Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Do you work harder to be praised or not to be judged?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't think my actions whether at work or in my personal life, are motivated by a need to be praised. Praise is great, if it happens as a byproduct but not as my end game. Sadly though, I probably gear my actions and non-actions, towards a desire to not be judged. I have a situation now at work, that I'm feeling compelled to speak up about, as it will lead to growth for my team. To keep my mouth shut, would mean that I'm not only willing to enable negative behaviors of others that harm the team, but I'm more concerned with how I'm perceived, than doing the right thing.

How might you answer this question?
Neither. I work hard primarily for my own self-respect. I take personal pride in the job I do. Any respect or judgement of others is a side effect.
Interesting. How do you deal with negative judgement? (in real life, not on here lol)

Are you ever fearful at work if you speak up about something unethical happening, that you will be judged? (the wrong doers will be offended by your whistle blowing, for example)
I don't generally worry about the judgements of others, negative or positive.

In my line of work, it's actually encouraged/expected to report any unethical practices. IRL or online, I'm never concerned with others being offended. That's their own personal problem.
(Feb 29, 2020 09:21 PM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think my actions whether at work or in my personal life, are motivated by a need to be praised. Praise is great, if it happens as a byproduct but not as my end game. Sadly though, I probably gear my actions and non-actions, towards a desire to not be judged. I have a situation now at work, that I'm feeling compelled to speak up about, as it will lead to growth for my team. To keep my mouth shut, would mean that I'm not only willing to enable negative behaviors of others that harm the team, but I'm more concerned with how I'm perceived, than doing the right thing.

How might you answer this question?

How much I wanted to be a crusader and potential martyr was is in proportion to how much money I had saved at the time along with a rash of job openings with similar pay.