Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Shepherd’s pie using canned potatoes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure why, but maybe I bought canned potatoes last year during hurricane season. Big Grin

So, decided to make shepherd’s pie using them and I’m a little concerned. I just mashed them but probably should’ve whipped them. Hmm. I’ll soon find out, it’s baking, now.
Not too bad, actually. It turned out really well, despite the canned potatoes. Although, homemade mashed potatoes, whipped and layered on top with the perfect peaks, would have been ideal. Canned potatoes are quite bland, turns out. I've never tried them until today. lol
(Jul 19, 2020 02:29 AM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ][...] Canned potatoes are quite bland, turns out. I've never tried them until today. lol

I don't recall being much excited about the taste of canned diced potatoes, either -- whether by themselves or in canned stews and "mixed vegetable medleys". In fact, with respect to the latter, maybe that's why I switched to plain "mixed vegetables" (that lacked them) when it came to stocking and renewing an emergency stash of canned goods. A fourth of what I do is the momentum of and confidence in past decisions whose reasons have actually faded into the fog.