Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Stop calling Gen-Z "millennials" -- it is offensive speech crime (age communities)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020...ation-wars

INTRO: Those under 25 no longer want to be compared to millennials, and have been vocal about it on social media for some time. [...] there are terms aplenty when it comes to the generations that divide us: boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, millennials … and Gen Z.

But for those of us who have been condensing these brackets – viewing everyone over the age of 40 as a boomer and everyone under that age as a millennial – there may be a surprise for you coming: you are being offensive – at least to real young people (AKA Gen Z).

In March, TikTok celebrity Isabella Avila posted a video complaining about being confused with Facebook-using, avocado-toast-loving millennials. “Just because you’re so old you can’t remember the difference, doesn’t mean it’s OK to lump us altogether,” she said.

If you are guilty of that particular crime, this handy little guide on how to navigate the age wars might help... (MORE - details)
This is my humanitarian gesture to the internet community, or the world for that matter, offering myself up as a public target for insults. Choose any form, I won’t be offended nor will I hire a lawyer. Call it stress relief if you want. Free of charge but I will accept donations.

I’m at the tail end of the baby boomer generation if that’s your preference. I’m also white Ukrainian/Irish Atheist. Don’t hold back, let ‘er rip. If you’re thinking of running for political office now or in the future then you might want to reconsider. Otherwise feel free.
(Jun 23, 2020 01:34 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]This is my humanitarian gesture to the internet community, or the world for that matter, offering myself up as a public target for insults. Choose any form, I won’t be offended nor will I hire a lawyer. Call it stress relief if you want. Free of charge but I will accept donations.

I’m at the tail end of the baby boomer generation if that’s your preference. I’m also white Ukrainian/Irish Atheist. Don’t hold back, let ‘er rip. If you’re thinking of running for political office now or in the future then you might want to reconsider. Otherwise feel free.

Well...
negative attention is still attention.
(Jun 23, 2020 01:34 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]This is my humanitarian gesture to the internet community, or the world for that matter, offering myself up as a public target for insults. Choose any form, I won’t be offended nor will I hire a lawyer. Call it stress relief if you want. Free of charge but I will accept donations.

That makes you "Proto-GenX" (The prototype to what would be Generation X) I'm GenX but a few years younger and I would of been a prototype Millennial.

As for "Gen-Z"... come on thats not the right term.... they are Zombabies. (Born at a time when zombies were fashionable)
(Jun 23, 2020 06:07 PM)I stryder Wrote: [ -> ]As for "Gen-Z"... come on thats not the right term.... they are Zombabies. (Born at a time when zombies were fashionable)

I could be the only person left in the world who hasn’t watched a zombie flick.i

I just realized it’s difficult to answer to an insult without there being a chance of me actually being insulting in my response. I also have to assume or declare all responses are insulting to me. I can’t be critical so only flattery or patronizing is proper response protocol for me, the one who feels or assumes they’ve been insulted. So I think if someone calls me an attention seeker or Proto-GenX then it shows they’re of a higher degree of intelligence than little old me. Hmmm...A little self degradation might also work. Must be careful to not offend and you guys are great.