Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: The little brain inside your heart
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://hubpages.com/hub/your-second-brai...your-heart

"A second brain in the heart is now much more than a hypothesis. Prominent medical expert like Doctor Maurice Renard and others discovered that that recipients of heart transplants are inheriting donors' memories and consequently report huge changes in their tastes, their personality, and, most extraordinarily, in their emotional memories. Today new science is testing the theory that the heart is involved in our feelings. So what have they discovered so far?"
I don't know about the "feedback memory" twist to this, but cellular memory in general is something that the medical institution's skeptics want to debunk. Yet so far their efforts seem little more than indolent hand-waving dismissals, rather than getting down to the nitty-gritty of demonstrating these transplant patients and the doctors who believe them to be misguided in their conclusions

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-cellular-memory.htm

"...Like many theories which are largely dismissed by the conventional medical establishment, the idea of cellular memory has not been rigorously tested in controlled studies. Supporters of the theory often reject such studies because they argue that they are flawed because of their connection with 'the establishment,' while many skeptics are unwilling to embark on studies to disprove a theory which they already think is wrong. This rather short-sighted attitude is unfortunate, as it might be interesting to conduct large scale scientific studies to get to the bottom of the claims."
(Oct 13, 2014 06:01 PM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about the "feedback memory" twist to this, but cellular memory in general is something that the medical institution's skeptics want to debunk. Yet so far their efforts seem little more than indolent hand-waving dismissals, rather than getting down to the nitty-gritty of demonstrating these transplant patients and the doctors who believe them to be misguided in their conclusions

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-cellular-memory.htm

"...Like many theories which are largely dismissed by the conventional medical establishment, the idea of cellular memory has not been rigorously tested in controlled studies. Supporters of the theory often reject such studies because they argue that they are flawed because of their connection with 'the establishment,' while many skeptics are unwilling to embark on studies to disprove a theory which they already think is wrong. This rather short-sighted attitude is unfortunate, as it might be interesting to conduct large scale scientific studies to get to the bottom of the claims."

I'd be sceptical too to some extent, although it's a known fact that their are many types of neurons that make up the nerve system.  They aid both taking in sensory information and placing those sensations, so for example you know when someone is tickling you on the foot and even which foot is being tickled.

There some palaeontology myth's in regards to multi-brain dinosaurs, however it's been debunked in recent years.  (although it doesn't mean that dinosaurs didn't have neural clusters that aided their functions.)
(Oct 13, 2014 04:38 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: [ -> ]A second brain in the heart is now much more than a hypothesis. Prominent medical expert like Doctor Maurice Renard and others discovered that that recipients of heart transplants are inheriting donors' memories

I'm extremely skeptical about that. (Of course I don't have a heart, only an asshole.)

Quote:and consequently report huge changes in their tastes, their personality, and, most extraordinarily, in their emotional memories.

That's more believable. I doubt whether it's the new heart causing the personality changes though. It's more apt to be the serious illness and the brush with death. I've noticed in myself that traumatic experiences, such as the death of a loved one, have left me fundamentally changed, with different concerns and interests, and with a subtly but profoundly different outlook on life.