Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Real paranormal experiences vs horror movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Visiting Al Capone’s cell in Eastern State Penitentiary, my dress strap repeatedly undid itself. Only a quick hand kept me from exposure. I’ve seen books fly off shelves and doors open unexpectedly. I’ve discovered the lip gloss I lost as a child hidden in a secret basement room in my parents’ house while a shadow slunk across the wall, and I walked through the Paramount at night only to hear murmurs and whispers of Hollywood past. None of this scares me.

Real-life paranormal experiences aren’t what you see in TV or a movie. They're much more subtle. What scares me are fictionalized accounts and paranormal reality shows. People talking about experiencing phenomena aren't uncommon in gothic tales, or in modern society. With media trending toward the paranormal in TV and film, more and more people are opening themselves to sharing their own experiences. But how much of these are real, and how much is media manipulation?

Scientific experiments on fear and the paranormal revealed three regions in human brains had disturbances when tested on people with neurological disorders who had experiences with an apparition: the insular cortex, which is involved with homeostasis, consciousness, and the processing of emotions; the parietal-frontal cortex, which navigates touch, temperature, and spacial awareness; and the temporal-parietal cortex, which is known to produce out of body experiences. When triggered through patterns, images, and sound, the brain can instill fear and suggest an entity is present.

In an interview with Live Science, University of Hertfordshire psychologist Richard Wiseman talks about the mind’s reaction to paranormal experiences. He explains that the power of suggestion, along with fear, heightens senses, allowing a person to see images or shadows. This heightened sense of terror sends blood to the fingertips and other extremities, making the person feel cold. This can lead to hyper-vigilance, which sends a person into an awareness overdrive, hearing and seeing things that may or may not be there..."===http://motherboard.vice.com/read/real-li...the-movies
Ghostly and occult affairs haven't universally and always served just the purpose of scaring, or being the bedrock for frightening tales. But the 19th and 20th centuries, in going out of their way to market them commercially as such, are still far too late on the scene to be blamed entirely for cultivating into prominence that specific characteristic / effect.