Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: New blood test for detecting colon cancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Booyah! Thank you Science! Never had a colonoscopy and have been relying on the stool sample method for years now. Seems we can all be spared that grueling indignity in the near future.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/vid...f1yCTj935U
Not covered by insurance yet. But about time they accepted the reality of people's reluctance with the inconvenience of colonoscopy, and the shortcomings of stool sample approach, and produced an alternative to both.
(Mar 14, 2024 02:25 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: [ -> ]Booyah! Thank you Science! Never had a colonoscopy and have been relying on the stool sample method for years now. Seems we can all be spared that grueling indignity in the near future.

I had one colonoscopy (routine) and never want to again. I wasn't sedated or under anaesthesia and it was uncomfortable as hell. The snakey thing with a camera on the end doesn't hurt, but they inflate your large intestine with gas and that causes the mother of all abdominal cramps. But I survived and no horrible lesions were found.

I did have super-intense (and loud) farts for rest of the day as the gas was gradually expelled again. Embarrasing.

But nope, I've been avoiding it ever since that day and my doctor seems ok with that. They send me the stool sample kit every year.
Quote: But nope, I've been avoiding it ever since that day and my doctor seems ok with that. They send me the stool sample kit every year.

Even though I got prostate cancer I refused to go through a colonoscopy despite free test kits from govt. I did have the prostate biop and that was bad enough. I always wondered about colon cancer but after my trial PET Scan in October I know don’t have it. Scan or blood test shows cancer detection research making progress.