Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: The Mafia & Political Correctness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At my age I don't care much re political/social issues but when I do read about things like Political Correctness, anti-racism, Woke culture I can't help but think that perhaps their origins have a link to organized crime. Come to think of it, I cared just as much when I was younger. As a kid I remember something called The Italian Defamation League which was inspired by a some small time mob boss. Hell, we used to make jokes about not teasing the Italian kids in the neighbourhood lest we end up wearing cement overshoes. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've heard anyone mention what's now considered politically incorrect names for Italians and seems I'm probably more likely to hear such terms from an Italian. Sound familiar?

In the interest of just having some fun, I dug up some archived story from NY Times...

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/07/05/archi...image.html

Well I guess if we can thank the Mob for organized gambling then maybe it isn't that much of a stretch to thank them for current political/social issues Big Grin .
What with social media being such an effective catalyst for growing chance snowballs into wrecking balls, one is tempted to say that their genesis has diversified to where movements don't necessarily need powerful individuals anymore (pursuing their own self-purposes) to variously create, organize, or provide financial backing. However, there probably still is an obscured or camouflaged hand in the orchestration of some. (Or yet right out in the open like mobster Joseph Colombo was there -- many times the members and the public really don't care that the fomenting nucleus is a sphincter.)

While the "Yang Gang" that's manipulating the web for underdog Andrew Yang's campaign isn't up to anything nefarious -- just the typical electioneering motives (and he's certainly not an invisible force in the background)... It's a tame example of how magnates, charismatic figures, crime-lords, philosopher kings/queens, well-connected pulpiteers, etc can play an exploit the cyberworld just as they historically did the old one.