Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: When the pharmacy makes a mistake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I went to the pharmacy over the weekend to get refills on my prescriptions.  Taking those pills, I spent two sleepless nights that were punctuated with constant trips to the bathroom (watering like a sprinkler).  Curious, I checked out my pills on drugs.com.  It turns out that the pharmacy had given me heart medication rather than my normal medication.

I'm a forgiving guy, so I can understand an honest mistake, but had that error been a more exotic drug, there could have been serious consequences.  I suppose the lesson is to never take on faith that the pharmacist is beyond fault--always check your pills. Undecided
Since you would have already been familiar with the generic & brand names of your normal medication... It sounds like an additional mis-labeled, level#1 blunder on their part where you had track down and compare the shapes, sizes, colors, stamps of the pills to discover the real identity. Yikes.
(Sep 7, 2016 06:58 PM)C C Wrote: [ -> ]Since you would have already been familiar with the generic & brand names of your normal medication... It sounds like an additional mis-labeled, level#1 blunder on their part where you had track down and compare the shapes, sizes, colors, stamps of the pills to discover the real identity. Yikes.

It was the numeric stamp on the pills that gave me a line to what they were.  There are quite a variety of colors and shapes for my medications; however, the shape was something of a hint.  I was convinced it was my coffee intake that was causing the problems at first.  After the second night, I took a closer look at my prescription.  Anyway, they gave me an extra month of drugs for my trouble.  I lost two nights sleep and may have suffered a slight potassium deficiency.  I will survive.