Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: 5000 Flushers recycled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What possible use can 5000 old toilets be put to and what could they possibly have to do with oysters?

Aw, schucks... Wink

An interesting article about an innovative project.

Quote:This is where the old toilets come in.

Jamaica Bay, a 31-square-mile body of water once teeming with oysters, will be the site of a large-scale oyster habitat composed of a "central donor bed" along with a quartet of smaller reefs or “receiving beds” made from clam and oyster shells and a few thousand crushed porcelain toilets. In all, 50,000 breeding oysters will be planted in the new in the new installation — the largest single installation of its kind in New York City history.

[Image: BillionOysterProject-NYC.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg]

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wildern...population
Quote:I never did get into eating shellfish,  I think it's because they seem like bottom feeders.

I couldn't resist Smile  It goes will with the NYC subway car reefs.
Quote:  (Seems NYC loves to take a dump in the Sea)
Yeah... I'm sure you saw what I did there.
One has to seriously contemplate why they would consume anything that comes out of a majority of ocean waters these days. I eat kippered herring on occasion and Alaskan Halibut even more rarely but that is about it for finny things.

The oysters are not for consumption however. Their presence serves several other purposes.

Quote:Now, instead of being gobbled up en masse, the oysters — reintroduced as part of the New York Harbor School’s Billion Oyster Project — will help to naturally clean New York Harbor. What’s more, oyster reefs serve as a first line of defense against catastrophic storm surges much like the surges unleashed on the city during Superstorm Sandy.