Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: British teenager convicted of making up rape claims had 35 bruises
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(January 5, 2020) https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...laims.html

EXCERPT: Multiple bruises found on a young British woman who alleged she was gang-raped on holiday in Cyprus leave 'no doubt' that she had suffered a violent assault, according to a pathologist [Marios Matsakis]. The student, who faces up to a year in jail after being found guilty of lying, insists she was held down and raped by up to 12 Israeli youths at a budget hotel in Ayia Napa.

Some 35 bruises found across the 19-year-old's legs, arms and buttocks are said to be consistent with her having suffered a violent sexual assault. Marks were also found around her knees and eyes. They were seen in a diagram, compiled by a pathologist who saw photographs of the injuries, in a Cypriot court as she was tried for public mischief.

However, the evidence was dismissed by the judge whose handling of the case before her conviction last week has come under fire in an escalating diplomatic row. Bruises on the teenager's torso are missing because, inexplicably, police took no pictures of her without her shirt on.

The girl's mother says her daughter is suffering from PTSD caused by the months of her legal ordeal, while Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has voiced his 'serious concerns' over her treatment ahead of her sentencing on Tuesday. Her psychologist, Dr Christine Tizzard, fears the teenager will be at a heightened risk of suicide if she is jailed this week, the Sunday Times reported. Dr Tizzard added that the student is in urgent need of mental health care and is 'physically and mentally getting worse every day'.

[...] The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, says she retracted her statement about the alleged rape only after pressure from detectives following ten hours of questioning which was not recorded or conducted in front of a lawyer. She then found herself in police custody and stranded on the Mediterranean island for five months charged with public mischief.

During her trial, Judge Michalis Papathanasiou, who reduced the woman to tears on a number of occasions, dismissed evidence put forward by UK experts that supported her claim of being attacked and ruled she 'did not make a good impression, she did not tell the truth, and tried to mislead the court'. He did not hear from any of the woman's alleged attackers and was adamant he would not rule on whether she was raped or not, despite three men admitting they had sex with her.

[...] State pathologist Sophocles Sophocleous told the court that the British teenager bore no physical signs consistent with a serious sexual assault. He maintained that there were only a few light bruises on the young woman's thighs and scratches on her leg and that a lot of the bruises were old. He told the court that the bruises on her leg were consistent with bumping into a piece of furniture. When contacted by this newspaper, he declined to comment on his findings.

[...] Judge Papathanasiou has come under pressure for his courtroom behaviour, which Mr Matsakis described as unacceptable and 'like a primary school teacher shouting at students'. During the woman's shambolic trial, he often yelled angrily at her and at others in court. In one bizarre instance, he reportedly shouted at the teenager for turning to her mother.

'I'm sure he affected her,' Mr Matsakis said. 'He said at one stage that she was looking at her mother and sighing. So what if she looked at her mother? Judging from this case, his behaviour was totally unacceptable and I would say that the authorities need to look into this and see whether he is fit to judge.'

Jamie Doran, who has spent the last three months with the family making a documentary about the case, described the moment the mother and daughter asked him to get them face masks showing their lips sewn together in defiance against her guilty verdict. 'It was entirely their decision and it said so much. That their voices are silenced but only for so long.'

Mr Doran said the family are prepared to fight their case all the way to the European Court of Human Rights despite the huge financial burden. 'They have literally been on the bread line,' he said. 'It was only the support from many people, especially the people of Israel who want to see justice, that helped them.'

[...] One of the 12 Israeli youths accused of taking part in the gang-rape caused outrage yesterday by vowing to pursue the British teenager through the courts for compensation. In an interview with The Mail on Sunday, Yona Golub claimed the 19-year-old student had turned his life into a nightmare. 'We're preparing to sue her,' he declared. 'She deserves to go to jail.'

[...] Amid widespread anger over the case, the country's president is under increasing pressure to issue a pardon... (MORE - details)

- - - - ADDITIONAL --- EDIT

Expert has no doubt British teen was raped (July 12, 2019)
http://www.ekathimerini.com/247301/artic...-was-raped

EXCERPT: Marios Matsakis, a well-known Cypriot private forensic pathologist, told ... that the rape kit exam presented in court as evidence was incomplete. The witness criticized state forensic pathologist Sofocles Sofocleous for leaving out important details in the case of a 19-year-old British female.

[...] In a previous hearing earlier this week, the 19-year-old alleged victim and rape accuser told the court that the she had agreed to have consensual sex with the main suspect, when his friends who had been hiding suddenly appeared in the hotel room and he told her to lie down.

She refused but he placed his penis in her mouth and put his knees on her shoulders, according to her testimony, while other teens started to shout and argue in Hebrew. “I couldn't breathe. I tried to throw my head about and his friends were coming in all shouting and jeering. I tried to cross my legs. I was trying to throw my arms about. I don't know how many of them raped me. I couldn't see,” she told the court.

Matsakis also told the court during Friday's hearing that he had concluded, based on the evidence shared with him, that DNA from at least four individuals was identified, including from three sperm samples in used condoms while fluids from four individuals were also found on the bed sheet.
Sorry, but bruises alone do not, themselves, suggest sexual assault, especially only from photos. Bruises are "consistent" with a wide variety of assaults, including self-inflicted. Where's the rape kit, or medical evidence of forced sex? That is the minimum requirement to possibly ruin the lives of twelve people.
That ^^

Did she go to the hospital? There seem to be some crucial details left out of the story.
And why do we know the identity of one of the twelve, not convicted of any crime, while we don't know the name of the girl convicted of lying? They are both adults.
Isn’t Cypress predominately Muslim? 12 Israeli’s.... Jewish? Lies, condoms, rape kits, experts, questionable evidence.... something not adding up. Don’t think I’d want the goods in her mouth while she’s thrashing about, was he examined for injury to the privates? Always two sides to every story.
Only 18% Muslim, but anti-Semitism seems to be on the rise, even in NYC. So yeah, when I read 12 Israelis, that threw up instant warning bells. Never heard of many, if any, Jews being rapists, or even criminals.
Just looking at the evidence leaked from the case.

Personally I don't think it is easy to bruise the buttocks of a healthy young female. 

Looking at the drawing of bruising in https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...laims.html there are bruises on the buttocks.

Many years ago, one slightly (very) drunken evening a female friend said she had claimed (to her boyfriend) that he couldn't have sex with her without her consent - in context let us say cooperation. This is all nice - don't get the wrong idea. She then said, perhaps slightly flushed, that she had found that he could have sex with her without her cooperation. You will probably be pleased to find that I didn't ask how he did it.

The bruises (left leg and right buttock) fit my guess at how one friend could prove a point to another. One observer might note that these bruises are consistent with walking backwards into furniture while another might note that the spacing and distribution are consistent with fingertips and restraint by strong hands.

Call me old-fashioned but in my book restraint is (usually) the issue.
Most those look like falling down drunk bruising. Knees, shins, elbows, buttocks. The pattern of bruising just depends on what you fall on...and how often, considering the state pathologist said many of the bruises were old.
There is a film that came out last year I believe, that was based on true events of a teenager who claimed to be raped in her home, but she recanted her statement to the police. As the movie goes on, other reports start flooding into the police department, illustrating that a serial rapist seemed to be on the loose. The movie wraps up with the teenager confessing that she felt coerced into recanting her story, but in fact, she was raped. I can't recall how they proved she was raped, but the rapist was captured and she identified him. (as did others) In her case, perhaps ''truth in numbers'' caused the case to be reopened. But, the investigators who originally interrogated her, didn't find her to be credible (at first). She seemed shaky, afraid, and her backstory was of a wayward type of girl who had a rough childhood. (so they wrote her off, which was unfair and sad)

I'm sure these things do happen, but it's not clear in this case. I wonder why she would lie though, about being gang raped? (and included the guy she had a short fling with?) I don't know, facts always seem stranger than fiction, anymore.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a machine that could observe the past. Something like that wouldn't stop crime completely but would make it extremely hard to get away with.
Pages: 1 2