubes used to cast concrete. Other than that, I just skip over the guy. Like s/he isn’t here.

At the rate this human or bot is going, every subforum on the board is going to have a spam contribution headlining it as the last post, by the end of the day.
stryder Offline
Dealt with. One of the Sleeper accounts awoke. It's one the main reasons I tend to try to identify spammers early on to remove their accounts. Some are of course left. It's difficult to sometimes disconcern the difference between a potential lurker versus a blatent "foot in the door" spammer. (Pre-emptively creating accounts via a human so as to flood at a later date.)

I could purge zero post accounts, but some lurkers might be a little upset at that. I try to cater for whomever visits where possible, but it can be difficult to balance sometimes.
C C Offline
(Oct 8, 2022 05:49 PM)stryder Wrote: Dealt with.  One of the Sleeper accounts awoke.  It's one the main reasons  I tend to try to identify spammers early on to remove their accounts.  Some are of course left.  It's difficult to sometimes disconcern the difference between a potential lurker versus a blatent "foot in the door" spammer.  (Pre-emptively creating accounts via a human so as to flood at a later date.)

I could purge zero post accounts, but some lurkers might be a little upset at that.  I try to cater for whomever visits where possible, but it can be difficult to balance sometimes.

Yah, it's tough to discern sometimes. I would have mistakenly thought a nym like "ellisael" looked spammy or randomly generated, but s/he turned out to be legit.