Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Lunar eclipse this weekend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well it looks like we won't see it. First major snowstorm due this weekend.

Remember talking to someone once who said it's no coincidence (but divine in nature) that the moon during a solar eclipse is faraway enough in space to match the size of the Sun as it appears in the sky to us. I looked at him kind of strange thinking WTF, this guy probably believes the Earth is flat, idk. So I was wondering if I was standing on the moon during a lunar eclipse, would the Earth appear the same size as the Sun? I have to believe the shadows are larger than the heavenly bodies they're cast upon but I never checked it out. Seems too bizarre to be exact.
Hope here that weather may barely be more accommodating.

~
Sorry about that, Z. Maybe it won't be as bad as predicted.

Now, if only mother nature could time this eclipse better, so I don't have to miss so much sleep to capture it.  Confused
Weather update looks like cloud cover will block the event for the AFC Championship game -- not that it had much chance of happening during the the 4th quarter, anyway (lengthy overtime or a power outage delaying proceedings is a remote possibility).

Why the "Super Blood Wolf Moon" is a good omen for Patriots vs. Chiefs (2-3 days ago)
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriot...-vs-chiefs

~
Looks like I won't be able to see much because it's due to keep raining all day. Since tomorrow is Monday, I'm not sure staying awake to watch it would have been a wise choice, anyway. But still. Mother Nature is taking the option from me.  Sleepy
Rainy and overcast here in Oregon. Typical..
I missed it but a friend of mine who lives on the west coast took some pics, and it looked ominous. Really special!
(Jan 22, 2019 03:20 AM)Leigha Wrote: [ -> ]I missed it but a friend of mine who lives on the west coast took some pics, and it looked ominous. Really special!

Some areas saw a 22-degree halo for hours afterwards. Not rare at all, but still a nice post-addition to an eclipse. Particularly striking when the Moon was located at the center of the sky, with the ring around it enhancing the appearance of a celestial dome.

~
I caught it live, but for everyone else, I came across this:
EDIT:Better video