Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: A Change is Coming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Now in its fifth year, 100 Women will be looking at four issues: the glass ceiling, female illiteracy, street harassment and sexism in sport.

In 2015, women hosted 150 debates in 10 languages and 30 countries, in 2016, people added 450 deserving but over-looked women to Wikipedia, and now in 2017 we're taking it to a whole new level of participation.

In 2017, we're challenging 100 Women to tackle four of the biggest problems facing women today - the glass ceiling, female illiteracy, harassment in public spaces and sexism in sport. They need your help - send us your ideas using this form.

A Change is Coming
The "glass ceiling" only exists because women make different choices than men.
(Sep 4, 2017 04:21 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]Now in its fifth year, 100 Women will be looking at four issues: the glass ceiling, female illiteracy, street harassment and sexism in sport.

In 2015, women hosted 150 debates in 10 languages and 30 countries, in 2016, people added 450 deserving but over-looked women to Wikipedia, and now in 2017 we're taking it to a whole new level of participation.

In 2017, we're challenging 100 Women to tackle four of the biggest problems facing women today - the glass ceiling, female illiteracy, harassment in public spaces and sexism in sport. They need your help - send us your ideas using this form.

A Change is Coming

There's things I'd like to say to this but they're delicate and unless I'm talking to you face to face, I think they'll be misinterpreted.......why is that?
Women are more sensitive?
(Sep 5, 2017 02:06 AM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]Women are more sensitive?

Don't really know. I'd say it has more to do with timing, like knowing when not to say something. Self preservation perhaps?  Rolleyes

Let me put it this way....Very difficult for groups to push an agenda when other members of that group aren't on board.

Just an observation, I wish these women all the best.
Ah, like it being hard to reduce women being objectified when some women seem to intentionally provoke such reactions.
(Sep 5, 2017 03:41 AM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, like it being hard to reduce women being objectified when some women seem to intentionally provoke such reactions.

Did I say that? Angel

If so, that's the easy part. There's other things, perhaps things no man can change. Like what if somebody passed an edict/law that prevented you from doing something half the world is allowed to do and you agreed with it?
(Sep 4, 2017 04:21 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]Now in its fifth year, 100 Women will be looking at four issues: the glass ceiling, female illiteracy, street harassment and sexism in sport.

Good that the last three issues are included as at least something that the overall global female population can relate to, rather than just the "Missing White Women" in top administrative roles syndrome which seems of such chief concern in the Anglo-American world.

The bamboo ceiling should be getting attention. In the terms of the tech industry, white women outnumber both minority males and females in leadership roles and management positions. Despite variegated Asian women supposedly being better educated and better paid than their white counterparts (in general, at least).  

Even if some Euro-American women are only being invited into executive roles at struggling companies to be sacrificed or thrown over the Glass ciff, it's unclear whether upper-level opportunities of high risk are really that negative in terms of second chances. Or put another way: Power is power, and the rewards of and rep from potentially saving a sinking ship (or not) is still higher echelon action that qualified Asian and other minority women might want in on.

Narrowing even more to the the US specifically... Granting that in the future its native agendas / concerns haven't been swamped diversity enriched by patriarchal Latin American Catholicism and Islamic Law... Then twenty or thirty years from now the national crisis and spotlight should be on why more transgender members of the military haven't moved up into authoritative positions.

- - - -
(Sep 5, 2017 05:33 AM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]Then twenty or thirty years from now the national crisis and spotlight should be on why more transgender members of the military haven't moved up into authoritative positions.

Can you imagine...all decked out in their sexy dressed blues. "You've Come a Long Way, Baby"

You know what they say. Progress is a slow process.
(Sep 5, 2017 08:02 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]
(Sep 5, 2017 05:33 AM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]Then twenty or thirty years from now the national crisis and spotlight should be on why more transgender members of the military haven't moved up into authoritative positions.

Can you imagine...all decked out in their sexy dressed blues.  "You've Come a Long Way, Baby"

You know what they say.  Progress is a slow process.

Oh my! Sexy tranvestite sailors sashaying across the deck seducing innocent young male sailors. Such a disgrace! Rolleyes
Pages: 1 2 3