Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: A Thief’s Worse Nightmare
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I took a little trip this weekend and somehow I always manage to get myself into some sort of trouble. 

Along the way, I stopped at an estate sale.  There was this strange looking device that said [BEAVER safe protector-bank type].  I turned it over and there was a glass vial filled with liquid. The estate company asked me if I knew what it was because they couldn't figure it out.  I was curious, so I bought it, along with a few other tools.  I put them in the back floorboard, but the tools were banging against it as I drove.  I was concerned that it may break so I put it in the seat.  I started wondering what it was and what the purpose of the liquid was for.  So, I pulled over, googled it, and found this article.  

A Safecracker’s Nightmare

And then I found this little section in this book.
The presence of tear gas can be lethal, especially if the material was produced and installed many years ago.  Tear gas was routinely placed in safes and vaults used in federal buildings and banks, especially more than twenty years ago.  Discharge can cause evacuation of a building and be dangerous to those with heart or respiratory conditions.  If the safe is quite old, the tear gas may have deteriorated and can become toxic or even deadly. This is especially true if cyanide was utilized as a primary ingredient.

LOCKS, SAFES, AND SECURITY: An International Police Reference by Marc Weber Tobias

I thought, oh, shit!  I don’t want this thing in my car.  What if I got into an accident?  I called the local sheriff’s office, told him what had happened, and asked him what I should do with it.  He advised me to take it to a nearby fire station.  He said he would call ahead and tell them that I was coming. They were waiting out front for me when I got there.  One of them had dug a hole in a snow bank in their parking lot and he put in there.  

Feeling a little relieved, I drove an hour or so north when I got a call from a hazmat agent.  She said that she was going to have to charge me for the disposal.  It would be four to five thousand dollars.  And here I thought I was preforming a public service.  I said, "Oh, hell, no!  I’ll come back and get it."

When I arrived, they had a bulldozer in front of the snowbank with warning tape all around it.  I thought it was highly irresponsible for them to return it to me, but I wasn’t about to pay the five thousand dollars.  She gave me some packing material to put around it.  I was a little pissed.  So, I just gave her a dirty look and said, "Gee, thanks."

Believe or not, I was able to get in touch with that retired bomb squad agent that was in that article.  He told me that the bomb squad unit handles it their state for free, as a matter of public safety.  He couldn't believe that they wanted to charge me for it.  He was really interested in it.  He had never seen one like mine before.  He collected them, after he disarmed them, of course.  He said that I could disable it by purchasing a kiddie pool, filling it with chlorine, and rigging up a cement block with a stick and string to break the glass, but I’d have to run like my ass was on fire.  That didn’t sound like a good option to me.

As I entered another state, I called and spoke with the head agent of their bomb squad.  I told him that according to my research, it was their responsibility to take care of it.  He said that their motto was if it was contained to not to let the Jeannie out of the bottle.  They could bury it for me, but the container would cost me fifteen hundred dollars.  They refused to take it otherwise, but said that he didn’t think the hazmat crew were qualified to handle it.  I couldn’t figure out what to do with the damn thing.  I didn’t want to bury it myself because I was worried that someone down the line might find it.  I didn’t want to shoot it because as a backpacker, you always think you’re alone out in the wilderness, but you run into other hikers quite frequently.  So, I decided to sleep on it.  

The next morning, I went to a museum.  They had old safes.  I asked them if they’d be interested in it.  He said no, but he knew someone who collected oddities that might be.  I met with him and this guy really wanted it.  He was even willing to pay me for it.  I didn’t want to sell it because it’s illegal to sell or transport.  I had to transport it, though.  I didn’t have a choice in the matter. I just wanted to get rid of it, so I just gave it to him. He owned a museum and had an antique shop.  He assured me that he’d take good care of it and promised to be morally responsible.  

I called the estate company back, told them what it was, and how much trouble it had caused me.  He was very apologetic and offered me my five bucks back.  I told him that I didn’t care about the money.  I just thought he’d be interested in knowing what it was.

Here’s a couple of pictures of it.  Mine was the round red one.  

Safe Protector

Safe Protector

Damn!  I really-really need to curb my curiosity.  Sad
i wonder f it was an old bomb or handgrenade if they would have still told you that you would need to pay for its disposal.
(May 16, 2017 04:02 AM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: [ -> ]i wonder f it was an old bomb or handgrenade if they would have still told you that you would need to pay for its disposal.

I know, right?  That's what I was thinking.  I don't normally cuss, but unfortunately, all of you get to hear my thoughts.  I was thinking what a bunch of incompetent assholes.  Fucking idiots!
(May 16, 2017 03:48 AM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]Damn!  I really-really need to curb my curiosity.  Sad

Perfect closing line at the end of each episode. Followed by the 1940s radio crackling with a preview: Tune in next week for another harrowing adventure as Sally Sleuth investigates a mysterious Mayan artifact clutched by a dying stranger. "The _ Albino_ Gang _ is _ searching _ for _ it," he gasps. "Don't _ let _ them ... uhrggh..."
(May 16, 2017 04:11 AM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 16, 2017 04:02 AM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: [ -> ]i wonder f it was an old bomb or handgrenade if they would have still told you that you would need to pay for its disposal.

I know, right?  That's what I was thinking.  I don't normally cuss, but unfortunately, all of you get to hear my thoughts.  I was thinking what a bunch of incompetent assholes.  Fucking idiots!

amazing to think they would be unable and unwilling to protect & serve anything but their own pocket-books.

law for hire...

you could have said it was a terrorist device you had found and then the state government officials would spend millions of tax dollars turning it into a photo opportunity(& not send the bill to themselves).

no expense spared to pay government officials to snoop into HC private email server and they send the bill to the tax payer($12,000,000.00 USD i beleive it was?)
but get an actual physical public danger that could kill people and they simply do not care.
sniff sniff what is that smell ? corruption ?
suddenly occured to me that a US thiefs worst nightmare is not sudden quick death. instead it is being locked in prison their entire life.
which is quite ironic really when you think of the context of morality inside the public projection of thiefs which they define as being of murderous intent hence death penalty and gun carrying laws etc...

what a bizar reality the usa is.

money 1st people 3rd

the cheaper idiology of killing someone instead of locking them up for life drives the publics financial form of justice while prisons make massive profit from working class tax money while promoting the innability for criminals to be reformed.

what is a US thiefs worste nightmare ?
(May 16, 2017 06:24 AM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 16, 2017 03:48 AM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]Damn!  I really-really need to curb my curiosity.  Sad

Perfect closing line at the end of each episode. Followed by the 1940s radio crackling with a preview: Tune in next week for another harrowing adventure as Sally Sleuth investigates a mysterious Mayan artifact clutched by a dying stranger. "The _ Albino_ Gang _ is _ searching _ for _ it," he gasps. "Don't _ let _ them ... uhrggh..."

That’s funny, C C.  Never a boring moment, that’s for sure.   Big Grin

(May 16, 2017 10:16 AM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: [ -> ]but get an actual physical public danger that could kill people and they simply do not care.

I know.  I thought that they should have treated it as a chemical weapon.  The bomb squad handled it in all of the stories that I found.  The man that I spoke with said that some of them contained phosgene.  He said that if it was phosgene the liquid would have a yellowish tinge to it, but from what I’ve read it can be colorless to light yellow depending on the impurities.  Mine was clear, but some of the information that I found said that older tear gas could degrade to something closer to nitroglycerin or cyanide.  I don’t know if that’s true or not, but either way, it didn’t sound good.  None of the personnel that I spoke with knew anything about it.  They were just passing the buck, as usual.

Booby Trap discovery

Exposure to Tear Gas from a Theft-Deterrent Device on a Safe

Oh, I forgot to tell you that they were warning me, too.  They said that if an incident involving this item occurs at any time in the future, they had all my information, and they know where to find me.  I swear...one of these days, my thoughts are going to start rolling off my tongue at a very fast pace.  "Err...no shit, Sherlock.  You fucking dolt."

Sorry, but I was really frustrated.  Blush
Could you have sued the estate? I wonder if you still can, just for the stress involved. There should be a special Darwin Awards category for those who unknowingly sell people potentially life endangering things or having the potential realized. Your situation goes beyond 'Let the buyer beware'.
(May 16, 2017 06:38 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]Could you have sued the estate? I wonder if you still can, just for the stress involved. There should be a special Darwin Awards category for those who unknowingly sell people potentially life endangering things or having the potential realized. Your situation goes beyond 'Let the buyer beware'.

Yes, I could have.  My family owns a law firm.  So, of course, I called them as soon as I heard the words 'five thousand dollars.'  He said, if she’s giving you the opportunity to pick it up then go back and get it.  Do you really want to have to file a civil suit to get your money back?  Besides, even if they have insurance, it won’t cover them if they sell you something illegal or harmful.  They may not have the money.  He said to get a video of the hazmat agent giving it back to me.  If I died from it on my trip, they’d make sure the money went towards my estate.  I jokingly said, okay, feel free to take a solid two percent.  As far as the stress is concerned, well, life is stressful, right, Zinman?

I would have preferred to hand it over to the bomb squad, but I think I made the right choice given the circumstances.

Good luck with your ordeal.
(May 16, 2017 03:48 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 16, 2017 06:24 AM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 16, 2017 03:48 AM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]Damn!  I really-really need to curb my curiosity.  Sad

That’s funny, C C.  Never a boring moment, that’s for sure.   Big Grin

(May 16, 2017 10:16 AM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: [ -> ]but get an actual physical public danger that could kill people and they simply do not care.

I know.  I thought that they should have treated it as a chemical weapon.  The bomb squad handled it in all of the stories that I found.  The man that I spoke with said that some of them contained phosgene.  He said that if it was phosgene the liquid would have a yellowish tinge to it, but from what I’ve read it can be colorless to light yellow depending on the impurities.  Mine was clear, but some of the information that I found said that older tear gas could degrade to something closer to nitroglycerin or cyanide.  I don’t know if that’s true or not, but either way, it didn’t sound good.  None of the personnel that I spoke with knew anything about it.  They were just passing the buck, as usual.

Booby Trap discovery

Exposure to Tear Gas from a Theft-Deterrent Device on a Safe

Oh, I forgot to tell you that they were warning me, too.  They said that if an incident involving this item occurs at any time in the future, they had all my information, and they know where to find me.  I swear...one of these days, my thoughts are going to start rolling off my tongue at a very fast pace.  "Err...no shit, Sherlock.  You fucking dolt."

Sorry, but I was really frustrated.  Blush

adding this in a moment of flow, will continue to read your post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_gas
Quote:Expiration
According to Mónica Krauter, a Venezuelan chemist, expired tear gas "breaks down into cyanide oxide, phosgenes and nitrogens that are extremely dangerous".[13]
so the government should be going around removing these for free as they are a perfect weapon for terrorist.
you should call back the homeland security person you chatted with and suggest that they are a clear and present danger to the aviation system, and that they should put together a national team to start going around getting them off the public.

(May 16, 2017 06:38 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [ -> ]Could you have sued the estate? I wonder if you still can, just for the stress involved. There should be a special Darwin Awards category for those who unknowingly sell people potentially life endangering things or having the potential realized. Your situation goes beyond 'Let the buyer beware'.

i think there sre special laws created to prevent sueing from an estate sale.
it protects the estate legal process.
the government could probably issue a caution notice to them if they felt it required.
im unsure how pro actively helpful to general society your various agencies are.
they seem to have all their attention taken up witht he current dismantling & chaos being reigned down on them by their supposed commander in chief.
Pages: 1 2