Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Majority of Christian rock bands were ... are ... become ... a scam?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Your Favorite Christian Rock Bands Probably Aren't Christian... (2014)
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2014/06...christian/

EXCERPT: Has ‘Christian rock music’ become a scam, driven more by money than actual religious beliefs? Yes, according to Tim Lambesis, the once-popular lead singer of As I Lay Dying who is now a declared atheist and says most other ‘Christian rock bands’ are basically fronts.

Lambesis is also at the beginning of a six-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to hiring a hitman to kill his ex-wife, which means he has very little to lose at this point. “I actually wasn’t the first guy in As I Lay Dying to stop being a Christian,” Lambesis explained in a lengthy interview with Alternative Press. “In fact, I think I was the third. The two who remained kind of stopped talking about it, and then I’m pretty sure they dropped it, too.”

“We talked about whether to keep taking money from the ‘Christian market’. We had this bizarrely ‘noble’ thing. Like, ‘Well, we’re not passing along any bad ideas. We’re just singing about real life stuff. Those kids need to hear about real life, because they live in a bubble’.”

Lambesis said As I Lay Dying wasn’t alone in the charade. “We toured with more ‘Christian bands’ who actually aren’t Christians than bands that are. In 12 years of touring with As I Lay Dying, I would say maybe one in 10 Christian bands we toured with were actually Christian bands.”

It gets worse... (MORE)

Top 10 Rockers Who Found God (Bob Dylan)
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music...god-20985/

EXCERPT: No major rock star has ever undergone as radical a religious transformation as Bob Dylan. The man who once wrote "Don't follow leaders, Watch your parking meters" launched a tour in 1979 behind his gospel LP Slow Train Coming in which he didn't play any of his old songs. Between tunes he preached fire and brimstone. "I told you the 'The times They Are A-Changin' and they did!" he preached to the crowd one night in 1979. "I told you the answer was 'Blowin' In The Wind' and it was! And I'm saying to you now, Jesus us coming back and he is! There is no other way to salvation…Jesus is coming back to set up his kingdom in Jerusalem for a thousand years." By the mid-1980s the singer born Robert Allen Zimmerman had returned to his Jewish roots, no doubt making his mother a very happy woman.

Bob Dylan: A Spiritual Life, by Scott M. Marshall
The religion or spirituality of Bob Dylan: It's complicated

But some say he left Christianity behind in 1981.

SM: Those that say that probably haven’t been reading the story closely. And Christianity can mean different things to different people; for Dylan, it seems it’s more about the figure of Jesus than the following of an organized religion. Dylan’s own Jewish roots cannot be denied, whether it’s the revolutionary figure of Jesus in the first century or Dylan’s childhood in Minnesota in the 1940s and 1950s, or his naturally slipping into synagogues as an adult. Dylan appears to be a child of God, not tethered to any religion for religion’s sake, but trying to pursue the Truth, clay feet and all. I’m sure it hasn’t been an easy trip.
--> https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b...hy-1011277