Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Massive Explosions at Russian Military Ordinance Site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Near Achinsk (pop 109,000) in the Krasnoyarsk region of Siberia (between Novosibirsk and Lake Baikal). They are reportedly evacuating thousands of people from within a 20 KM (12 miles) radius circle around the site. The explosions are reportedly happening at a Russian military ordinance facility. Early reports from Siberia speak of one dead and seven injured. If that's all it is, they were lucky.

Some videos here (turn your sound on for maximum effect):

https://twitter.com/buch1004/status/1158407261817061377

https://twitter.com/ICCSV_oficial/status...2836852736

[Image: 8-injured-in-blast-at-russian-ammunition...325931.jpg]

[Image: explosion-rusia-achinsk-captura.jpg]

[Image: 9.jpg]
(Aug 5, 2019 11:09 PM)Yazata Wrote: [ -> ]. . . Early reports from Siberia speak of one dead and seven injured. If that's all it is, they were lucky.

I don't see how that's possible unless the cause of it gave them plenty of advance warning and preparation time to evacuate the immediate vicinity of the explosion(s).

Via the link with "buch1004" in it, the POV that resembled a nuclear explosion the most was the video with #добре (good, well, all right, nicely) under the account name (10 апреля - 10 April). Must have triggered some initial goosebumps of dread for other distant observers who had that same view.
The one concern with the explosion (and other explosions like that previously in other Soviet era munition depots) is how difficult it is to account for munitions after all that is left is a huge crater. (The black market in munitions could well be having some sales shortly, especially if it's filling a void like the seizure of weapons meant for one militant faction or another.)
(Aug 6, 2019 12:24 AM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]
(Aug 5, 2019 11:09 PM)Yazata Wrote: [ -> ]. . . Early reports from Siberia speak of one dead and seven injured.  If that's all it is, they were lucky.

I don't see how that's possible unless the cause of it gave them plenty of advance warning and preparation time to evacuate the immediate vicinity of the explosion(s).

I'm a bit skeptical too.

Quote:Via the link with "buch1004" in it, the POV that resembled a nuclear explosion the most was the video with #добре (good, well, all right, nicely) under the account name (10 апреля - 10 April). Must have triggered some initial goosebumps of dread for other distant observers who had that same view.

The video that showed the shockwave interacting with the clouds, a loud crack, then a mushroom cloud was most spectacular. If it had also had a bright flash, I might have thought that it was an atomic demolition munition or some low-yield nuclear explosive like that. Which raises the question, were any nuclear weapons or explosives stored here? (They would probably deny it, but that might not be 100% reliable.)

But the scariest one was that girl's sports summer-camp where you hear an explosion seemingly a short distance away and the sound of what suggested some sort of large explosive fragment flying overhead. Very dangerous.

I expect that's why they were evacuating the city of Achinsk, because the explosions were hurling fragments that far. Or...

(Aug 6, 2019 12:32 AM)stryder Wrote: [ -> ]The one concern with the explosion (and other explosions like that previously in other Soviet era munition depots) is how difficult it is to account for munitions after all that is left is a huge crater.  (The black market in munitions could well be having some sales shortly, especially if it's filling a void like the seizure of weapons meant for one militant faction or another.)

Reminds me of that 1997 George Clooney movie Peacemaker. Russia is sending 10 nuclear weapons to be decommissioned. A rogue military unit with Russian mafia connections steals nine of them and rigs the tenth to detonate, destroying evidence that the other nine are missing. But they aren't smart enough to outwit US military operative George Clooney who recovers all but one of the weapons, tracks that one (sold to a rather sad and tragic Bosnian Serb terrorist who thinks he's avenging his dead wife and children) to New York City where he stops it from detonating minutes before it's set to go off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peacem...1997_film)

Covering a theft of munitions by detonating the rest isn't an implausible scenario.
I remember driving through the Hawthorne Army Depot in Nevada (Nevada is a very weird place). It's the world's largest munitions depot covering about 240 square miles. You drive for miles through an endless surreal landscape of thousands and thousands of bunkers, most filled with bombs and artillery shells (and the odd crashed UFO and space aliens on ice). While they aren't going to tell somebody like me, I don't believe that any nuclear weapons are stored here.

But it seems well designed so that an explosion in one bunker shouldn't propagate to others. This Achinsk arms depot sounds like it was more like a bunch of warehouses, where a fire could create a chain reaction.

The military uses the area for training as well, its airspace is given over to the Navy's Top Gun fighter school at nearby Fallon Naval Air Station in Fallon NV.

[Image: Hawthorne-Banner-800x323.jpg]

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

[Image: Bunkers-1280x640.jpg]

[Image: -hawthorne-21_jpg_20050618-4_3.jpg?width=640]
Another Russian explosion. This one was at a missile development facility some 18 miles (30 km) from the Russian Navy's Northern Fleet base at Severodvinsk (population 192,000), on Russia's White Sea (it's an arm of the Arctic Ocean far north of Moscow). Severodvinsk is known as one of Russia's largest nuclear submarine bases and is closed to non-Russians. Reportedly a missile or a missile test stand or something exploded (it isn't clear).

The most interesting thing is that the Russian Emergency Situations Ministry has reported a 20x spike in radiation levels in Severodvinsk and locals are making a run on iodine at local pharmacies. People are panic buying iodine in nearby Arkhangelsk (pop 348,000) about 35 km (20 miles) from Severodvinsk. Reports suggest that radiation levels were only elevated a short time and have since returned to normal levels.

The radiation doesn't seem to have reached dangerous levels. It went from a background level of 0.1 microsieverts to 2 microsieverts, about the amount of radiation in a small number of dental x-rays. (Or 1/10 the radiation in a full-body CT scan.) So it appears that nobody is in any real danger. But the idea of radiation scares people, and Russians may not trust that they are being told the truth.

An area of the White Sea has been closed (the Navy speaks vaguely of a toxic spill) and there are reports that a ship carrying nuclear fuel was in the area that's closed off.

Something weird is happening and it does apparently involve radioactive material. So what's up with that??

Reuters says...

"Russia media have said that the rocket engine explosion may have occurred at a weapons testing area near the village of Nyonoksa in Arkhangelsk region. Those reports say an area near Nyonoksa is used for tests on weapons, including ballistic and cruise missiles that are used by the Russian navy. Some reports have speculated that the test may have involved a new hypersonic missile called Tsirkon."

Russian SLBMs (Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles) are solid-fueled and this explosion was said to have involved liquid fuel. So it wasn't a familiar sub-launched ICBM. The Tsirkon (zircon) missile is a hypersonic scramjet powered anti-shipping and land-attack cruise-missile more advanced than anything currently in the US operational arsenal. (We do have some similar things in development I believe, but not operationally deployed.) These scary Russian things can carry nuclear warheads, but I can't imagine running engine tests with a nuclear warhead aboard.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russian-ph...-explosion

http://news.trust.org/item/20190809093035-01tbh

[Image: 3m22-image01.jpg]
(Aug 6, 2019 12:32 AM)stryder Wrote: [ -> ]The one concern with the explosion (and other explosions like that previously in other Soviet era munition depots) is how difficult it is to account for munitions after all that is left is a huge crater.  (The black market in munitions could well be having some sales shortly, especially if it's filling a void like the seizure of weapons meant for one militant faction or another.)

This Reminds me that i have not seen any news items in western media about Putin for a very long time.
i am guessing this is some type of news black out that has been arranged to play house with the americans.

or is it the naval gazing going on as the UK economy burns in the wild fire called BREXIT
as the usa economy grinds to a halt on the usa china trade war...

... iran attacking oil tankers in the homuz straight ... (30% of all the worlds trade goods & 20% of all the worlds oil)

China, Cambodia, vietnam african swine flu outbreak
hong kong ...

governments are cutting their rates(global economy is set to shrink)

anti establishment groups will be looking to solidify off the back of the peoples disorientation.

Quote:But the idea of radiation scares people,
were they using radioactive isotopes in the liquid rocket fuel ? (where did it come from???)