Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Why the constant trashing of antidepressants is absurd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://aeon.co/essays/why-the-constant-...-is-absurd

EXCERPT: . . . Broadly, depression is a chronic, recurring and debilitating disease that turns you into a prostrated citizen, an absent or incompetent employee, a needy friend, a self-absorbed partner, a useless parent. You can’t think clearly, you can’t make decisions, often you can’t get out of bed in the morning and, even if you manage to stand up, you won’t find anything worth engaging with, not even your regular hobbies or your dearest friends and relatives. You also tend to ruminate endlessly, fuelled by feelings of guilt and worthlessness, which sometimes leads to suicide ideation, suicide attempt and death.

[...] It is obvious that the discomfort I once felt over taking antidepressants echoed a lingering, deeply ideological societal mistrust. Articles in the consumer press continue to feed that mistrust. The benefit is ‘mostly modest’, a flawed analysis in The New York Times told us in 2018. A widely shared YouTube video asked whether the meds work at all. And even an essay on Aeon this year claims: ‘Depression is a very complex disorder and we simply have no good evidence that antidepressants help sufferers to improve.’

The message is amplified by an abundance of poor information circulating online about antidepressants in an age of echo chambers and rising irrationality. Although hard to measure, the end result is probably tragic since the ideology against antidepressants keeps those in pain from seeking and sticking to the best available treatment, as once happened to me. Although I am a research scientist, I work on topics unrelated to brain diseases, and my research is not funded by the ‘pharma industry’ – the disclaimer feels silly but, trust me, it is needed. I write here mainly as a citizen interested in this topic. I take for granted that a world without depression would be a better place [...]

[...] Even decades after many of these treatments emerged to change the landscape of psychiatry, they are still hotly debated by people ‘full of passionate intensity’, to quote from W B Yeats’s poem ‘The Second Coming’ (1921). The American actor Tom Cruise, boosted by Scientology, and the English writer and critic Will Self, universalising what must have been a terrible personal experience with therapeutic drugs and a psychiatrist, have both pontificated against antidepressants, spreading the typical ideology-driven myths.

Some of those myths, such as the idea that these drugs are addictive ‘happy pills’ that produce the ‘high’ of a recreational drug, are pure lies; anyone who echoes them could be easily exposed as dishonest or ignorant. The most common antidepressants do cause withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, but reports of addiction to antidepressants are rare and tend to occur in patients with a history of drug or alcohol abuse. Unlike recreational drugs that are highly addictive, such as cocaine or heroin, antidepressants do not hijack the reward circuit that is associated with the euphoric rush of another neurotransmitter, dopamine.

The discussion gets more complicated when the scientific evidence for or against the effectiveness of antidepressants is evoked. Such evidence comes mostly from randomised trials [...] The conclusions of these studies can be distorted by different sources of error. The most important source of error is publication bias; much of the research is funded by the pharma industry, where there is a tendency to report studies that find positive effects for antidepressants, while studies that find no effect are left in the drawer.

[...] All these issues are compounded in the popular mind by the tendency to emphasise not individual randomised trials but meta-analyses that combine multiple studies to increase the sample size, iron out discrepancies between different studies, and eventually extract a more valid, that is to say, statistically robust, conclusion. However, the ‘garbage in, garbage out’ dictum of computer science applies perfectly to these exercises. If a relevant proportion of the original studies is fundamentally flawed, the meta-analysis will not fix that problem.

[...] It would be unscientific to describe the work of Andrea Cipriani and colleagues as the definitive word on the topic, but it’s the best study we have so far. The message is clear: antidepressants are better than placebo; they do work, although the effects are mostly modest, and some work better than others. This paper was an important confirmation in times of a reproducibility crisis in so many scientific fields. We don’t have to look too far: a major study was published this spring that does not confirm the association of any of the 18 genes that were reanalysed and had been proposed to be associated with MDD. Now that the scale has dramatically tilted in favour of antidepressants’ efficacy, it is likely that the critics will keep insisting that we remain mostly ignorant about the causes of depression.

[...] The human body contains at least 12,000 metabolites. On the day of his final exam, a biochemistry major might know a few hundred, but most of us will be able to name only a few dozen, with a clear bias for the metabolites known to influence behaviour. ... We simply do not have a consensual overarching explanation for how SSRIs/SNRIs work in depression, and how to link these neurotransmitters to the environmental stressors, genetic factors, and immunologic and endocrine responses proposed to contribute to depression. It is also clear that restoring the chemical balance of monoamines in the brain with a pill, which only takes minutes or hours, is insufficient to immediately produce therapeutic effects, which take several weeks. Indeed, without a complete picture of the mechanism of depression, it is not surprising that the available drug treatments are not fully effective.

[...] If you ever tried to convince someone to take antidepressants, maybe you used the argument ‘antidepressants are to depression as insulin is to diabetes’. This recurrent comparison might be useful to diminish the stigma around antidepressants, but for the depressed individual the analogy has two major problems. The first is trivial: he has the option not to take antidepressants, which creates the burden of choice, whereas the diabetic will die without the insulin shots. The second is subtler, but goes to the heart of the issue: a diabetic would be furious if told that he had never needed insulin in the first place, that he had been a victim of a big scam to extort money from him for life. If the same story were told to a lifelong consumer of antidepressants, he might display public indignation as well, but deep inside some pride could emerge from the realisation that, after all, he survived on his own, without any drug. We have an inbuilt need for self-control, and the idea that a drug fixes our behaviour is not attractive. Thus, unconsciously or not, each time someone poses as a contrarian skeptic or whistleblower claiming that antidepressants don’t work, he is essentially a crowd-pleaser.

The key difference between insulin and antidepressants is that the former heals the body, whereas the latter fix the mind, and our sense of self is more strongly attached to the mind than to the body. We do not spend a minute thinking about our pancreas, unless it fails to work. In contrast, our conscience can easily become fixated on a moral dilemma when we take drugs to change the brain. Antidepressants restore the healthy state just like any other medicine, but by tapping into processes so intimately connected to our perception of the self and our moral compass, they raise an existential problem – one that is likely to gain relevance as these drugs become more refined and we leave mental-health restoration for the realm of cognitive enhancement.

The constant trashing of antidepressants has created an absurd situation. These drugs are the most rigorously scrutinised treatments for depression we have to date, yet they keep getting a bad press while ‘holistic’ approaches such as practising sports, yoga or salsa dancing, and consuming St John’s wort, Omega-3 fatty acids, soul food, daylight, Radiohead or J S Bach, perhaps even poppy extract and donkey’s milk, get a pass from everyone. Antidepressants don’t fix the sources of depression that can trigger the disease, they merely fix a biochemistry that makes some of us more vulnerable to stress and life in general. It is a truism that these drugs should be combined with life changes, and that transformative life events remain relevant for depressed individuals taking antidepressants. (MORE - details)
Maybe they are "the most rigorously scrutinised treatments for depression", but in a field that has very little rigorous scrutiny, that's not saying much. The only vulnerability is the personal propensity to enable your own self-pity, excuse-finding, and blame.
Insightful and timely piece on the reality of depression and the relief that can be found thru antidepressants. I posted it on my FB page. Thanks.
(Jul 13, 2019 09:11 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: [ -> ]Insightful and timely piece on the reality of depression and the relief that can be found thru antidepressants. I posted it on my FB page. Thanks.

there has been a movement inside the christian churches for some years against psychiatric medication.

They have been actively spreading miss information about anti depressants for around 10 years now.

Trolls like syne promote this propaganda as you can see by his post.
(Jul 13, 2019 10:35 AM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 13, 2019 09:11 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: [ -> ]Insightful and timely piece on the reality of depression and the relief that can be found thru antidepressants. I posted it on my FB page. Thanks.

there has been a movement inside the christian churches for some years against psychiatric medication.

They have been actively spreading miss information about anti depressants for around 10 years now.

Trolls like syne promote this propaganda as you can see by his post.

There's a whole movement out there of people skeptical of psychiatric meds based largely on ignorance and trivialization of psychiatric illnesses like depression. These people advance all sorts of spurious therapies in place of antidepressants and antipsychotics not the least of which is just good ole fashioned willpower. There is a naive moralization of depression, as if it is a weakness or habitual negativity that has only to be cured by affirmations and a positive attitude. Nothing could be further from the truth. Depression is not a "disease of the will" nor a mere character flaw to be ashamed of or to be overcome by optimism or holistic alternative treatments. It is proven by research to be an actual biochemical state of the brain that requires readjustment thru medications. Thank goodness for articles like this one to educate the ignorant out there on the true nature of depression and on the actual efficacy of medications in being able to treat it.
I see nothing wrong with anti-depressants in general, if they're part of a whole regimen of wellness for a patient. I think that these meds are over-prescribed and really don't get to the heart of the underlying issues of depression. Meds are designed typically to mask symptoms, and help people function, but they should be prescribed as part of a regimen that takes into account, therapy, nutrition, exercise, etc. (in my opinion)
(Jul 13, 2019 03:57 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: [ -> ]There's a whole movement out there of people skeptical of psychiatric meds based largely on ignorance and trivialization of psychiatric illnesses like depression. These people advance all sorts of spurious therapies in place of antidepressants and antipsychotics not the least of which is just good ole fashioned willpower. There is a naive moralization of depression, as if it is a weakness or habitual negativity that has only to be cured by affirmations and a positive attitude. Nothing could be further from the truth. Depression is not a "disease of the will" nor a mere character flaw to be ashamed of or to be overcome by optimism or holistic alternative treatments. It is proven by research to be an actual biochemical state of the brain that requires readjustment thru medications. Thank goodness for articles like this one to educate the ignorant out there on the true nature of depression and on the actual efficacy of medications in being able to treat it.

Written by a depressive justifying himself. There is no evidence of chemical imbalances in the brain. You've bought into fictionalized depictions in anti-depressant med ads.

Here, educate yourself:

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/depress...yths-again
Ironically, anti-psychiatry groups are quite right in heaping scorn on the “chemical imbalance theory” of mental illness, but not for the reasons they usually give. (I hasten to add that debunking the CIT is not to deny that biological factors play an important role in serious mental illness, including but not limited to major depression, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia—see below). The fact is, there could never have been a scientifically based “chemical imbalance theory” of mental illness, because a genuine theory requires an integrated network of well-supported, interlinked hypotheses. And yes, the frequently ignored distinction between a theory and a hypothesis is crucial. It is the key to understanding why claims by antipsychiatry bloggers regarding the CIT nearly always crash and burn.

The “theory” that never was

Scientifically speaking, there never was a network of validated hypotheses capable of sustaining a full-blown, global “chemical imbalance theory” of mental illness in general. Moreover—and here we come back to Myth #2—psychiatry as a profession and medical specialty never endorsed such a bogus “theory,” when judged by its professional organizations; its peer-reviewed publications; its standard textbooks5 or its official pronouncements. Furthermore, the whole notion of some looming, monolithic “Psychiatry” is absurd on its face, as my colleague, Dr George Dawson,6 has cogently argued.

To be sure: what many psychiatrists in the 1980s and 1990s did promote was some version of the biogenic amine (or catecholamine) hypothesis of mood disorders, focusing mainly on the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and serotonin. (Schizophrenia was conventionally explained by the now outdated “dopamine hypothesis.”). And, in truth, the significance of serotonin was considerably over-emphasized—owing to what Roger S. McIntyre, MD has facetiously called, “Psychiatry’s High School Crush.”7 Furthermore, the “SSRIs” were accorded a rock-star status as effective antidepressants that they did not deserve. Most troubling from the standpoint of misleading the general public, pharmaceutical companies heavily promoted the “chemical imbalance” trope in their direct-to-consumer advertising.8 But to be clear: there was no concerted attempt by “Psychiatry” as a profession to promote a causal or etiological theory of mental illness in general, based solely on “chemical imbalances.”

And there is no evidence that biological factors precede mental disorders. It's just as likely that mental states alter biological factors...which has been proven through studies about epigenetic changes.
Hmm...Idk about that ^^

It's been proven that many cases of depression have to do with neutrotransmitter issues, and seratonin levels being depleted. Having said that, meds as part of a total wellness program, will be helpful. Many cases of depression have been known to improve simply by exercising daily, and eating less sugar. ''Chemical imbalances'' don't automatically mean that prescription drugs are the only solution.

I would just caution anyone to not become solely dependent on prescription drugs. Pharmaceutical companies are billion dollar industries for a reason. They're the ones that seem to be reaping the most advantages...along with doctors whose patients often become reliant on them for their next script.
(Jul 13, 2019 07:31 PM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm...Idk about that ^^

It's been proven that many cases of depression have to do with neutrotransmitter issues, and seratonin levels being depleted.

"have to do with" does not prove "caused by". Two things can be correlated without either causing the other.
(Jul 13, 2019 07:40 PM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 13, 2019 07:31 PM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm...Idk about that ^^

It's been proven that many cases of depression have to do with neutrotransmitter issues, and seratonin levels being depleted.

"have to do with" does not prove "caused by". Two things can be correlated without either causing the other.

True, but that's why I also stated that prescription drugs should be considered as part of a broader picture of health and wellness. Many doctors are lazy though, and patients are little more than cattle being shuffled in and out, ten minutes to discuss symptoms, and then a script is offered.

Many doctors are just drug dealers incognito.  Dodgy

Not to say I have a mistrust of the medical industry, but it thrives on pushing drugs to patients. I remember when I had a bout of insomnia a few years ago, and it was largely due to stress from work. The doctor didn't ask me any questions...ANY. I simply shared that I had been struggling with sleep for a few months, and boom...a script was given to me for a sleep aid. No questions. I don't think that scenario is an anomaly, sadly.
Pages: 1 2