Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Bird hobbies thread (news & personal encounters)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Long live the long-limbed African chicken
https://source.wustl.edu/2019/07/long-li...n-chicken/

EXCERPT: . . . For generations, household farmers in the Horn of Africa have selectively chosen chickens with certain traits that make them more appealing. Some choices are driven by the farmers' traditional courtship rituals; others are guided by more mundane concerns, such as taste and disease resistance. The result is the development of a genetically distinct African chicken -- one with longer, meatier legs, according to new Washington University in St. Louis research published in the International Journal of Osteoarchaeology. But that 3,000-year-old local breed type is threatened by the introduction of commercial cluckers.

This study contains the first metrical baselines of chickens with known history in the region, and it reveals much about the history of the selection process and African poultry development, said Helina S. Woldekiros, assistant professor of anthropology in Arts & Sciences. For this new work conducted in collaboration with [other] researchers ... returned to a community in northern Ethiopia near where she previously discovered some of the oldest known physical evidence for the introduction of domesticated chickens to the continent of Africa.

[...] In addition to the earliest domestic chickens in Africa and today's African local chicken breeds, the study includes the red junglefowl -- a wild chicken found only in Asia -- using bones from a collection curated at the Natural History Museum at Tring, England, northwest of London.

By comparing measurements from these three types of chickens, Woldekiros collaborated with her colleagues from the U.K. to identify key differences that provide insight into African poultry development over the centuries. "African farmers were selecting for longer limbs," Woldekiros said. "They were looking for more meaty legs, rather than meaty wings. There was a big change in the length of the legs." The earliest domesticated chickens, dating from 800 BCE to 400 BCE, were also much closer total body size to today's red junglefowl than to the modern household chicken.

[...] "Right now, exotic and commercial chickens are being introduced to Africa, and local African breed types are in danger," Woldekiros said. "They are more biologically diverse than the exotic or commercial birds," she said. "Now we are in danger of losing that diversity."

The new chickens might be more productive -- but it comes at a cost. "The problem with the new chickens, even though they produce more meat and more eggs, is that they're really expensive to keep," she said. "You need to build a shelter for them, so they can't scavenge like local birds. And they're very sensitive to disease." (MORE)
Somewhat within bird hobbies is a fake news story about a seagull. I may get round to a another story in the fullness of time - when I feel a bit stronger.

https://news.yahoo.com/seagull-steals-ch...07632.html
Quote:A dog owner is desperately searching for her pet dog after a seagull swooped down and snatched it from her garden.

Becca Hill, 24, from Paignton, Devon, said her six-year-old daughter has been “really upset” and “missing” Gizmo since the four-year-old miniature Chihuahua was taken on Sunday.

Fortunately, the child did not witness the brown and white male dog being taken away.

She told the DevonLive website: “My partner was in the garden putting the washing out at the time and suddenly he saw it swoop down. It carried Gizmo a fair way as we couldn’t see him anymore.
So the only actual witness is "My partner".

From (BBC!) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49070562
Quote:Gizmo, four, was described as a small, brown dog, weighing 4.4lb (2kg)

Unlike eagles and their ilk a seagull has webbed feet so if it is going to pick anything up (and they can and do) they have to do it with their beak. Big seagulls (obviously) look big but under the feathers is a basic chicken plan with a maximum weight of less than 4lb (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_herring_gull ). The search for Gizmo should start much closer to home - probably in a nearby dustbin.
(Jul 23, 2019 12:18 AM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]Somewhat within bird hobbies is a fake news story about a seagull. I may get round to a another story in the fullness of time - when I feel a bit stronger. [...] Unlike eagles and their ilk a seagull has webbed feet so if it is going to pick anything up (and they can and do) they have to do it with their beak. Big seagulls (obviously) look big but under the feathers is a basic chicken plan with a maximum weight of less than 4lb (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_herring_gull ). The search for Gizmo should start much closer to home - probably in a nearby dustbin.

As if seagulls don't get a bad enough rap, already. Now they're elevated to the living legendary status of extinct, giant Haast's eagles that swooped down and carried off Maori children.
Seagull football mascots fear abuse after Gizmo snatch as new season starts
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-...all-season

INTRO: Ed Woodgates, who is Gilbert the Gull, is worried about being targeted on the pitch. He is the mascot at Torquay near Paignton, Devon, where Gizma the chihuahua was snatched by a gull. Ed said: “I will probably get some chants because of that, knowing what football fans are like. “Some away fans do give it large. But we always have young children as individual match mascots in club kit and if I take them round I find fans tend to tone it down and avoid bad language, so hopefully that will work.”

Other seaside targets could be Fleetwood’s Captain Cod and Southend’s Sammy the Shrimp. (MORE)

Devon's seagull cull: The day GUNSHOTS sounded across the bay
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-new...ts-3141391

INTRO: The gull: A protected species of marine bird to some, an aggressive and unhygienic menace to others. It's no surprise that seagulls have become a topic of national discussion this week, with a series of incidents originating with the alleged kidnap of a small dog in Paignton. So it is timely that a pensioner from Torbay has brought back to light the tale of an organised culling in 1975 that saw gunfire, and a subsequent flurry of strong opinion, heard across Torquay.... (MORE)
Saw similar, big hawk fly off with a poor Yorkie. One yelp as it’s claws finished Travis off before the dog became air cargo.
Disturbing Photo Shows a Black Skimmer Feeding a Cigarette Butt to Its Chick
https://www.audubon.org/news/disturbing-...-its-chick

EXCERPT: . . . But last month, while photographing her big-billed subjects, Karen Mason captured an adult Black Skimmer feeding its chick something that didn’t look like a fish—or anything else she recognized. Later, after she got home and blew up the photo to reveal the mysterious object, she couldn't believe what she saw: The chick was holding a cigarette butt.

Mason says she didn't see if the chick ate the butt, but just the sight of the baby bird with a filter in its beak was enough to anger her. “There’s no excuse for it,” she says. “I don't know if people don’t realize how toxic cigarette butts are or that they’re not really biodegradable, but it just really upset me.”

Each year, trillions of cigarette filters end up as litter worldwide. [...] Studies have shown cigarette butts to have negative impacts on a variety of animals, but so far there's been little research on whether wild birds eat discarded filters or if they are poisoned by them. The scant evidence that does exist points to a high likelihood on both fronts. ... The likely consumption of cigarette butts isn't just limited to shorebirds. ... What's worse, the addition of flavored tobacco products may attract birds with their fruity smells, says Thomas Novotny, who researches the environmental impacts of tobacco as a professor at San Diego State University.

Even when they don’t cause death in wildlife, eating cigarette butts can lead to nausea, vomiting, and seizures, Novotny says. Birds might be at a greater risk because their small size and fast metabolism means they absorb nicotine and other chemicals faster, requiring less toxins to cause harm. Simply being in contact with the butts could also pose issues for birds. [...] Cigarette butts aren't just a hazard for hungry animals, either: They also can end up in the mouths of toddlers.

[...] evidence like Mason's Black Skimmer photograph can convince individuals to take action against cigarette butt pollution. Since her picture went viral, people have dedicated beach cleanups to the chick and told Mason that they would be more mindful of where they put their smoking byproducts. "It's not going to be everybody," Mason says, "but every little bit helps." (MORE - details, image)
Video Report: Staring at seagulls makes them 'too shy' to steal food, say researchers (UK)
https://news.sky.com/video/staring-at-se...s-11778956
CC links to a report from the University of Exeter about finding shy seagulls. I'm only a few (15?) miles away so I think we're both looking at the same sort of birds.
Every few months I go to sit on the same bench to eat a sandwich. Every time just one seagull turns up and waits about ten paces away. If I look directly at the bird it looks away kind'a pretending "Just standing here - nothing to do with you and the sandwich.". Every time I am won over by the charm, courtesy and beauty of the bird and it gets the last bit of the sandwich. I have watched momma seagull teaching baby seagull (the little one in the avatar thing) how to beg from tables - keep a safe distance and look and sound pathetic. It isn't fair to treat seagulls like they are all the worst of the species - there's bad 'uns and good 'uns as with any population. I do think of my local birds as (sort of) family. If I can help them I will. They say these birds will attack anyone threatening their chicks. I'm not sure they can figger that putting a camera down a few feet from their chicks isn't threatening but certainly I have done it without being attacked.
(Aug 8, 2019 11:00 PM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]. . . Every few months I go to sit on the same bench to eat a sandwich. Every time just one seagull turns up and waits about ten paces away. If I look directly at the bird it looks away kind'a pretending "Just standing here - nothing to do with you and the sandwich.". Every time I am won over by the charm, courtesy and beauty of the bird and it gets the last bit of the sandwich...

Sounds like the dog I take for a circuitous walk. It acts like it's gung-ho to see a repeat of the same scenery each time, but what it's really yenning for is the meal at the completion of it.
Plastic debris is altering the blood composition of seabirds
https://www.salon.com/2019/08/12/plastic...-seabirds/

EXCERPT: . . . In a new study published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology, scientists outlined how ingesting plastic seems to be altering the health and overall physiology of seabirds. The study analyzed blood and plastic samples collected from Flesh-footed Shearwaters, whose populations are declining across the Southwest Pacific Ocean, off the coast of the tiny Australian island, Lord Howe Island.

[...] The study found that the seabirds had reduced blood calcium levels, body mass, wing length, and head and bill length. Plastic worsened the birds’ kidney function, in addition to affecting their cholesterol and enzymes levels. Until now, there has been little information about the blood composition of seabirds who have ingested plastic. Partly because mortalities usually happen out at sea, and the carcasses are decomposed before scientists can get to them. Perhaps the most surprising finding, though, was that for some blood parameters the mere presence of plastic had an effect. “In other words, the values weren’t necessarily related to how much plastics the bird had ingested, but just the fact that it had ANY plastics in its stomach,” Bond said. “This gets us closer to understanding how much plastics is needed before it starts affecting wildlife.”

What is it about plastic that is altering blood composition in these birds? Scientists still don’t know. “This is the million dollar question” Bond said. “It could be a combination of the plastics themselves or the contaminants they bring with them. Ultimately that’s the next step is for us to understand what this means for the birds themselves, and figure out what they’re trying to tell us.” [...] When it comes to seabird dying by plastic ingestion, the numbers are high. An estimated 70 percent of Northern Fulmars who have died and washed up on shore have plastic inside them, a trend that has been on the rise over the last several decades. (MORE - details)
Pages: 1 2