Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Meanwhile…

Zinjanthropos Offline
Two years and 6 million covid deaths later there are some things that just boggle the mind. Not war, inflation, attempted coups, nor any of a myriad of other social causes/injustices real or imagined but the fact professional Major League Baseball players are locked out due to a labor dispute I find nauseating. The season, when it starts, will be delayed but does anyone feel any empathy towards owners or players. I always look forward to the baseball season but when I first heard of the disagreement I completely lost interest. I honestly don’t know what the issue is nor do I care.

JMO…Overpaid and privileged, out of touch with reality, greedy and selfish to think post pandemic that they’re important. Can’t put myself in their shoes so maybe it’s a legitimate beef but I think it could have been put aside for a least one year.
C C Offline
(Mar 2, 2022 02:51 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Two years and 6 million covid deaths later there are some things that just boggle the mind. Not war, inflation, attempted coups, nor any of a myriad of other social causes/injustices real or imagined but the fact professional Major League Baseball players are locked out due to a labor dispute I find nauseating. The season, when it starts, will be delayed but does anyone feel any empathy towards owners or players. I always look forward to the baseball season but when I first heard of the disagreement I completely lost interest. I honestly don’t know what the issue is nor do I care.

JMO…Overpaid and privileged, out of touch with reality, greedy and selfish to think post pandemic that they’re important. Can’t put myself in their shoes so maybe it’s a legitimate beef but I think it could have been put aside for a least one year.

Well, at least the mob doesn't have a hand in the MLBPA's cookie jar. Rolleyes

Given that they don't even sign autographs for free ("but even those kids waiting in line are fronts for opportunists who only want a sig to sell for profit"), North America's merit-based version of royalty seems to lack even noblesse oblige.

Nah, sports has those athletes "who give back to the community", donate to and make appearances for causes, and -- like Hollywood gentry of the soapbox set, are profusely animated with social justice gesticulations. Angel
- - - - - -

How Rob Manfred's ineffective reign as MLB commissioner led to baseball's 'disastrous outcome'
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/how-r...s-outcome/

EXCERPT: I wondered how, at the time, a system that was paying Tyler Flowers more than eight times more than Ronald Acuña, Jr. was going to be fair for the younger players moving forward -- especially when Dallas Keuchel, who won the Cy Young in 2015 while making the league minimum, remained unsigned into the season in his first foray into free agency.

Manfred was visibly upset.

"The system in place is a principle tenant that the MLBPA has voted for since my first negotiation which was 1989 and they wanted a seniority-based system," he said. "That's what they bargained for and that's what they have. It's just not more complicated than that." 

It seems a little more complicated than that now, doesn't it, Mr. Commissioner?

Manfred pointing 30 years in the rearview mirror while scoffing at my question pretty well sums up where we are now, doesn't it? No foresight. No concerns about something bubbling under the surface with the players (player salaries have decreased as a percentage of league revenue for four consecutive seasons, mind you). No thought that maybe during the course of 30 years and thousands of different players things could change. Nah, just an air of condescension that anyone would dare to question his years of experience and self-assured expertise.

Why could I see what was coming while the commissioner who makes $11 million a year couldn't?

He isn't solely to blame, to be clear, but Manfred's incompetence is now part of the equation in a problem affecting a large number of people. Whether it is hardcore fans who are the lifeblood of Major League Baseball by spending money on the product, stadium or team employees who depend on an MLB season to earn a living, minor leaguers who remain severely underpaid or a good number of major leaguers who aren't part of the inaccurate and pretty mindless "millionaires vs. billionaires" trope, plenty of people out there are at risk of being impacted negatively on some level with this ongoing lockout.

If my accusation that Manfred is ill-suited for this job stemmed simply from this labor dispute, it would be too hasty. I mean, don't get me wrong, we're in the midst of witnessing the most significant item on the checklist, but he's been a gaffe machine for years. Let's run through a few examples, while noting this is not an exhaustive list... (MORE - missing details)
Zinjanthropos Offline
Thanks CC, read the article and it’s pretty good. Perhaps the commissioner isn’t good for the players but my biggest is beef is in the timing. After all that’s happened couldn’t labor strife be back burnered for a season? People need a distraction from the crap that’s hit the globe.

Up here in Nanook Territory the favourite team is Toronto Blue Jays. They’ve had a very good roster last couple years with some young guys making the minimum playing out of their minds. That’s what it seems, get some good years from young guys before they can negotiate and pay king’s ransoms to guys over the hill. But in the end it’s the owners who pay the bills and agree to the contracts.

My S-I-L and I share the MLB Network tv coverage costs and I just got of& the phone with him and both of us decided not to renew. Probably need that money to fill my gas tank anyways…lol.