Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Acting Goofy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I don't peruse articles or lay awake at night thinking of topics, many times they're a result of what transpires during the day. Today no different.

Over at neighbors this afternoon. They needed to borrow my dehumidifier. Anyways while there all I can hear is backyard noise. They have an outdoor pool and obviously there were a bunch of guys back there causing some commotion, just a lot of yelling and screaming. Turns out my neighbor's 16 year old son had some buddies over and they were making themselves known. Oh, I forgot to mention that Bev, my neighbor had her 21 year old daughter home also and who just happened to be out by the pool too. Don't have to tell you that girl is a knockout..

Would guys behave as goofy if she wasn't there? Probably not to that extent. Got me wondering why guys do this and I have to figure it's evolution's fault. Somehow acting stupid is either a trait men think women prefer or a woman's mate selection criteria includes goofy, loud and at sometime obnoxious behavior by men. Either way it seems men are compelled to act this way in the presence of a female. Still trying to figure out if the goofiness is only temporary or in fact  continues on and if women once they have selected, eventually become more serious and attempt to stop the adolescent  silliness of their guy. 

Im wondering if that last part is a leading cause of marital acrimony. A glitch in the selection process that men & women have unwittingly fallen victim to through natural selection. Maybe it's just that men remain goofier longer than a woman desires goofiness.
Women often choose guys that can spike their emotions. Some of that is done by mood contagion, which gives them an intuitive sense of which guys are alpha males with status.
The means to give women this emotional ride should mature as men do, but it is always a factor in attraction.

It's actually the lack of such emotional spikes in a relationship that makes women unhappy. Not really the means of providing the spikes.
Quote:Women often choose guys that can spike their emotions

Yes but as the title suggests, we act. It's primarily fake. Intended to fool. Once youre captured then the real deal returns. Come to think of it, so much of what we do to attract a mate is an act.
Not acting at all. The presence of an attractive female naturally elevates their mood and promotes, even goofy, competition.

The problem is that modern culture has stifled free expression. Men are raised thinking women actually want what they say they do, while the women largely have no clue.
If Syne knew what women wanted, he’d have one by now.

They act goofy all the time, even more so when females aren’t around. Trust me, I just had a house full of testosterone.  They were louder and way more vulgar when they were alone.  I have a game room upstairs and at the other end of the house.  If they close the door, I can’t hear them, but it’s the girls that usually wake me up. 

He’s gone now.  He left two days ago. My house is unpleasantly quiet, but this time, I was able to make it all the way through the airport without crying. Unfortunately, he was sent to a polluted, overcrowded, and dangerous country.  His bed is covered with netting due to the high prevalence of mosquito-borne diseases because of the poor waste management system.  Facetime helps, that’s for sure. 

His friends are young but they’re not dumb.  Most of them graduated from college this year with degrees in philosophy, political science, and economics.  I asked them why they can’t be friends with girls.  Do you know what they said?  They didn’t think of them as equals simply because when push comes to shove, they can overpower them.
(Jul 20, 2018 02:37 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ][...] His bed is covered with netting due to the high prevalence of mosquito-borne diseases because of the poor waste management system. Facetime helps, that’s for sure.

Best wishes that he escapes the worst of it. Hope there's finally some end to these "tours" of the world's finest ####lands on the near horizon.

Quote:[...] They didn’t think of them as equals simply because when push comes to shove, they can overpower them.

Yep. "Wisdom The private reason oft comes from the mouth of babes."

Referring to the general male youth cluster: Once they're entrenched in their careers, that will be buried under layers of formal conduct policy (employers, contractors, publishers, etc) and contemporary values deference with regard to speech, papers, client interactions, media interviews, etc. But the "good ol' boy" system and its choice moments will still be a chuggin' underground. Wink

~
(Jul 20, 2018 02:37 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]If Syne knew what women wanted, he’d have one by now.
His friends are young but they’re not dumb.  Most of them graduated from college this year with degrees in philosophy, political science, and economics.  I asked them why they can’t be friends with girls.  Do you know what they said?  They didn’t think of them as equals simply because when push comes to shove, they can overpower them.

LOL! Seeing as the best indicator of character is the five people you spend the most time with, that's a rather telling illustration of your son. That they only seem to respect physical dominance.
It wasn’t my son that said it.  It was the one that’s majoring in philosophy and all seven of them agreed with him.  Personally, I think that you’re all just jealous and resent the sexual power that women have over you.
(Jul 20, 2018 07:17 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]It wasn’t my son that said it. 
Hence "the [average of the] five people you spend the most time with".
Quote:It was the one that’s majoring in philosophy and all seven of them agreed with him.  Personally, I think that you’re all just jealous and resent the sexual power that women have over you.
So, do we really need to query why you suddenly have all this interest in my sex life?
(Jul 20, 2018 08:14 PM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]So, do we really need to query why you suddenly have all this interest in my sex life?

No, but we might wonder why you keep reading too much into things. Are you having trouble with your little dots again, goofy guy?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5