Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Lindsay Lohan: Dubai the safest place to be for celebrities (travel)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/26/style...-club.html

EXCERPT: . . . Despite decades of breathless tabloid coverage of her life, she said the public has never known the real her at all. Recently, that has been by design. “I think success is the best revenge — and silence, as a presence,” she said. “When I chose to change my future, my life, I was like, ‘Where’s the one place I can find silence?’”

That place turned out to be Dubai, where unmarried women can still be arrested or deported for the crime of becoming pregnant. It’s also a place where intruding on privacy via photography can often be illegal, and Ms. Lohan feels protected enough there to leave the doors of her penthouse apartment unlocked.

She said she first discovered Dubai in 2008, when she hosted the opening of an Atlantis resort. On her second visit, she realized there were no cameras tracking her. “That click — Karl Lagerfeld said, ‘It’s like they’re shooting guns at me,’ when I first met him at Fendi,” Ms. Lohan said. “And I felt it. You feel like you’re always watching out, you’re paranoid. It creates this paranoia in your head that’s not necessary.”

That’s part of the reason she doesn’t see herself moving from Dubai anytime soon.

"It’s the safest place. It’s less demanding. America is always like, ‘Go go go go go!’” Ms. Lohan said. “I don’t have to turn on the news and see about the Kardashians. I don’t have to see anything anymore. I choose what I want to see and how I want to live.”

That also means she hasn’t been following the last year in America closely, where Donald Trump’s presidency and the #MeToo movement have transformed the country’s culture into something unrecognizable from the days when Mr. Trump held a position of power over only the contestants on “The Apprentice” and photographers made sport of shooting pictures up Ms. Lohan’s skirt as she got in and out of cars.

At the same time, it’s an eerily familiar landscape. In 2004, Mr. Trump publicly mused on whether the freckles on Ms. Lohan’s chest made her more or less sexually attractive. She was 18 at the time. (He left that question unanswered but concluded that her “wreck” of a father could only add to the experience of sleeping with her.)

“She’s probably deeply troubled and therefore great in bed,” Mr. Trump told Howard Stern on his radio show. “How come the deeply troubled women, you know, deeply, deeply troubled, they’re always the best in bed?”

That’s another thing Ms. Lohan wants to leave in the past. “Here’s the thing: very simple with politics,” she said. “He’s the president. No matter what anyone says, he’s still the president. I have no feeling. I have no emotion.”

She did say that Mr. Trump’s daughter Tiffany, an old friend who is visiting her next month in Greece, is “a really sweet girl. Nice person.”

Ms. Lohan’s own safety and well-being are her chief concerns. Though she is still close with her family, she has been keeping in touch mostly at an arm’s length, primarily through FaceTime. (“Look, I’m not in control of my family,” she said. “I’m only in control of myself. We’re all friends. My mom and dad are friends, everyone’s good.”)

Just now, turning 32 at the beginning of July, and for the first time in her life, she says she feels safe.

“If anyone in my life for one second, I feel unsafe with, they’re out,” Ms. Lohan said. “Very simple. This is it. I’m not going to complicate things. Because I’m a caretaker, I always want to give to people.”

MORE: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/26/style...-club.html
(Jun 26, 2018 11:12 PM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/26/style...-club.html

EXCERPT: . . . Despite decades of breathless tabloid coverage of her life, she said the public has never known the real her at all. Recently, that has been by design. “I think success is the best revenge — and silence, as a presence,” she said. “When I chose to change my future, my life, I was like, ‘Where’s the one place I can find silence?’”

That place turned out to be Dubai, where unmarried women can still be arrested or deported for the crime of becoming pregnant. It’s also a place where intruding on privacy via photography can often be illegal, and Ms. Lohan feels protected enough there to leave the doors of her penthouse apartment unlocked.

She said she first discovered Dubai in 2008, when she hosted the opening of an Atlantis resort. On her second visit, she realized there were no cameras tracking her. “That click — Karl Lagerfeld said, ‘It’s like they’re shooting guns at me,’ when I first met him at Fendi,” Ms. Lohan said. “And I felt it. You feel like you’re always watching out, you’re paranoid. It creates this paranoia in your head that’s not necessary.”

That’s part of the reason she doesn’t see herself moving from Dubai anytime soon.

"It’s the safest place. It’s less demanding. America is always like, ‘Go go go go go!’” Ms. Lohan said. “I don’t have to turn on the news and see about the Kardashians. I don’t have to see anything anymore. I choose what I want to see and how I want to live.”

That also means she hasn’t been following the last year in America closely, where Donald Trump’s presidency and the #MeToo movement have transformed the country’s culture into something unrecognizable from the days when Mr. Trump held a position of power over only the contestants on “The Apprentice” and photographers made sport of shooting pictures up Ms. Lohan’s skirt as she got in and out of cars.

At the same time, it’s an eerily familiar landscape. In 2004, Mr. Trump publicly mused on whether the freckles on Ms. Lohan’s chest made her more or less sexually attractive. She was 18 at the time. (He left that question unanswered but concluded that her “wreck” of a father could only add to the experience of sleeping with her.)

“She’s probably deeply troubled and therefore great in bed,” Mr. Trump told Howard Stern on his radio show. “How come the deeply troubled women, you know, deeply, deeply troubled, they’re always the best in bed?”

That’s another thing Ms. Lohan wants to leave in the past. “Here’s the thing: very simple with politics,” she said. “He’s the president. No matter what anyone says, he’s still the president. I have no feeling. I have no emotion.”

She did say that Mr. Trump’s daughter Tiffany, an old friend who is visiting her next month in Greece, is “a really sweet girl. Nice person.”

Ms. Lohan’s own safety and well-being are her chief concerns. Though she is still close with her family, she has been keeping in touch mostly at an arm’s length, primarily through FaceTime. (“Look, I’m not in control of my family,” she said. “I’m only in control of myself. We’re all friends. My mom and dad are friends, everyone’s good.”)

Just now, turning 32 at the beginning of July, and for the first time in her life, she says she feels safe.

“If anyone in my life for one second, I feel unsafe with, they’re out,” Ms. Lohan said. “Very simple. This is it. I’m not going to complicate things. Because I’m a caretaker, I always want to give to people.”

MORE: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/26/style...-club.html

Quote:I choose what I want to see and how I want to live.”

pure capitalism is a predator