Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Real or Fake Pearls?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last weekend, I was grabbing all the vintage pearls I could find to use as wedding decorations. One pair was heavier than all the others and I noticed that the clasp was sterling silver. There were knots in between each pearl and they do feel gritty on my teeth. I’m going to take them to a local jeweler but I just found out that you can get a DNA test to accurately identify them. Pretty cool, eh?

(Mar 20, 2019 03:21 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]... I’m going to take them to a local jeweler but I just found out that you can get a DNA test to accurately identify them. Pretty cool, eh?

Geez, in all this time since OJ Simpson and "Whose yo' daddy?" shows like Maury, that route never once dawned on me. Thankfully nobody's surely focused on applying it to discover the origins of saddles placed in the bridges of guitars, to learn whether the former are made of bone, fossilized ivory, or recent illegal ivory. I could just hear him calling me in a creepy Night of The Living Dead tone as the Ecosphere and Wildlife Patrol approaches in a convoy of eight vehicles: "They're coming to get you, Sis. They're coming for you! I lied, it wasn't extracted from the tusks of frozen Siberian mammoths!"

###
That's funny! I enjoy your sense of humor, C C. 

Your last one was a mouth full.  Big Grin
My mother said real pearls always felt cool to the touch.
(Mar 21, 2019 01:10 AM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]My mother said real pearls always felt cool to the touch.

Check. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks for the tip!
(Mar 21, 2019 01:12 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 21, 2019 01:10 AM)confused2 Wrote: [ -> ]My mother said real pearls always felt cool to the touch.

Check. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks for the tip!

Natural or cultured affects the value. 

You won't get any support from PETA. 

https://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/is-t...-necklace/
(Mar 21, 2019 04:47 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/is-t...-necklace/

I did not know that. Interesting! Stress, though?
(Mar 21, 2019 07:04 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 21, 2019 04:47 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/is-t...-necklace/

I did not know that. Interesting! Stress, though?

PETA is saying you’re in possession of what amounts to the equivalent of a fur coat. Public enemy #1. 

When you feel guilty enough, sell the pearls, and donate the money to PETA. Before you do, tell them where the money came from and see if they accept it.
(Mar 22, 2019 02:02 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]PETA is saying you’re in possession of what amounts to the equivalent of a fur coat. Public enemy #1. 

When you feel guilty enough, sell the pearls, and donate the money to PETA. Before you do, tell them where the money came from and see if they accept it.

Nah. I'll probably sell the pearls to buy oysters. I haven't tried them yet but I'm tempted to. We have great place here, the Tomales Bay Oyster Company. My girlfriend said that they just taste like salty slime. She said that anything that you're not supposed to chew can't be good. One day maybe.
(Mar 22, 2019 02:18 AM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 22, 2019 02:02 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]PETA is saying you’re in possession of what amounts to the equivalent of a fur coat. Public enemy #1. 

Nah. I'll probably sell the pearls to buy oysters. I haven't tried them yet but I'm tempted to. We have great place here, the Tomales Bay Oyster Company. My girlfriend said that they just taste like salty slime. She said that anything that you're not supposed to chew can't be good. One day maybe.

Big Grin  That works.

Was on a winter adventure in Algonquin Park years ago. It was so cold that one of our group was showing symptoms of hypothermia. We luckily found an unoccupied cabin in the woods. Had to break the lock to enter. Managed to get a fire going and warm everybody up including the patient. We checked the cupboards for food and all we found was a can of oysters. Nobody would touch them.  Big Grin 

We left a note explaining why the place was broken into. Never heard boo from the owner.