Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: College students and KKK agree on segregation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was going to ask Syne for a summary before watching it but I generally respect the points Syne makes and so I watched it anyway. College students and KKK agree on segregation is a fair summary. Possibly an element of finding a white chick with very little brain and making a story out of it. Hard to say from where I am.
Students4Justice: "Efforts to have Safe Spaces for students of color to grieve and react to harmful, racist, messages were overrun with white students who did not allow for the space to remain safe."

So in contrast, it's curious in this video to see the interviewed black students in essence agreeing with the conservative National Review (the idea in general): "Nashia Whittenburg, the director of multicultural affairs at NC State, argues that this move [black "safe spaces" & segregation] could improve student retention by making “underrepresented” students feel more welcomed. I think this is one of the many instances where an administrator with an essentially useless job is trying to keep busy and look important. The fixation on race won’t do anything to help minority students live in America. [...] Law professor Irving Joyner responds that a defense [for such segregation] might be that a university has a “compelling interest” in ensuring that no students feel “alienated.” Nonsense — the best way to keep students from feeling alienated is to stop treating them as group “representatives” and treat them just like all the other students."

Apparently it's okay for other special interest groups to declare that they want segregated "safe spaces" and living quarters, but it's a no-no for African-Americans, even divided among themselves about the issue -- i.e., it's not just guilt-trip white people wringing their hands over it due to history. (A group demanded a space for students of color. Now they say they’re being called racists.)

###
I am reminded of Tom Lehrer and 'National brotherhood week'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUwbZ9AlSPI

Oh, the white folks hate the black folks
And the black folks hate the white folks
And everybody hates the jews.

Incidentally Tom Lehrer was jewish so the last line carried the same humour as the rest.

In the UK the last line was changed to 'And everybody hates the French' which was locally more topical.

If you want to differentiate between Americans by origin it does strike me you should have 'European Americans', 'African Americans', 'Other Americans' and the actual remaining Americans that weren't exterminated... far be it from me (a European) to comment on the US's proud heritage.
When you see all the Hubble telescope pictures in the public domain - and so much more - I'm left wondering why those American guys can't sort themselves out a bit better. Whatever it looks like I think Syne is coming from the same starting point.
(Apr 6, 2019 07:23 PM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]Students4Justice: "Efforts to have Safe Spaces for students of color to grieve and react to harmful, racist, messages were overrun with white students who did not allow for the space to remain safe."

So in contrast, it's curious in this video to see the interviewed black students in essence agreeing with the conservative National Review (the idea in general): "Nashia Whittenburg, the director of multicultural affairs at NC State, argues that this move [black "safe spaces" & segregation] could improve student retention by making “underrepresented” students feel more welcomed. I think this is one of the many instances where an administrator with an essentially useless job is trying to keep busy and look important. The fixation on race won’t do anything to help minority students live in America. [...] Law professor Irving Joyner responds that a defense [for such segregation] might be that a university has a “compelling interest” in ensuring that no students feel “alienated.” Nonsense — the best way to keep students from feeling alienated is to stop treating them as group “representatives” and treat them just like all the other students."

Apparently it's okay for other special interest groups to declare that they want segregated "safe spaces" and living quarters, but it's a no-no for African-Americans, even divided among themselves about the issue -- i.e., it's not just guilt-trip white people wringing their hands over it due to history. (A group demanded a space for students of color. Now they say they’re being called racists.)  

###

Whoa, you either misread or butchered that National review quote...running two opposing views together as if they were one.

On the other hand, Nashia Whittenburg, the director of multicultural affairs at NC State, argues that this move could improve student retention by making “underrepresented” students feel more welcomed.

Is in opposition to:

I think this is one of the many instances where an administrator with an essentially useless job is trying to keep busy and look important. The fixation on race won’t do anything to help minority students live in America.

With only the latter being the conservative view. And oddly, you went and added links ONLY to the views contrary to that of the author.

"Safe Spaces for students of color to grieve and react to harmful, racist, messages" only encourages victimhood (often of the shadowboxing nature), as only victims need places to hide. And ask any black who remembers segregation, and see if they thought it made them "feel more welcomed".

And it wasn't "black students" interviewed, only random black people from the nearby neighborhood.

Where are examples of whites-only or Asians-only dorms, gyms, or graduations? Your claim that other special interest groups want safe spaces seems like a straw man.

(Apr 7, 2019 02:48 AM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]When you see all the Hubble telescope pictures in the public domain - and so much more - I'm left wondering why those American guys can't sort themselves out a bit better.  Whatever it looks like I think Syne is coming from the same starting point.

Sort ourselves out? Like the bang up job you're doing with Brexit?

And your own problems with bigotry/failed multiculturalism:

Only 28% believe migration from the Arab world has been beneficial to the UK, and 64% believe Arabs have failed to integrate.
A total of 55% of voters regard it as right for the police to use racial profiling against Arabs or Muslims for security reasons. Only 24% disagree.
- https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017...in-britain

I know that we're the most powerful country in the world, but maybe foreigners should concern themselves more with making their own countries better, perhaps by emulating American ideals, than fretting over our domestic affairs.
(Apr 7, 2019 03:54 AM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]Whoa, you either misread or butchered that National review quote...running two opposing views together as if they were one.

Wow, ya' think, sonny? The "I" in there of George Leef himself relating those views and offering his opinions about them means there are two differing views in the quote? I just hope that magnitude of light-bulb explosion over your head concerning the obvious didn't injure you.

###

(Apr 7, 2019 02:48 AM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]Whatever it looks like I think Syne is coming from the same starting point.

Starting Point or some alien planet, that's fer sure. Whose inhabitants have bizarre cognitive impairments.

###
(Apr 7, 2019 07:11 AM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 7, 2019 03:54 AM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]Whoa, you either misread or butchered that National review quote...running two opposing views together as if they were one.

Wow, ya' think, sonny? The "I" in there of George Leef himself relating those views and offering his opinions about them means there are two differing views in the quote? I just hope that magnitude of light-bulb explosion over your head concerning the obvious didn't injure you.

LOL! Obviously I didn't have any trouble distinguishing the two views, as I hold that of the author, but apparently you have trouble putting yourself in the shoes of less capable readers (or more likely, you are counting on it), who would likely have trouble when you mangle the paragraph breaks of a quote and also link to every opposing view referenced, as if that's the article's point.

I mean, you sandwiched one sentence expressing the authors view between two opposing views, adding links to those on your own, and then made up some bullshit about other special interest groups wanting safe spaces and only blacks being criticized for it, which you didn't even try to support. It's like the cognitive dissonance of black people agreeing, that safe spaces and segregation for black people is bad (even when that is opposed to the KKK), is too much for you to process without trying to massage it back into your stereotype of them.

So it's pretty clear that you disagree with the author...and the black people interviewed in the video. And the fact that you find it "curious" that the black people would agree with conservative National Review and disagree with Students4Justice quite literally means that you expect black people to all think alike (can't think for themselves), which is a racist stereotype.

Shame on you for trying to cover your assumptions based solely on skin color with these sad ad hominems.

###
Syne Wrote:Sort ourselves out? Like the bang up job you're doing with Brexit?
That would be another thread. As far as I can see the worst thing your African American population has done to your European American population is to have a dream. https://www.archives.gov/files/press/exh...speech.pdf . Such is the power of that speech that you (I) can type 'I have a dream' and that's what you get. As far as I can make out from the UK the African American Nation and the European American Nation and the American Nation are all one and the same thing. You just need to (I repeat) "sort yourselves out" in the nicest possible way.
(Apr 8, 2019 01:13 AM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]
Syne Wrote:Sort ourselves out? Like the bang up job you're doing with Brexit?
That would be another thread. As far as I can see the worst thing your African American population has done to your European American population is to have a dream. https://www.archives.gov/files/press/exh...speech.pdf . Such is the power of that speech that you (I) can type 'I have a dream' and that's what you get. As far as I can make out from the UK the African American Nation and the European American Nation and the American Nation are all one and the same thing.  You just need to (I repeat) "sort yourselves out" in the nicest possible way.

Who said the American black population ever did anything, untoward or otherwise, to its European-descended population? And who ever said the two weren't both simply Americans? That is why I rarely, if ever, use the term "African American" (as if they have dual citizenship/loyalties or something).

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." That is what conservative meritocracy is all about, as opposed to leftist identity politics of victimhood, blame, and excusing personal irresponsibility and cultural problems. The left believe in segregation and safe spaces..you know, "for their own good" (in opposition to the opinions of the black people interviewed in this video), while the right believes all people are equal and no one requires being coddled like children.

The left has a vested interest in keeping the races at odds, because without a significant degree of minority vote solidarity they'd never have any power at all. And that's all their dishonest pandering is about...power.

So the only "sorting out" is to expose the leftist usury to the vast uninformed population. And toward that goal things like #WalkAway and Blexit (blacks exiting the Democrat Party) exist.

So what do you have to say about your own need to "sort yourselves out" in the UK?
(Apr 7, 2019 03:54 AM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]And your own problems with bigotry/failed multiculturalism:

Only 28% believe migration from the Arab world has been beneficial to the UK, and 64% believe Arabs have failed to integrate.
A total of 55% of voters regard it as right for the police to use racial profiling against Arabs or Muslims for security reasons. Only 24% disagree.
- https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017...in-britain

Can't really take your criticism of another country seriously unless you can address your own problems.
Pages: 1 2