Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Number for daily fruit, vegetable intake found + E-mail is making us miserable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
And the magic number for daily fruit, vegetable intake is
https://www.medpagetoday.com/primarycare...tion/91424

EXCERPT: Two servings per day of fruit and three of vegetables conferred the greatest benefit; any more servings than that did not yield additional mortality risk reduction, according to researchers led by Dong Wang, MD, ScD, of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School. Their manuscript was published online in Circulation.

Exceptions were starchy vegetables (e.g., peas, corn), fruit juices, and potatoes, which were not associated with decreased mortality over 3 decades in the report.

Similar findings were observed in a meta-analysis incorporating these two studies with 24 other prospective cohort studies with a total of 1,892,885 participants. "These findings support current dietary recommendations to increase intakes of fruits and vegetables, and that the succinct 5-a-day message is consistent with available evidence," Wang's group concluded.

Average consumption in the U.S. is just one serving of fruit and 1.5 servings of vegetables per day, Wang and colleagues noted, despite public health campaigns urging people to eat more of these food items for decades... (MORE - details)

E-mail is making us miserable
https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of...-miserable

EXCERPT: . . . Other researchers have found similar connections between e-mail and unhappiness. A study, published in 2019, looked at long-term trends in the health of a group of nearly five thousand Swedish workers. They found that repeated exposure to “high information and communication technology demands” (translation: a need to be constantly connected) were associated with “suboptimal” health outcomes. This trend persisted even after they adjusted the statistics for potential complicating factors such as age, sex, socioeconomic status, health behavior, body-mass index, job strain, and social support. Of course, we don’t really need data to capture something that so many of us feel intuitively. I recently surveyed the readers of my blog about e-mail. “It’s slow and very frustrating. . . . I often feel like email is impersonal and a waste of time,” one respondent said. “I’m frazzled-just keeping up,” another admitted. Some went further. “I feel an almost uncontrollable need to stop what I’m doing to check email,” one person reported. “It makes me very depressed, anxious and frustrated.”

When employees are miserable, they perform worse. They’re also more likely, as the French labor minister warned, to burn out, leading to increased health-care costs and expensive employee turnover. A Harvard Business School professor found that giving a group of management consultants predictable time off from e-mail increased the percentage of them who planned to stay at the firm “for the long term” from forty per cent to fifty-eight per cent. E-mail’s power to makes us unhappy also has more philosophical implications. There are two hundred and thirty million knowledge workers in the world, which includes, according to the Federal Reserve, more than a third of the U.S. workforce. If this massive population is being made miserable by a slavish devotion to in-boxes and chat channels, then this adds up to a whole lot of global miserableness! From a utilitarian perspective, this level of suffering cannot be ignored-especially if there is something that we might be able to do to alleviate it.

Given these stakes, it’s all the more surprising that we spend so little time trying to understand the source of this discontent. Many in the business community tend to dismiss the psychological toll from e-mail as an incidental side effect caused by bad in-box habits or a weak constitution. I’ve come to believe, however, that much deeper forces are at play in generating our mismatch with this tool, including some that get at the very core of what drives us as humans... (MORE - details)