Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: What's my word?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’m blanking. What’s it called when sound switches from ear to ear like in this 3D audio experience?

I love it in music. There’s one spot in this song where it occurs. Why don’t they do it more often? Do you think there’s a list of songs that have this effect? I’d search for it but I forgot what it’s called.

If I know any of the current jargon for specific effects or mixings in binaural audio / recording, it would be purely accidental and resting in my memory unknowingly. Nice that I'm not such a tentative dinosaur that the public can still apparently be "wowed" by such (i.e., maybe it's not as pervasive as I'd have expected by now). Does the present-day version of holo-aural or "3D" microphones still have those token ear shapes? (Heck, I suppose even that design could have been functional rather than aesthetic. Teen days long gone, lost touch with certain things as soon as my brother and his interests moved out of the house ahead of me.)

~
(Oct 11, 2018 05:10 PM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]If I know any of the current jargon for specific effects or mixings in binaural audio / recording, it would be purely accidental and resting in my memory unknowingly. Nice that I'm not such a tentative dinosaur that the public can still apparently be "wowed" by such (i.e., maybe it's not as pervasive as I'd have expected by now). Does the present-day version of holo-aural or "3D" microphones still have those token ear shapes? (Heck, I suppose even that design could have been functional rather than aesthetic. Teen days long gone, lost touch with certain things as soon as my brother and his interests moved out of the house ahead of me.)

~

Binaural recording; that'll work. I'll check it out. 

You're awesome, C C. I'm still easily "wowed" by your extensive vocabulary.  

Thanks, C C!