Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Liberals & conservatives are narcissistic in different ways, study finds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.psypost.org/2018/09/liberals...inds-52140

EXCERPT: . . . “Narcissism appeared to be a character trait ideally suited to explore in the political realm — its measures were specific, focused not only on evaluation of self but others, and how others view us, and self in society, naturally focused on self-interest, and contained all those elements at the heart of politics — entitlements, superiority of person and ideas, ego aggrandizement, exploitation, authority seeking, and so forth. Once we started mapping populist motivations with narcissistic activation, the similarities became clear — the superiority of ideas, overvaluation of the in-group and demands for special treatment are only a few. So we found all the makings of a theoretically robust research program."

[...] For their study, the researchers surveyed a nationally-representative sample of 750 American adults between October 26 and November 1, 2016. Using the Narcissistic Personality Inventory, they found that levels of narcissism were about equal among liberals and conservatives. But a higher sense of entitlement was associated with more conservative positions, while exhibitionism was associated with more liberal positions.

[...] “We only scratched the surface on individual attitudes — perhaps some are highly narcissistically regulated while others are not? I could go on, but clearly we are only at the beginning.”

MORE: https://www.psypost.org/2018/09/liberals...inds-52140

People scoring high on entitlement agree with statements like “I insist upon getting the respect that is due me” and “I expect a great deal from other people.” People scoring high on exhibitionism, on the other hand, agree with statements like “I get upset when people don’t notice how I look when I go out in public” and “I will usually show off if I get the chance.”

“The simple takeaway is that activation of one’s sense of entitlement appears to be related to individuals moving to the right, while activation of one’s need to display their values is related to left-leaning political positions,” Hatemi told PsyPost.

People who also score high on these entitlement statements are those who hold themselves to high standards, which they also apply to others.
People who agree with the exhibitionism (shamelessness) statements are just selfishly approval-seeking.