Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Is dark matter responsible for life to exist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been curious about dark matter lately, and in exploring the topic a bit more, it's pretty crazy to think that without dark matter, life simply wouldn't exist. Dark matter is so mysterious and it's undetectable, yet without it, life on Earth would probably not exist. 

Does it come down to gravity, that dark matter provides? Sorry if this is a silly question, but is that its purpose?
Stars and their supernova explosions "cook-up" the more complicated elements on the periodic table. One argument is that due to dark matter surrounding a galaxy, it corrals the high-speed ejecta of supernovas which otherwise would enter and be lost to intergalactic space, in great quantities. That rich in heavy elements ejecta is thereby recycled back into a galaxy, and it is necessary for rocky planet formation and the potential of life arising in the genesis of later generation stars. Thus dark matter would play a key role in our being here.

DM's effects and detection are indeed just via gravity, since the term typically (but not always) refers to non-baryonic matter which cannot interact via electromagnetism (visible light, microwaves, radio frequencies, etc). Dark matter is recruited, among other things, to explain the rotation of galaxies, the motions of clusters, and the largest scale-structure of the cosmos.

Stars on the outskirts of galaxies travel faster than they should, suggesting the gravitational influence of a hidden halo of surrounding mass. Groups of galaxies need more mass than what is astronomically measured to hold them together. Due to large objects or collections of them warping space (general relativity), the bent paths of light resulting from that permits indication of and some mapping of where dark matter is located. There is an array of other evidence for DM stemming from cosmic microwave background characteristics, redshift-space distortions, etc.

Modifications to our understanding of gravity and the additions of new forces have been proposed as alternatives to dark matter. But they usually could only replace the role of dark matter in specific areas of the multiple-source evidence for and need of DM, rather than all of that territory. IOW, it's a situation of a single comprehensive explanation (dark matter) versus the clumsiness of a mix of hypotheses.
(Jul 12, 2019 10:02 PM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]Stars and their supernova explosions "cook-up" the more complicated elements on the periodic table. One argument is that due to dark matter surrounding a galaxy, it corrals the high-speed ejecta of supernovas which otherwise would enter and be lost to intergalactic space, in great quantities. That rich in heavy elements ejecta is thereby recycled back into a galaxy, and it is necessary for rocky planet formation and the potential of life arising in the genesis of later generation stars. Thus dark matter would play a key role in our being here.

DM's effects and detection are indeed just via gravity, since the term typically (but not always) refers to non-baryonic matter which cannot interact via electromagnetism (visible light, microwaves, radio frequencies, etc). Dark matter is recruited, among other things, to explain the rotation of galaxies, the motions of clusters, and the largest scale-structure of the cosmos.

Stars on the outskirts of galaxies travel faster than they should, suggesting the gravitational influence of a hidden halo of surrounding mass. Groups of galaxies need more mass than what is astronomically measured to hold them together. Due to large objects or collections of them warping space (general relativity), the bent paths of light resulting from that permits indication of and some mapping of where dark matter is located. There is an array of other evidence for DM stemming from cosmic microwave background characteristics, redshift-space distortions, etc.

Modifications to our understanding of gravity and the additions of new forces have been proposed as alternatives to dark matter. But they usually could only replace the role of dark matter in specific areas of the multiple-source evidence for and need of DM, rather than all of that territory. IOW, it's a situation of a single comprehensive explanation (dark matter) versus the clumsiness of a mix of hypotheses.
Thanks, CC. I think what I find most interesting about DM is that it isn't detectable as scientists detect other mass, and yet it's so vital to keep the universe ''in order.'' I'll find the article that I posted on SF, about this - it speaks to how life wouldn't exist on earth without DM.
Here you go, CC (and anyone else interested)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswitha...433e7b3879
(Jul 12, 2019 07:11 PM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ]I've been curious about dark matter lately, and in exploring the topic a bit more, it's pretty crazy to think that without dark matter, life simply wouldn't exist. Dark matter is so mysterious and it's undetectable, yet without it, life on Earth would probably not exist. 

Does it come down to gravity, that dark matter provides? Sorry if this is a silly question, but is that its purpose?

anything that helps create accretion disk etc etc ..
must by default be accountable to contribute the fundamentals
however, i do soundly believe in panspermia via comets
(Jul 14, 2019 08:01 AM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 12, 2019 07:11 PM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ]I've been curious about dark matter lately, and in exploring the topic a bit more, it's pretty crazy to think that without dark matter, life simply wouldn't exist. Dark matter is so mysterious and it's undetectable, yet without it, life on Earth would probably not exist. 

The idea behind Panspermia is gaining popularity. I think that without dark matter though, that might not even come into play. That is actually a good point you bring up though, RS. If dark matter didn't exist, would there be an opportunity for life to exist?
(Jul 14, 2019 06:24 PM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ]

The idea behind Panspermia is gaining popularity. I think that without dark matter though, that might not even come into play. That is actually a good point you bring up though, RS. If dark matter didn't exist, would there be an opportunity for life to exist?

In one sense, I guess you could argue that if anything was different in our Universe life might not exist but who knows. We only know about live on Earth and I'm not sure what Earth would be like without Dark Matter.

I understand that the rotation rates in the outer galaxy would be slower. Would Earth and live not exist if that were the case? I don't know, do you? Smile
(Jul 19, 2019 04:28 AM)Seattle Wrote: [ -> ]

In one sense, I guess you could argue that if anything was different in our Universe life might not exist but who knows. We only know about live on Earth and I'm not sure what Earth would be like without Dark Matter.

I understand that the rotation rates in the outer galaxy would be slower. Would Earth and live not exist if that were the case? I don't know, do you? Smile

I think I know you?  Big Grin

Yay, welcome Seattle!
(Jul 19, 2019 04:33 AM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 19, 2019 04:28 AM)Seattle Wrote: [ -> ]

I think I know you?  Big Grin

Yay, welcome Seattle!
Yes, you do know me. Thanks. Smile